PDA

View Full Version : something overwrites AUTOEXEC.BAT

Wrong Attitude
April 11th 06, 07:41 AM
I got a Compaq Deskpro EN series mini-tower with a 500Mhz PIII.and I
installed Windows ME on it. Everything works fine except there is something
unusual causing a problem for me. Something overwrites AUTOEXEC.BAT
everytime it boots up. The lines in the new file are all SET= statements
that define environment variables. I haven't done very much troubleshooting
because the computer is in a different location than I. I remember ROMs on
add-in cards that would write some lines to AUTOEXEC.BAT (Creative
SoundBlaster for instance) but it didn't replace the whole file like is
happening here. Is it possible a ROM in this Compaq PC is overwriting my
AUTOEXEC.BAT ? The PC has on-board sound, and USB.

I haven't opened the case on this PC. Nor have I checked into all the cards
(which I believe are standard cards for Compaq). None of the ROM messages
are displayed during boot. The BIOS has an option to display the boot
messages or not display them but I can't get them to display no matter what
I try. But my immediate problem is with AUTOEXEC.BAT being overwritten. I
need AUTOEXEC.BAT for what I am doing. If I can't stop this from happening
I will have to get a different PC - a lot of time will be wasted. I will be
happy to hear any ideas you have regarding this Deskpro EN series PC.

TIA. Bill S.

Ben Myers
April 11th 06, 01:10 PM
Overwriting of AUTOEXEC.BAT is most often caused by software. I am unaware of
any ROM firmware that modifies AUTOEXEC.BAT. Sound Blaster cards do not have
ROMs, but the Creative software install would routinely add SET variables to
AUTOEXEC.BAT.

One diagnostic procedure to try is to make AUTOEXEC.BAT a read-only file.
Probably the offending software will then idnetify itself, unless, of course, it
is smart enough to override the read-only file attribute... Ben Myers

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:41:06 -0700, "Wrong Attitude" >
wrote:

>I got a Compaq Deskpro EN series mini-tower with a 500Mhz PIII.and I
>installed Windows ME on it. Everything works fine except there is something
>unusual causing a problem for me. Something overwrites AUTOEXEC.BAT
>everytime it boots up. The lines in the new file are all SET= statements
>that define environment variables. I haven't done very much troubleshooting
>because the computer is in a different location than I. I remember ROMs on
>add-in cards that would write some lines to AUTOEXEC.BAT (Creative
>SoundBlaster for instance) but it didn't replace the whole file like is
>happening here. Is it possible a ROM in this Compaq PC is overwriting my
>AUTOEXEC.BAT ? The PC has on-board sound, and USB.
>
>I haven't opened the case on this PC. Nor have I checked into all the cards
>(which I believe are standard cards for Compaq). None of the ROM messages
>are displayed during boot. The BIOS has an option to display the boot
>messages or not display them but I can't get them to display no matter what
>I try. But my immediate problem is with AUTOEXEC.BAT being overwritten. I
>need AUTOEXEC.BAT for what I am doing. If I can't stop this from happening
>I will have to get a different PC - a lot of time will be wasted. I will be
>happy to hear any ideas you have regarding this Deskpro EN series PC.
>
>TIA. Bill S.

Wrong Attitude
April 11th 06, 02:30 PM
I did try the READ ONLY trick, but that didn't change the problem. Next I
will tinker with Windows STEP BY STEP booting. The first thing in that
process is the option to process (or not process) the system registry. The
other things in step by step boot don't look like they would be changing
AUTOEXEC.

I searched the registry and found places where the environment variables are
being referenced but I don't know what those registry keys are for. I could
try trial and error experimentation with the registry, but I think there is
probably some simple solution to this problem. I have never seen this
happening until I set up this Compaq computer.

Bill S.

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
> Overwriting of AUTOEXEC.BAT is most often caused by software. I am
unaware of
> any ROM firmware that modifies AUTOEXEC.BAT. Sound Blaster cards do not
have
> ROMs, but the Creative software install would routinely add SET variables
> AUTOEXEC.BAT.
>
> One diagnostic procedure to try is to make AUTOEXEC.BAT a read-only file.
> Probably the offending software will then idnetify itself, unless, of
course, it
> is smart enough to override the read-only file attribute... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:41:06 -0700, "Wrong Attitude"
>
> wrote:
>
> >I got a Compaq Deskpro EN series mini-tower with a 500Mhz PIII.and I
> >installed Windows ME on it. Everything works fine except there is
something
> >unusual causing a problem for me. Something overwrites AUTOEXEC.BAT
> >everytime it boots up. The lines in the new file are all SET= statements
> >that define environment variables. I haven't done very much
troubleshooting
> >because the computer is in a different location than I. I remember ROMs
on
> >add-in cards that would write some lines to AUTOEXEC.BAT (Creative
> >SoundBlaster for instance) but it didn't replace the whole file like is
> >happening here. Is it possible a ROM in this Compaq PC is overwriting my
> >AUTOEXEC.BAT ? The PC has on-board sound, and USB.
> >
> >I haven't opened the case on this PC. Nor have I checked into all the
cards
> >(which I believe are standard cards for Compaq). None of the ROM
messages
> >are displayed during boot. The BIOS has an option to display the boot
> >messages or not display them but I can't get them to display no matter
what
> >I try. But my immediate problem is with AUTOEXEC.BAT being overwritten.
> >need AUTOEXEC.BAT for what I am doing. If I can't stop this from
happening
> >I will have to get a different PC - a lot of time will be wasted. I will
be
> >happy to hear any ideas you have regarding this Deskpro EN series PC.
> >
> >TIA. Bill S.

El Bandito
April 12th 06, 01:40 AM
Just wondering, are you modifying your autoexec file in pure DOS?

If so, it might be related.

Instead, modify it using Start | Run | Sysedit

One of my machines used to do that.

--

(\_ _/)

"Wrong Attitude" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> >my
>> >AUTOEXEC.BAT ? The PC has on-board sound, and USB.
>> >
>> >I haven't opened the case on this PC. Nor have I checked into all the
> cards
>> >(which I believe are standard cards for Compaq). None of the ROM
> messages
>> >are displayed during boot. The BIOS has an option to display the boot
>> >messages or not display them but I can't get them to display no matter
> what
>> >I try. But my immediate problem is with AUTOEXEC.BAT being overwritten.
>> >need AUTOEXEC.BAT for what I am doing. If I can't stop this from
> happening
>> >I will have to get a different PC - a lot of time will be wasted. I
>> >will
> be
>> >happy to hear any ideas you have regarding this Deskpro EN series PC.

Wrong Attitude
April 12th 06, 03:36 AM
I edit AUTOEXEC using Windows notepad or DOS Edit program. Problem is the
same.

"El Bandito" > wrote in message
> Just wondering, are you modifying your autoexec file in pure DOS?
>
> If so, it might be related.
>
> Instead, modify it using Start | Run | Sysedit
>
> One of my machines used to do that.
>
> --
>
> (\_ _/)
> (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
> (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
>

> "Wrong Attitude" > wrote in message
> >I did try the READ ONLY trick, but that didn't change the problem. Next
> > will tinker with Windows STEP BY STEP booting. The first thing in that
> > process is the option to process (or not process) the system registry.
> > The
> > other things in step by step boot don't look like they would be changing
> > AUTOEXEC.
> >
> > I searched the registry and found places where the environment variables
> > are
> > being referenced but I don't know what those registry keys are for. I
> > could
> > try trial and error experimentation with the registry, but I think there
> > is
> > probably some simple solution to this problem. I have never seen this
> > happening until I set up this Compaq computer.
> >
> > Bill S.
> >

> > "Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
> >> Overwriting of AUTOEXEC.BAT is most often caused by software. I am
> > unaware of
> >> any ROM firmware that modifies AUTOEXEC.BAT. Sound Blaster cards do
not
> > have
> >> ROMs, but the Creative software install would routinely add SET
variables
> >> AUTOEXEC.BAT.
> >>
> >> One diagnostic procedure to try is to make AUTOEXEC.BAT a read-only
file.
> >> Probably the offending software will then idnetify itself, unless, of
> > course, it
> >> is smart enough to override the read-only file attribute... Ben Myers

> > something
> > troubleshooting
ROMs
> > on

> > cards
> > messages
> > what
> > happening
> > be

yuenkitmun
April 12th 06, 07:31 AM
> The lines in the new file are all SET= statements
> that define environment variables.

Try searching all files in the PC for the strings in the SET
statements, e.g. using Windows Explorer. There's a good chance this
will point you to the executable responsible, unless the strings are
encoded in Unicode or something.

El Bandito
April 13th 06, 01:46 AM
Try Start | Run | then type in sysedit.

Otherwise, there might be something in either your startup folder or in your
RUN key in your registry that doesn't belong there.

--

(\_ _/)