PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 64 (754) 3000+

Travis King
April 10th 06, 04:43 AM
If I were to get an Athlon 64 3000+ (754), how fast of RAM would I need to
get the performance that I'm supposed to out of this CPU? PC-3200? I've
got PC-2700 RAM now and my Athlon XP 2400+ (266FSB)isn't really keeping me
as satisfied anymore. (I would just want something to get me by for two
years.)

Ed Light
April 10th 06, 06:13 AM
Go ahead and use the pc-2700. It will just slow you down a few % in real
life.

If you get any new sticks then get pc-3200. If the pc-2700 are still
installed they will all run at pc-2700.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Derek Baker
April 10th 06, 11:44 AM
Travis King wrote:
> If I were to get an Athlon 64 3000+ (754), how fast of RAM would I need to
> get the performance that I'm supposed to out of this CPU? PC-3200? I've
> got PC-2700 RAM now and my Athlon XP 2400+ (266FSB)isn't really keeping me
> as satisfied anymore. (I would just want something to get me by for two
> years.)

I'm having to run my RAM at DDR333 (DDR400 isn't stable with 2
double-sided DIMMS) and I don't notice any difference (Athlon 3400+
ClawHammer C0).

--
Derek

[email protected]_today_spammers.com
April 13th 06, 04:06 AM
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:44:48 +0100, Derek Baker
> wrote:

>Travis King wrote:
>> If I were to get an Athlon 64 3000+ (754), how fast of RAM would I need to
>> get the performance that I'm supposed to out of this CPU? PC-3200? I've
>> got PC-2700 RAM now and my Athlon XP 2400+ (266FSB)isn't really keeping me
>> as satisfied anymore. (I would just want something to get me by for two
>> years.)
>>

>I'm having to run my RAM at DDR333 (DDR400 isn't stable with 2
>double-sided DIMMS) and I don't notice any difference (Athlon 3400+
>ClawHammer C0).

I've got 2 double sided DIMMS working at DDR400, but I'm
using an older bios for the motherboard that didn't
automatically lower them to 333. I'm only running the cpu
at 1.8Ghz, so maybe the on board memory controller is just
breezing at that speed.

Seems like there's some overclocking trick where you can
lower the memory then get it back on the overclock, but I'm
not a hypertransport guru.

April 15th 06, 12:59 AM
personally, i doubt that little ram boost will give you much to notice
(from 2700 to 3200)
ive actually been trying to spped things up by reducing running
programs.
hit cntl+alt+del
see whats taking up memory
if you dont need the program to run in the background, kil it with a
startup manager.
stuff like quiktime and realplayer allways tick me off by running in
the back.
i always delete them in the startup
stuff like defraging, reg cleaners, are sometimes forgotten.
sorry if this sounds like common sense,
but i just upgraded from a ATHLON 1.2 to a +3000 ATHLON (754) machine,
my old motherboard (Epox KT3A+) only took 1300 SDram
i now have 512 of 3200 ram.

and a had tweakked the heck out of the 1.2mhz
i had it running so nice, i am wondering if i wated my money.

i am realizing that after my 512 of ram is used, i am slowing down
considerably.
guess ill have to get another 512 stick

BTW,
how mch ram do you have installed ?

Travis King wrote:
> If I were to get an Athlon 64 3000+ (754), how fast of RAM would I need to
> get the performance that I'm supposed to out of this CPU? PC-3200? I've
> got PC-2700 RAM now and my Athlon XP 2400+ (266FSB)isn't really keeping me
> as satisfied anymore. (I would just want something to get me by for two
> years.)

* * Chas
April 15th 06, 08:11 AM
"Travis King" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s72...
> If I were to get an Athlon 64 3000+ (754), how fast of RAM would I
need to
> get the performance that I'm supposed to out of this CPU? PC-3200?
I've
> got PC-2700 RAM now and my Athlon XP 2400+ (266FSB)isn't really
keeping me
> as satisfied anymore. (I would just want something to get me by for
two
> years.)

I have an Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core CPU that I've tried on both an
Asus K8N and K8N-E with a matched pair of Corsair 512MB DDR400 double
sided DIMMs. I've never been able to get them to run at 200MHz. They run
as DDR333 or 166Mhz. There is an OC trick to get them to run faster but
it's not worth it to me.

From most of what I've read, double sided PC-3200 DIMMs will not run at
DDR400 with socket 754 mobos. they run at DDR333 speed. It seems that
the claims of PC-3200 computability of ALL 754 mobo makers are BS!

The Athlon 64 CPU have built in memory controllers whereas earlier CPUs
depended memory controllers in the mobo chipsets.

Chas.

Travis King
April 16th 06, 10:49 PM
I have 768MB of RAM.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> personally, i doubt that little ram boost will give you much to notice
> (from 2700 to 3200)
> ive actually been trying to spped things up by reducing running
> programs.
> hit cntl+alt+del
> see whats taking up memory
> if you dont need the program to run in the background, kil it with a
> startup manager.
> stuff like quiktime and realplayer allways tick me off by running in
> the back.
> i always delete them in the startup
> stuff like defraging, reg cleaners, are sometimes forgotten.
> sorry if this sounds like common sense,
> but i just upgraded from a ATHLON 1.2 to a +3000 ATHLON (754) machine,
> my old motherboard (Epox KT3A+) only took 1300 SDram
> i now have 512 of 3200 ram.
>
> and a had tweakked the heck out of the 1.2mhz
> i had it running so nice, i am wondering if i wated my money.
>
> i am realizing that after my 512 of ram is used, i am slowing down
> considerably.
> guess ill have to get another 512 stick
>

> BTW,
> how mch ram do you have installed ?
>

> Travis King wrote:
>> If I were to get an Athlon 64 3000+ (754), how fast of RAM would I need
>> get the performance that I'm supposed to out of this CPU? PC-3200? I've
>> got PC-2700 RAM now and my Athlon XP 2400+ (266FSB)isn't really keeping
>> me
>> as satisfied anymore. (I would just want something to get me by for two
>> years.)

Travis King
April 16th 06, 11:02 PM
And I'm not even using half. (That is until I get my hands on the beta of
Vista.)
"Travis King" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s72...
>I have 768MB of RAM.
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> personally, i doubt that little ram boost will give you much to notice
>> (from 2700 to 3200)
>> ive actually been trying to spped things up by reducing running
>> programs.
>> hit cntl+alt+del
>> see whats taking up memory
>> if you dont need the program to run in the background, kil it with a
>> startup manager.
>> stuff like quiktime and realplayer allways tick me off by running in
>> the back.
>> i always delete them in the startup
>> stuff like defraging, reg cleaners, are sometimes forgotten.
>> sorry if this sounds like common sense,
>> but i just upgraded from a ATHLON 1.2 to a +3000 ATHLON (754) machine,
>> my old motherboard (Epox KT3A+) only took 1300 SDram
>> i now have 512 of 3200 ram.
>>
>> and a had tweakked the heck out of the 1.2mhz
>> i had it running so nice, i am wondering if i wated my money.
>>
>> i am realizing that after my 512 of ram is used, i am slowing down
>> considerably.
>> guess ill have to get another 512 stick
>>

>> BTW,
>> how mch ram do you have installed ?
>>

>> Travis King wrote:
>>> If I were to get an Athlon 64 3000+ (754), how fast of RAM would I need
>>> get the performance that I'm supposed to out of this CPU? PC-3200?
>>> I've
>>> got PC-2700 RAM now and my Athlon XP 2400+ (266FSB)isn't really keeping
>>> me
>>> as satisfied anymore. (I would just want something to get me by for two
>>> years.)

[email protected]_today_spammers.com
April 24th 06, 01:36 PM
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:06:38 -0700,
wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:44:48 +0100, Derek Baker
> wrote:
>
>>Travis King wrote:
>>> If I were to get an Athlon 64 3000+ (754), how fast of RAM would I need to
>>> get the performance that I'm supposed to out of this CPU? PC-3200? I've
>>> got PC-2700 RAM now and my Athlon XP 2400+ (266FSB)isn't really keeping me
>>> as satisfied anymore. (I would just want something to get me by for two
>>> years.)
>>>

>>I'm having to run my RAM at DDR333 (DDR400 isn't stable with 2
>>double-sided DIMMS) and I don't notice any difference (Athlon 3400+
>>ClawHammer C0).
>
>I've got 2 double sided DIMMS working at DDR400, but I'm
>using an older bios for the motherboard that didn't
>automatically lower them to 333. I'm only running the cpu
>at 1.8Ghz, so maybe the on board memory controller is just
>breezing at that speed.

FWIW, found out something interesting. My athlon64 2800 is
a C0 stepping, and doesn't have the 1T / 2T command rate
option. The C0 stepping only had 1T, no 2T option until the
CG stepping.