PDA

View Full Version : Extracting Sil3512 BIOS ?


Peter Geddes
April 19th 06, 10:31 PM
I'm currently using the F8 BIOS on my GigaByte GA-K8NSNXP-939 motherboard.
I'm using this because the Sil3512 bios embedded in it gives the best Norton
Ghost performance in DOS.

Is it possible to extract the Sil3512 BIOS in the F8 BIOS and put it into
the F13 BIOS instead?

Thanks

--

All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by Kaspersky AntiVirus

old man
April 20th 06, 06:58 PM
According to my reading of this mobo, the Sil driver is a seperate driver
download and not integrated in the sys bios.
And other than beta the only driver is Sil 3112/3512 v 1.1.0.52
You may of course get an updated Sil driver direct from Sil web site


"Peter Geddes" > wrote in message
...
> I'm currently using the F8 BIOS on my GigaByte GA-K8NSNXP-939 motherboard.
> I'm using this because the Sil3512 bios embedded in it gives the best
Norton
> Ghost performance in DOS.
>
> Is it possible to extract the Sil3512 BIOS in the F8 BIOS and put it into
> the F13 BIOS instead?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
>
> All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by Kaspersky AntiVirus
>
>

Peter Geddes
April 22nd 06, 11:16 PM
Is the Sil3512 BIOS in the F13 the same as in the F8?

The reason I ask is that when I upgraded to to the F13 BIOS a while back, I
then did a backup with Ghost and it said it was going to take 7 hours to
backup one of my partitions!! With the F8, it only took about 3 hours. This
is Ghost in DOS mode, booted from a Win 98 boot disk.

Thanks for the reply.


"old man" > wrote in message
...
> According to my reading of this mobo, the Sil driver is a seperate driver
> download and not integrated in the sys bios.
> And other than beta the only driver is Sil 3112/3512 v 1.1.0.52
> You may of course get an updated Sil driver direct from Sil web site
>
>
> "Peter Geddes" > wrote in message
> ...
>> I'm currently using the F8 BIOS on my GigaByte GA-K8NSNXP-939
>> motherboard.
>> I'm using this because the Sil3512 bios embedded in it gives the best
> Norton
>> Ghost performance in DOS.
>>
>> Is it possible to extract the Sil3512 BIOS in the F8 BIOS and put it into
>> the F13 BIOS instead?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>>
>> All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by Kaspersky AntiVirus
>>
>>
>
>

old man
April 23rd 06, 12:46 AM
Re read the post
Sil driver has no connection with the mobo bios. The Sil driver is a
completely different item and available as a download from Gigabyte or
directly from Sil site.
ie its the same as upgrading any other hw drivers
Personally I use Acronis and just leave it to do its own thing automatically
in win, in the background

"Peter Geddes" > wrote in message
...
> Is the Sil3512 BIOS in the F13 the same as in the F8?
>
> The reason I ask is that when I upgraded to to the F13 BIOS a while back,
I
> then did a backup with Ghost and it said it was going to take 7 hours to
> backup one of my partitions!! With the F8, it only took about 3 hours.
This
> is Ghost in DOS mode, booted from a Win 98 boot disk.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
>
> "old man" > wrote in message
> ...
> > According to my reading of this mobo, the Sil driver is a seperate
driver
> > download and not integrated in the sys bios.
> > And other than beta the only driver is Sil 3112/3512 v 1.1.0.52
> > You may of course get an updated Sil driver direct from Sil web site
> >
> >
> > "Peter Geddes" > wrote in message
> > ...
> >> I'm currently using the F8 BIOS on my GigaByte GA-K8NSNXP-939
> >> motherboard.
> >> I'm using this because the Sil3512 bios embedded in it gives the best
> > Norton
> >> Ghost performance in DOS.
> >>
> >> Is it possible to extract the Sil3512 BIOS in the F8 BIOS and put it
into
> >> the F13 BIOS instead?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by Kaspersky AntiVirus
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>