PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Armada M700 won't power up with Battery

milt
April 19th 06, 07:04 PM
I recently acquired an Compaq Armada M700 off Ebay. I've got Win XP Pro
running on it. I got the latest power management software from the
Compaq website running on it. I've got a battery is the system that
reads 100% and when you pull the batter out and press the button on the
battery, all the lights light up as if its fully charged.

Here is the problem, the unit will NOT power up with just the battery
installed. If I have it powered up and remove the AC power. It goes
dead. After installing the updated Power Management software. I ran the
"Calibrate Battery" test. After awhile of the charge light being on. I
turned away for a min. looked back and saw the laptop had shut off. It
would not turn back on with AC or Battery power. Took out and reseated
the battery. unplugged and replugged the AC and then it would turn on
again. But only with AC power.

What's missing? Why can't I get this unit to run on the battery?

metronid
April 19th 06, 10:24 PM
Sound like a bad battery
I bet the ebay seller did not guarantee the battery
They rarely do
They usually have a disclaimer
Because they are usually bad and they know it.

Power sellers buy similar units in bulk.
If the battery was working they would sell
the unit working ang guanteed plus the battery as a separate unit
More profit there.

Only sure way to test is with a known working battery

"milt" > wrote in message
et...
>I recently acquired an Compaq Armada M700 off Ebay. I've got Win XP Pro
>running on it. I got the latest power management software from the Compaq
>website running on it. I've got a battery is the system that reads 100% and
>when you pull the batter out and press the button on the battery, all the
>lights light up as if its fully charged.
>
> Here is the problem, the unit will NOT power up with just the battery
> installed. If I have it powered up and remove the AC power. It goes dead.
> After installing the updated Power Management software. I ran the
> "Calibrate Battery" test. After awhile of the charge light being on. I
> turned away for a min. looked back and saw the laptop had shut off. It
> would not turn back on with AC or Battery power. Took out and reseated the
> battery. unplugged and replugged the AC and then it would turn on again.
> But only with AC power.
>
> What's missing? Why can't I get this unit to run on the battery?

milt
April 24th 06, 03:53 AM
metronid wrote:
> Sound like a bad battery
> I bet the ebay seller did not guarantee the battery
> They rarely do
> They usually have a disclaimer
> Because they are usually bad and they know it.
>
> Power sellers buy similar units in bulk.
> If the battery was working they would sell
> the unit working ang guanteed plus the battery as a separate unit
> More profit there.

Why would it be a bad battery when the battery reports it as fully
charged as well as Windows XP Pro reporting it as a 100% charged?
Doesn't seem likely.