PDA

View Full Version : K8N Pro-SLI onboard audio noise

Thany
April 29th 06, 04:18 PM
Hi folks,

I have a K8N Pro-SLI with a stereo speakerset connected to the line-out of
the onboard audio. This output always gives a certain degree of background
noise, which is very clearly audible. When there's network traffic, the
noise becomes louder than my PC. I also connected the front-audio with the
appropriate connector of my Lian-Li PC-V1000 case.

When I plugin the headphones to front-audio, the noise on the speakers is
gone, but now it's on the headphones. This indicates that the noise isn't
produced in faulty wiring between the line-out and speakers. Funny thing is,
when I disconnect the internal front-audio connector, the noise is gone, but
so is all other audio output.

I also tried the line-in as the output (by checking "Rear Speakers connected
to line-in" in volume controls) but again the same noise. This indicates
once more the problem is somewhere inside...

Does anybody know what to do about this?

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly

girondex
April 29th 06, 05:19 PM
there is a patch a nvidia website cause of the nforce 4 chip i have seen it
from hauppauge website...
"Thany" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a K8N Pro-SLI with a stereo speakerset connected to the line-out of
> the onboard audio. This output always gives a certain degree of background
> noise, which is very clearly audible. When there's network traffic, the
> noise becomes louder than my PC. I also connected the front-audio with the
> appropriate connector of my Lian-Li PC-V1000 case.
>
> When I plugin the headphones to front-audio, the noise on the speakers is
> gone, but now it's on the headphones. This indicates that the noise isn't
> produced in faulty wiring between the line-out and speakers. Funny thing
> is, when I disconnect the internal front-audio connector, the noise is
> gone, but so is all other audio output.
>
> I also tried the line-in as the output (by checking "Rear Speakers
> connected to line-in" in volume controls) but again the same noise. This
> indicates once more the problem is somewhere inside...
>
> Does anybody know what to do about this?
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Martijn Saly

Thany
April 30th 06, 01:53 AM
girondex wrote:
> there is a patch a nvidia website cause of the nforce 4 chip i have seen it
> from hauppauge website...

I'm not sure what you mean, but I installed the latest nVidia Audio driver,
but I don't hear any less noise. I didn't think it'd be a driver issue,
because the noise is audible outside Windows.

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly

RonK
April 30th 06, 02:45 AM
The Realtec AC sound chip has problems in some cases when the jumpers are
removed from the motherboard to connect the front speaker and mic.

"Thany" > wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a K8N Pro-SLI with a stereo speakerset connected to the line-out of
> the onboard audio. This output always gives a certain degree of background
> noise, which is very clearly audible. When there's network traffic, the
> noise becomes louder than my PC. I also connected the front-audio with the
> appropriate connector of my Lian-Li PC-V1000 case.
>
> When I plugin the headphones to front-audio, the noise on the speakers is
> gone, but now it's on the headphones. This indicates that the noise isn't
> produced in faulty wiring between the line-out and speakers. Funny thing
> is, when I disconnect the internal front-audio connector, the noise is
> gone, but so is all other audio output.
>
> I also tried the line-in as the output (by checking "Rear Speakers
> connected to line-in" in volume controls) but again the same noise. This
> indicates once more the problem is somewhere inside...
>
> Does anybody know what to do about this?
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Martijn Saly

jpsga
April 30th 06, 04:35 AM
"RonK" > wrote in message
.. .
> The Realtec AC sound chip has problems in some cases when the jumpers are
> removed from the motherboard to connect the front speaker and mic.
>
> "Thany" > wrote in message
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have a K8N Pro-SLI with a stereo speakerset connected to the line-out
>> of the onboard audio. This output always gives a certain degree of
>> background noise, which is very clearly audible. When there's network
>> traffic, the noise becomes louder than my PC. I also connected the
>> front-audio with the appropriate connector of my Lian-Li PC-V1000 case.
>>
>> When I plugin the headphones to front-audio, the noise on the speakers is
>> gone, but now it's on the headphones. This indicates that the noise isn't
>> produced in faulty wiring between the line-out and speakers. Funny thing
>> is, when I disconnect the internal front-audio connector, the noise is
>> gone, but so is all other audio output.
>>
>> I also tried the line-in as the output (by checking "Rear Speakers
>> connected to line-in" in volume controls) but again the same noise. This
>> indicates once more the problem is somewhere inside...
>>
>> Does anybody know what to do about this?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Martijn Saly

So, as RonK points out, when you reinstall the 5 to 6 and 9 to 10 jumpers
the rear Line-Out should have no noise.

Siuce I haven't heard the noise I can't tell what it is. I would make sure
each pair going from and to the front jack had a grounded shield. That is
four wires and two shields.
JPS

Thany
April 30th 06, 01:42 PM
jpsga wrote:
> "RonK" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> The Realtec AC sound chip has problems in some cases when the jumpers are
>> removed from the motherboard to connect the front speaker and mic.
>>
>> "Thany" > wrote in message
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I have a K8N Pro-SLI with a stereo speakerset connected to the line-out
>>> of the onboard audio. This output always gives a certain degree of
>>> background noise, which is very clearly audible. When there's network
>>> traffic, the noise becomes louder than my PC. I also connected the
>>> front-audio with the appropriate connector of my Lian-Li PC-V1000 case.
>>>
>>> When I plugin the headphones to front-audio, the noise on the speakers is
>>> gone, but now it's on the headphones. This indicates that the noise isn't
>>> produced in faulty wiring between the line-out and speakers. Funny thing
>>> is, when I disconnect the internal front-audio connector, the noise is
>>> gone, but so is all other audio output.
>>>
>>> I also tried the line-in as the output (by checking "Rear Speakers
>>> connected to line-in" in volume controls) but again the same noise. This
>>> indicates once more the problem is somewhere inside...
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what to do about this?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Martijn Saly
>>

> So, as RonK points out, when you reinstall the 5 to 6 and 9 to 10 jumpers
> the rear Line-Out should have no noise.
>
> Siuce I haven't heard the noise I can't tell what it is. I would make sure
> each pair going from and to the front jack had a grounded shield. That is
> four wires and two shields.
> JPS

I just did some experimentation with this... I connected the front-audio
pairs with jumpers. It helped, but not by a whole lot. There's still clearly
audible noise.

And even so, I do want front-audio to work. So I also tried shorting only
the 9-10 pair and only the 5-6 pair, so that the other pair is connected to
front-audio. This makes no difference at all...

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly

jpsga
April 30th 06, 04:01 PM
"Thany" > wrote in message
> jpsga wrote:
>> "RonK" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> The Realtec AC sound chip has problems in some cases when the jumpers
>>> are removed from the motherboard to connect the front speaker and mic.

>> So, as RonK points out, when you reinstall the 5 to 6 and 9 to 10 jumpers
>> the rear Line-Out should have no noise.
>>
>> Siuce I haven't heard the noise I can't tell what it is. I would make
>> sure each pair going from and to the front jack had a grounded shield.
>> That is four wires and two shields.
>> JPS
>
> I just did some experimentation with this... I connected the front-audio
> pairs with jumpers. It helped, but not by a whole lot. There's still
> clearly audible noise.
>
> And even so, I do want front-audio to work. So I also tried shorting only
> the 9-10 pair and only the 5-6 pair, so that the other pair is connected
> to front-audio. This makes no difference at all...
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Martijn Saly

*If* the rear audio ( line-Out) is acceptable when 5-6 are jumpered and 9-10
are jumpered, *then* you know that noise is being picked up by the long lead
going to the front of the case.

*If* you want to use the front jack, *then* you must shield and re-route
that long line to keep out the interference.
jps

Thany
April 30th 06, 05:19 PM
jpsga wrote:
> "Thany" > wrote in message
>> jpsga wrote:
>>> "RonK" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> So, as RonK points out, when you reinstall the 5 to 6 and 9 to 10 jumpers
>>> the rear Line-Out should have no noise.
>>>
>>> Siuce I haven't heard the noise I can't tell what it is. I would make
>>> sure each pair going from and to the front jack had a grounded shield.
>>> That is four wires and two shields.
>>> JPS
>> I just did some experimentation with this... I connected the front-audio
>> pairs with jumpers. It helped, but not by a whole lot. There's still
>> clearly audible noise.
>>
>> And even so, I do want front-audio to work. So I also tried shorting only
>> the 9-10 pair and only the 5-6 pair, so that the other pair is connected
>> to front-audio. This makes no difference at all...
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Martijn Saly
>
> *If* the rear audio ( line-Out) is acceptable when 5-6 are jumpered and 9-10
> are jumpered, *then* you know that noise is being picked up by the long lead
> going to the front of the case.
>
> *If* you want to use the front jack, *then* you must shield and re-route
> that long line to keep out the interference.
> jps

Like I said, I have 5-6 and 9-10 jumpered, but there's still clearly audible
noise. Noise which I think is unacceptable for an "HD" audio chip. Only with
headphones connected, the noise on the headphone is still there, but a LOT
less loud. But then again, all audio on the headphone is less loud.

Do you (or any other of you guys and gals) experience this noise at all? If
not even with speaker volume to max, could my board be faulty?

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly

Ian
May 3rd 06, 07:18 PM
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 01:53:19 +0100, Thany > wrote:

> girondex wrote:
>> there is a patch a nvidia website cause of the nforce 4 chip i have
>> seen it from hauppauge website...
>
> I'm not sure what you mean, but I installed the latest nVidia Audio
> driver, but I don't hear any less noise. I didn't think it'd be a driver
> issue, because the noise is audible outside Windows.

I think jpsga was correct in his advice to you that you have a grounding
problem on the FA cable. However, this may sound silly, but can you
describe the noise? Is it a hum, a buzz, a squeal, or clicks that seem to
pulse in time to other system activity (shared interrupt problem??).

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-1, 03/05/2006
Tested on: 03/05/2006 19:18:36

Thany
May 4th 06, 10:56 PM
Ian wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 01:53:19 +0100, Thany > wrote:
>
>> girondex wrote:
>>> there is a patch a nvidia website cause of the nforce 4 chip i have
>>> seen it from hauppauge website...
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean, but I installed the latest nVidia Audio
>> driver, but I don't hear any less noise. I didn't think it'd be a
>> driver issue, because the noise is audible outside Windows.
>>

> I think jpsga was correct in his advice to you that you have a grounding
> problem on the FA cable. However, this may sound silly, but can you
> describe the noise? Is it a hum, a buzz, a squeal, or clicks that seem
> to pulse in time to other system activity (shared interrupt problem??).

It doesn't sound silly :)

The noise sounds like a steady hum when everything is idle. Especially
network traffic makes it become a buzz. Also, CPU usage makes it buzz a
little, for example when dragging a window, you can "hear" the window being
dragged. Funny thing is, that during the louder buzz of network traffic,
95-100% CPU usage makes the noise go almost silent.

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly