PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

Travis King
April 18th 06, 09:33 PM
Which is better?
AMD Socket A Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2.08GHz
OR
AMD Socket 754 Sempron 2800+ @ 1.6GHz

I believe the Sempron has a faster FSB, but which one would actually be
best? My motherboard just died, so I'd like to get one or the other. This
is just to get me by for two years at most, so I'm not really all that
concerned about the technology being near extinct.

I currently have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+.

I have 768MB of RAM supporting up to PC-2700. (I might upgrade later.)

I thought I might as well do a CPU while I'm at it, but I am on a very tight
budget as this was unexpected.

Thanks.

Martin Racette
April 18th 06, 10:15 PM
I would recommand any Athlon 64 using socket 939, they are more compatible with
the upcomming CPU from AMD, so you might be able to upgrade just the CPU,
instead of upgrading both motherboard and CPU at a later date

--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin

"Travis King" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s71...
> Which is better?
> AMD Socket A Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2.08GHz
> OR
> AMD Socket 754 Sempron 2800+ @ 1.6GHz
>
> I believe the Sempron has a faster FSB, but which one would actually be best?
> My motherboard just died, so I'd like to get one or the other. This is just
> to get me by for two years at most, so I'm not really all that concerned about
> the technology being near extinct.
>
> I currently have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+.
>
> I have 768MB of RAM supporting up to PC-2700. (I might upgrade later.)
>
> I thought I might as well do a CPU while I'm at it, but I am on a very tight
> budget as this was unexpected.
>
> Thanks.

Ville Muikkula
April 18th 06, 10:56 PM
Travis King > wrote:

> I currently have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+.

It is not worth the money to to upgrade that to Athlon XP 2800+, the
difference in performance is not that great. Keep the current CPU and get
a used Socket A (Socket 462) motherboard for it. Don't pay more for a
second-hand one than what a new ASRock Socket 462 board would cost.

Ed Light
April 19th 06, 04:22 AM
The Sempron 64 is better. It's 64-bit ready, and overclocks 50% with the
right board and knowledge.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

NoNoBadDog!
April 19th 06, 05:45 AM
Buying any 939 pin AMD CPU now give you nothing....
The new AM2 Socket is 940 pin and is *not* compatible with the older 939
pin.
AM2 is a new socket, not an extension of the older 939 pin CPU.

Bobby

"Martin Racette" > wrote in message
.. .
>I would recommand any Athlon 64 using socket 939, they are more compatible
>with the upcomming CPU from AMD, so you might be able to upgrade just the
>CPU, instead of upgrading both motherboard and CPU at a later date
>
> --
> Thank you in Advance
>
> Merci a l'Avance
>
> Martin
>
> "Travis King" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s71...
>> Which is better?
>> AMD Socket A Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2.08GHz
>> OR
>> AMD Socket 754 Sempron 2800+ @ 1.6GHz
>>
>> I believe the Sempron has a faster FSB, but which one would actually be
>> best? My motherboard just died, so I'd like to get one or the other.
>> This is just to get me by for two years at most, so I'm not really all
>> that concerned about the technology being near extinct.
>>
>> I currently have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+.
>>
>> I have 768MB of RAM supporting up to PC-2700. (I might upgrade later.)
>>
>> I thought I might as well do a CPU while I'm at it, but I am on a very
>> tight budget as this was unexpected.
>>
>> Thanks.

* * Chas
April 19th 06, 07:58 AM
"Travis King" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s71...
> Which is better?
> AMD Socket A Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2.08GHz
> OR
> AMD Socket 754 Sempron 2800+ @ 1.6GHz
>
> I believe the Sempron has a faster FSB, but which one would actually
be
> best? My motherboard just died, so I'd like to get one or the other.
This
> is just to get me by for two years at most, so I'm not really all that
> concerned about the technology being near extinct.
>
> I currently have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+.
>
> I have 768MB of RAM supporting up to PC-2700. (I might upgrade
later.)

> I thought I might as well do a CPU while I'm at it, but I am on a very
tight
> budget as this was unexpected.
>
> Thanks.

Unless you are doing a lot of CPU intensive operations, you wont
experience very much improvement in performance between your Athlon XP
2400+ and the other 2 processors.

One suggestion is to find another mobo that will work with your XP 2400+
for now and wait until you can afford a fast new system. In this way,
you can use all of existing hardware.

I have an XP 1800+ with 768MB of memory. I just put together a cheap
Sempron 64 2200+ system with 512MB of memory for a friend. The
performance difference for general applications is really minimal.

A 7200 RPM HDD with an 8MB cache can give quite a boost in performance.

I also built an end game Win98SE system for myself with an Athlon 64
3000+ Venice core CPU and 1G of memory. Aside from booting Win98SE in 30
seconds and loading programs in about half of the time as my XP 1800+, I
was a little disappointed in the performance difference.

Chas.

Joe
April 20th 06, 01:41 AM
As others have said there would be very the diference between all three is
small. I am sure you would not notice the diference. I currently have a XP
2800 and had a XP2100 before it and I can say that was the most wasteful
upgrade I ever did. Since you are on a budget and a small one at that
replace the motherboard and use your 2400 and do an upgrade when you can
make a larger diference.

Joe

"Travis King" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s71...
> Which is better?
> AMD Socket A Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2.08GHz
> OR
> AMD Socket 754 Sempron 2800+ @ 1.6GHz
>
> I believe the Sempron has a faster FSB, but which one would actually be
> best? My motherboard just died, so I'd like to get one or the other.
> This is just to get me by for two years at most, so I'm not really all
> that concerned about the technology being near extinct.
>
> I currently have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+.
>
> I have 768MB of RAM supporting up to PC-2700. (I might upgrade later.)
>
> I thought I might as well do a CPU while I'm at it, but I am on a very
> tight budget as this was unexpected.
>
> Thanks.

Scotter
April 20th 06, 05:32 AM
I agree with the guys advising you just replace only your motherboard until
you can afford a full mb+cpu+ram+video card upgrade.

--
Scotter
Tyan Thunder K8WE
"Travis King" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s71...
> Which is better?
> AMD Socket A Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2.08GHz
> OR
> AMD Socket 754 Sempron 2800+ @ 1.6GHz
>
> I believe the Sempron has a faster FSB, but which one would actually be
> best? My motherboard just died, so I'd like to get one or the other.
> This is just to get me by for two years at most, so I'm not really all
> that concerned about the technology being near extinct.
>
> I currently have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+.
>
> I have 768MB of RAM supporting up to PC-2700. (I might upgrade later.)
>
> I thought I might as well do a CPU while I'm at it, but I am on a very
> tight budget as this was unexpected.
>
> Thanks.

Scotter
April 20th 06, 01:34 PM
You can go to Fry's web site: http://www.outpost.com/ and down on the bottom
right there is a way to subscribe to their "weekly specials" newsletter.