PDA

View Full Version : Heatsink installation

Travis King
April 21st 06, 10:33 PM
I have the new Sempron and motherboard because I already ordered it three
days ago, but here's my question. My $40 Zalman heatsink instructions say
to spread the thermal paste on the CPU. I thought you were supposed to just
put a dab of it on on these CPU's and the pressure of the heatsink would
spread out the paste. Is this correct or should I follow the directions and
go ahead and spread the paste? Would it hurt anything if I spread the
paste? Thanks.

Jester
April 21st 06, 10:58 PM
"Travis King" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s21...
>I have the new Sempron and motherboard because I already ordered it three
>days ago, but here's my question. My $40 Zalman heatsink instructions say
>to spread the thermal paste on the CPU. I thought you were supposed to
>just put a dab of it on on these CPU's and the pressure of the heatsink
>would spread out the paste. Is this correct or should I follow the
>directions and go ahead and spread the paste? Would it hurt anything if I
>spread the paste? Thanks.

The idea is to get the thinnest coating over the chip. A thick layer
actually makes heat transfer worse. A firend who build pcs told me to put a
small blob on the chip, and then put a freezer bag over your finger and
spread it over the entire surface of the cpu. It should look more like its
been painted than a thick layer og grease. (this is the method I used on my
4400x2 and its idling at 28C and loaded at about 48C) I've heard of others
using a credit card or similar flat plastic card to spread a thin, even
layer.
The trouble with the blob and squeeze method is that it can leave a fairly
thick layer, and you cant guarentee its spread evenly and left a section
uncovered.
Zalman know their stuff, follow the instructions. (but try not to get your
fingerprints over the mating surfaces, hence using the bag)

Good luck,

J.
(PS, obviously follow earthing precautions before handling the cpu!!)

Travis King
April 21st 06, 11:30 PM
"Jester" > wrote in message
> "Travis King" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s21...
>>I have the new Sempron and motherboard because I already ordered it three
>>days ago, but here's my question. My $40 Zalman heatsink instructions say
>>to spread the thermal paste on the CPU. I thought you were supposed to
>>just put a dab of it on on these CPU's and the pressure of the heatsink
>>would spread out the paste. Is this correct or should I follow the
>>directions and go ahead and spread the paste? Would it hurt anything if I
>>spread the paste? Thanks.
>>

> The idea is to get the thinnest coating over the chip. A thick layer
> actually makes heat transfer worse. A firend who build pcs told me to put
> a small blob on the chip, and then put a freezer bag over your finger and
> spread it over the entire surface of the cpu. It should look more like its
> been painted than a thick layer og grease. (this is the method I used on
> my 4400x2 and its idling at 28C and loaded at about 48C) I've heard of
> others using a credit card or similar flat plastic card to spread a thin,
> even layer.
> The trouble with the blob and squeeze method is that it can leave a fairly
> thick layer, and you cant guarentee its spread evenly and left a section
> uncovered.
> Zalman know their stuff, follow the instructions. (but try not to get your
> fingerprints over the mating surfaces, hence using the bag)
>
> Good luck,
>
> J.
> (PS, obviously follow earthing precautions before handling the cpu!!)

This is how I did my heatsinks with Athlon XP's:
1. Make sure there are no particles (not even a grain of dust) on either
the core or the heatsink
2. Put a very small dab of thermal grease on the base of the heatsink and
put my finger in a sandwich bag and spread the paste until there's only a
tint on the heatsink to fill up the pits and valleys.
3. Put as thin but even layer on the core of the CPU as possible using a
credit card. I'll sometimes spend ten to fifteen minutes spreading it to
get it as even as I can without going so thin that some of the CPU core is
uncovered.

I assume the procedure is the same only spreading it over the entire
heatspreader or do I just have to spread it over the area the core is at.
(The middle)?

Travis King
April 22nd 06, 07:26 AM
"Travis King" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s22...
> "Jester" > wrote in message
>> "Travis King" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]_s21...
>>>I have the new Sempron and motherboard because I already ordered it three
>>>days ago, but here's my question. My $40 Zalman heatsink instructions
>>>say to spread the thermal paste on the CPU. I thought you were supposed
>>>to just put a dab of it on on these CPU's and the pressure of the
>>>heatsink would spread out the paste. Is this correct or should I follow
>>>the directions and go ahead and spread the paste? Would it hurt anything
>>>if I spread the paste? Thanks.
>>>

>> The idea is to get the thinnest coating over the chip. A thick layer
>> actually makes heat transfer worse. A firend who build pcs told me to put
>> a small blob on the chip, and then put a freezer bag over your finger and
>> spread it over the entire surface of the cpu. It should look more like
>> its been painted than a thick layer og grease. (this is the method I used
>> on my 4400x2 and its idling at 28C and loaded at about 48C) I've heard of
>> others using a credit card or similar flat plastic card to spread a thin,
>> even layer.
>> The trouble with the blob and squeeze method is that it can leave a
>> fairly thick layer, and you cant guarentee its spread evenly and left a
>> section uncovered.
>> Zalman know their stuff, follow the instructions. (but try not to get
>> your fingerprints over the mating surfaces, hence using the bag)
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> J.
>> (PS, obviously follow earthing precautions before handling the cpu!!)
>>

> This is how I did my heatsinks with Athlon XP's:
> 1. Make sure there are no particles (not even a grain of dust) on either
> the core or the heatsink
> 2. Put a very small dab of thermal grease on the base of the heatsink and
> put my finger in a sandwich bag and spread the paste until there's only a
> tint on the heatsink to fill up the pits and valleys.
> 3. Put as thin but even layer on the core of the CPU as possible using a
> credit card. I'll sometimes spend ten to fifteen minutes spreading it to
> get it as even as I can without going so thin that some of the CPU core is
> uncovered.
>
> I assume the procedure is the same only spreading it over the entire
> heatspreader or do I just have to spread it over the area the core is at.
> (The middle)?

Well, I spread the paste across the whole heatspreader and it must have been
done well. The Sempron is staying in the upper 20's to low 30's C.

vaseline or KY
April 22nd 06, 06:46 PM
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:33:18 GMT, "Travis King"
> wrote:

>I have the new Sempron and motherboard because I already ordered it three
>days ago, but here's my question. My $40 Zalman heatsink instructions say
>to spread the thermal paste on the CPU. I thought you were supposed to just
>put a dab of it on on these CPU's and the pressure of the heatsink would
>spread out the paste. Is this correct or should I follow the directions and
>go ahead and spread the paste? Would it hurt anything if I spread the
>paste? Thanks.

The dab technique came from one particular goop
manufacturer. I'm sure they believe it works best for their
stuff. Most tests I've read suggest there isn't much
difference at max temps. The "big" measured differences are
at idle temps. And they aren't much. I think the real
issue is not to use too much of whatever you put on.

Jester
April 23rd 06, 02:07 PM
That sounds like a good job well done!

I only spread it over the area where there is contact betweer heatsink and
core, but going wider won't hurt. Low temps mean it is doing its job.

J.

"Travis King" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s21...
> "Travis King" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s22...
>> "Jester" > wrote in message
>>> "Travis King" > wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]_s21...
>>>>

>>> The idea is to get the thinnest coating over the chip. A thick layer
>>> actually makes heat transfer worse. A firend who build pcs told me to
>>> put a small blob on the chip, and then put a freezer bag over your
>>> finger and spread it over the entire surface of the cpu. It should look
>>> more like its been painted than a thick layer og grease. (this is the
>>> method I used on my 4400x2 and its idling at 28C and loaded at about
>>> 48C) I've heard of others using a credit card or similar flat plastic
>>> card to spread a thin, even layer.
>>> The trouble with the blob and squeeze method is that it can leave a
>>> fairly thick layer, and you cant guarentee its spread evenly and left a
>>> section uncovered.
>>> Zalman know their stuff, follow the instructions. (but try not to get
>>> your fingerprints over the mating surfaces, hence using the bag)
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> J.
>>> (PS, obviously follow earthing precautions before handling the cpu!!)
>>>

>> This is how I did my heatsinks with Athlon XP's:
>> 1. Make sure there are no particles (not even a grain of dust) on either
>> the core or the heatsink
>> 2. Put a very small dab of thermal grease on the base of the heatsink
>> and put my finger in a sandwich bag and spread the paste until there's
>> only a tint on the heatsink to fill up the pits and valleys.
>> 3. Put as thin but even layer on the core of the CPU as possible using a
>> credit card. I'll sometimes spend ten to fifteen minutes spreading it to
>> get it as even as I can without going so thin that some of the CPU core
>> is uncovered.
>>
>> I assume the procedure is the same only spreading it over the entire
>> heatspreader or do I just have to spread it over the area the core is at.
>> (The middle)?
>>
> Well, I spread the paste across the whole heatspreader and it must have
> been done well. The Sempron is staying in the upper 20's to low 30's C.

Travis King
April 23rd 06, 04:28 PM
I thought I just had to spread paste around the middle because that's where
the core is at, but I did the benefit of the doubt and did the whole
heatspreader like you said. By the way, I used OCZ Ultra 5+ silver thermal
compound. I also have a tube of Arctic Silver 5 that I'll use once I use up
this tube. (This tube has lasted me quite a few installations.) I would
guess at least 8 so far and it still has a good amount left.
"Jester" > wrote in message
> That sounds like a good job well done!
>
> I only spread it over the area where there is contact betweer heatsink and
> core, but going wider won't hurt. Low temps mean it is doing its job.
>
> J.
>

> "Travis King" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s21...
>> "Travis King" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]_s22...

>>> This is how I did my heatsinks with Athlon XP's:
>>> 1. Make sure there are no particles (not even a grain of dust) on
>>> either the core or the heatsink
>>> 2. Put a very small dab of thermal grease on the base of the heatsink
>>> and put my finger in a sandwich bag and spread the paste until there's
>>> only a tint on the heatsink to fill up the pits and valleys.
>>> 3. Put as thin but even layer on the core of the CPU as possible using
>>> a credit card. I'll sometimes spend ten to fifteen minutes spreading it
>>> to get it as even as I can without going so thin that some of the CPU
>>> core is uncovered.
>>>
>>> I assume the procedure is the same only spreading it over the entire
>>> heatspreader or do I just have to spread it over the area the core is
>>> at. (The middle)?
>>>
>> Well, I spread the paste across the whole heatspreader and it must have
>> been done well. The Sempron is staying in the upper 20's to low 30's C.

Travis King
April 23rd 06, 04:52 PM
My new Sempron doesn't benchmark as well as my Athlon XP 2400+ did, but in
real-world performance, it does a lot better.