PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Card for Armada 1750

Alan Johnston
April 10th 06, 10:00 PM
I have an old Armada 1750 ( which was given to me) and I would like to set
it up as a wireless laptop via internet connection with the Westell 327W.
Knowing a whole lot more about desktops, I have no idea what it is that I
need for this laptop to produce a wireless connection. I have 2 cards: an
Adaptec SlimSCSI card in one slot, and a 3 Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN PC card
in the other. Is it one of these that I replace with a special wireless
card or am I looking at something else that I need to do or replace.
Obviously I don't have a clue. Can someone point me in the right direction?
I would appreciate it very much. Thanks,
Al

Ben Myers
April 11th 06, 12:20 AM
Alan,

Your best bet is to replace the 3COM 10/100 PCMCIA card with a 802.11g wifi
PCMCIA card with drivers to support the operating system you are using on the
Armada.

An inferior choice is USB wifi, with a fairly clumsy external setup, altho my
wife's notebook uses a Linksys 802.11b USB quite successfully... Ben Myers

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:00:20 GMT, "Alan Johnston" > wrote:

>I have an old Armada 1750 ( which was given to me) and I would like to set
>it up as a wireless laptop via internet connection with the Westell 327W.
>Knowing a whole lot more about desktops, I have no idea what it is that I
>need for this laptop to produce a wireless connection. I have 2 cards: an
>Adaptec SlimSCSI card in one slot, and a 3 Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN PC card
>in the other. Is it one of these that I replace with a special wireless
>card or am I looking at something else that I need to do or replace.
>Obviously I don't have a clue. Can someone point me in the right direction?
>I would appreciate it very much. Thanks,
>Al

Alan Johnston
April 11th 06, 02:10 AM
Hey, ok!! Sounds good. So I would look for that specific number card and
would just replace the other card with it and load the OS drivers, I assume.
And then I'm all set.
Thanks a million

Al

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
> Alan,
>
> Your best bet is to replace the 3COM 10/100 PCMCIA card with a 802.11g
> wifi
> PCMCIA card with drivers to support the operating system you are using on
> the
> Armada.
>
> An inferior choice is USB wifi, with a fairly clumsy external setup, altho
> my
> wife's notebook uses a Linksys 802.11b USB quite successfully... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:00:20 GMT, "Alan Johnston" >
> wrote:
>
>>I have an old Armada 1750 ( which was given to me) and I would like to set
>>it up as a wireless laptop via internet connection with the Westell 327W.
>>Knowing a whole lot more about desktops, I have no idea what it is that I
>>need for this laptop to produce a wireless connection. I have 2 cards: an
>>Adaptec SlimSCSI card in one slot, and a 3 Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN PC
>>card
>>in the other. Is it one of these that I replace with a special wireless
>>card or am I looking at something else that I need to do or replace.
>>Obviously I don't have a clue. Can someone point me in the right
>>direction?
>>I would appreciate it very much. Thanks,
>>Al

metronid
April 11th 06, 03:24 AM
Ben so your wife uses a USB wireless.
I use a USB on my desktop because it is easily movable if needed.
It is nice not having to open and place a card in.
Although that is a small doable.

USB for a laptop.
AS I said you can always use it some where else.
Also saves a slot.

Drawbacks for USB
They project out making an easy break off from unit.

Although modern computers have USB powers now through the bios.
Theese are designated for simple keyboard and a few others and sometimes a
little more.
They are different than a floppy which a a single function whose
functionality is
the same in bios boot as it in Windows
Not really OS dependent
USB drivers are multi functional and vary from the bios functions extremely

The functionality of a USB driver for use as wireless port is not only
driver dependent
but also OS depenedent.
Most USB if not all need WIN98SE or greater.

Cards will work on the OS below these for wireless
No need to go XP

That is the reason I would pick a card.

Now if laptops had a USB port that was parallel to the unit where breakage
was not a concern
and the OS was suitable than the USB would be my choice.

"Alan Johnston" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hey, ok!! Sounds good. So I would look for that specific number card and
> would just replace the other card with it and load the OS drivers, I
> assume. And then I'm all set.
> Thanks a million
>
> Al
>
> "Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
>> Alan,
>>
>> Your best bet is to replace the 3COM 10/100 PCMCIA card with a 802.11g
>> wifi
>> PCMCIA card with drivers to support the operating system you are using on
>> the
>> Armada.
>>
>> An inferior choice is USB wifi, with a fairly clumsy external setup,
>> altho my
>> wife's notebook uses a Linksys 802.11b USB quite successfully... Ben
>> Myers
>>
>> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:00:20 GMT, "Alan Johnston" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have an old Armada 1750 ( which was given to me) and I would like to
>>>set
>>>it up as a wireless laptop via internet connection with the Westell 327W.
>>>Knowing a whole lot more about desktops, I have no idea what it is that I
>>>need for this laptop to produce a wireless connection. I have 2 cards:
>>>an
>>>Adaptec SlimSCSI card in one slot, and a 3 Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN PC
>>>card
>>>in the other. Is it one of these that I replace with a special wireless
>>>card or am I looking at something else that I need to do or replace.
>>>Obviously I don't have a clue. Can someone point me in the right
>>>direction?
>>>I would appreciate it very much. Thanks,
>>>Al

Alan Johnston
April 11th 06, 11:05 PM
Makes sense to me. Actually, I put XP Pro Corp in the Armada (* I know
that's not ideal because the HD is small and XP is big!!) I DID, however,
add some memory to it. Have 192Mb now. It does seem to be a sturdy but
heavy laptop. Wireless will give me some mobility around the house. Hope
it's fairly easy to set it up wireless after I get the card. I haven't done
wireless before with ANYTHING!!

Thanks for the info and thoughts.

Al
"metronid" > wrote in message
> Ben so your wife uses a USB wireless.
> I use a USB on my desktop because it is easily movable if needed.
> It is nice not having to open and place a card in.
> Although that is a small doable.
>
> USB for a laptop.
> AS I said you can always use it some where else.
> Also saves a slot.
>
> Drawbacks for USB
> They project out making an easy break off from unit.
>
> Although modern computers have USB powers now through the bios.
> Theese are designated for simple keyboard and a few others and sometimes
> a little more.
> They are different than a floppy which a a single function whose
> functionality is
> the same in bios boot as it in Windows
> Not really OS dependent
> USB drivers are multi functional and vary from the bios functions
> extremely
>
> The functionality of a USB driver for use as wireless port is not only
> driver dependent
> but also OS depenedent.
> Most USB if not all need WIN98SE or greater.
>
> Cards will work on the OS below these for wireless
> No need to go XP
>
> That is the reason I would pick a card.
>

> Now if laptops had a USB port that was parallel to the unit where breakage
> was not a concern
> and the OS was suitable than the USB would be my choice.
>

> "Alan Johnston" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Hey, ok!! Sounds good. So I would look for that specific number card
>> and would just replace the other card with it and load the OS drivers, I
>> assume. And then I'm all set.
>> Thanks a million
>>
>> Al
>>
>> "Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
>>> Alan,
>>>
>>> Your best bet is to replace the 3COM 10/100 PCMCIA card with a 802.11g
>>> wifi
>>> PCMCIA card with drivers to support the operating system you are using
>>> on the
>>> Armada.
>>>
>>> An inferior choice is USB wifi, with a fairly clumsy external setup,
>>> altho my
>>> wife's notebook uses a Linksys 802.11b USB quite successfully... Ben
>>> Myers

metronid
April 12th 06, 02:43 AM
I have a cable internet
I used to have my modem on the 2nd floor and my daughter was hard wired to
her room which is adjacent to my computer rooom.

I did not trust comcast to bring the line up to my 2nd floor.
Ran the cable myself.

My daughter decided that she wanted her computer in the basement.
I did so and placed the cable modem there as this was the entry point of the
cable line.
I could have ran a long run of cat5 but did not feel like fishing through
the walls.
The only fishing I was going to do was with a rod and reel and it had
nothing to do with networking.

I purchased a wireless router and connected to the output of the cable
modem.
Cat5
I took used one of the lan outputs cat5 to her computer
Small run.

I inserted the CD that came with the unit and she was set up.
Or something close to that.

I purchased a USB wireless for my computer.
Placed the Cd in for that unit and was finsihed.

Just make sure of compatibility of a/b/g etc 802.1

I am running great

She uses a laptop that is wireless and it came set up.

When purchasing make sure the tech support is toll free and around the
clock.

I am using D-Link
Price was great
Support is always there

Some have faster speeds
All are greater than the cable modem speed.
Unless you are talking to other computers in your network and transferring
files from
computer to computer than 802.1b is good enough.
The wireeless network speed is greater than the ISP connection speed in
most cases.

"Alan Johnston" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Makes sense to me. Actually, I put XP Pro Corp in the Armada (* I know
> that's not ideal because the HD is small and XP is big!!) I DID, however,
> add some memory to it. Have 192Mb now. It does seem to be a sturdy but
> heavy laptop. Wireless will give me some mobility around the house. Hope
> it's fairly easy to set it up wireless after I get the card. I haven't
> done wireless before with ANYTHING!!
>
> Thanks for the info and thoughts.
>
> Al
> "metronid" > wrote in message
>> Ben so your wife uses a USB wireless.
>> I use a USB on my desktop because it is easily movable if needed.
>> It is nice not having to open and place a card in.
>> Although that is a small doable.
>>
>> USB for a laptop.
>> AS I said you can always use it some where else.
>> Also saves a slot.
>>
>> Drawbacks for USB
>> They project out making an easy break off from unit.
>>
>> Although modern computers have USB powers now through the bios.
>> Theese are designated for simple keyboard and a few others and sometimes
>> a little more.
>> They are different than a floppy which a a single function whose
>> functionality is
>> the same in bios boot as it in Windows
>> Not really OS dependent
>> USB drivers are multi functional and vary from the bios functions
>> extremely
>>
>> The functionality of a USB driver for use as wireless port is not only
>> driver dependent
>> but also OS depenedent.
>> Most USB if not all need WIN98SE or greater.
>>
>> Cards will work on the OS below these for wireless
>> No need to go XP
>>
>> That is the reason I would pick a card.
>>

>> Now if laptops had a USB port that was parallel to the unit where
>> breakage was not a concern
>> and the OS was suitable than the USB would be my choice.
>>

>> "Alan Johnston" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Hey, ok!! Sounds good. So I would look for that specific number card
>>> and would just replace the other card with it and load the OS drivers, I
>>> assume. And then I'm all set.
>>> Thanks a million
>>>
>>> Al

Ben Myers
April 12th 06, 04:59 AM
Wifi with XP is pretty easy. Worst case is that you need to install drivers
from a CD. Best case is that the wifi PCMCIA card is recognized automatically
by XP, and its drivers installed. USB wifi almost always requires a driver CD.
Afterward, XP has built-in software to sniff out wireless access points, and
connect to them... Ben Myers

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:05:21 GMT, "Alan Johnston" > wrote:

>Makes sense to me. Actually, I put XP Pro Corp in the Armada (* I know
>that's not ideal because the HD is small and XP is big!!) I DID, however,
>add some memory to it. Have 192Mb now. It does seem to be a sturdy but
>heavy laptop. Wireless will give me some mobility around the house. Hope
>it's fairly easy to set it up wireless after I get the card. I haven't done
>wireless before with ANYTHING!!
>
>Thanks for the info and thoughts.
>
>Al
>"metronid" > wrote in message
>> Ben so your wife uses a USB wireless.
>> I use a USB on my desktop because it is easily movable if needed.
>> It is nice not having to open and place a card in.
>> Although that is a small doable.
>>
>> USB for a laptop.
>> AS I said you can always use it some where else.
>> Also saves a slot.
>>
>> Drawbacks for USB
>> They project out making an easy break off from unit.
>>
>> Although modern computers have USB powers now through the bios.
>> Theese are designated for simple keyboard and a few others and sometimes
>> a little more.
>> They are different than a floppy which a a single function whose
>> functionality is
>> the same in bios boot as it in Windows
>> Not really OS dependent
>> USB drivers are multi functional and vary from the bios functions
>> extremely
>>
>> The functionality of a USB driver for use as wireless port is not only
>> driver dependent
>> but also OS depenedent.
>> Most USB if not all need WIN98SE or greater.
>>
>> Cards will work on the OS below these for wireless
>> No need to go XP
>>
>> That is the reason I would pick a card.
>>

>> Now if laptops had a USB port that was parallel to the unit where breakage
>> was not a concern
>> and the OS was suitable than the USB would be my choice.
>>

>> "Alan Johnston" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Hey, ok!! Sounds good. So I would look for that specific number card
>>> and would just replace the other card with it and load the OS drivers, I
>>> assume. And then I'm all set.
>>> Thanks a million
>>>
>>> Al

Alan Johnston
April 13th 06, 01:21 AM
Thanks a million to everybody!! I got the wifi pcmcia card, ran the cd and
all worked great. how did I get along without it?