PDA

View Full Version : athlon 64 4000 90nm rev VS athlon 64 4000

Bosconian
April 8th 06, 02:33 AM
I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, but what's
the difference between the Athlon 64 4000 90nm rev and Athlon 64 4000 and is
it worth the extra $36 (according to pricewatch.com as of 4/7/06)?

Thanks!

Bosconian
April 8th 06, 06:19 AM

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/SideBySide.aspx?opn=ADA4000DEP5AS&opn=ADA4000DAA5BN&opn=ADA4000DKA5CF

> You'll want to investigate the differences between the steppings CG, E4
> and E6. In any case, do not get the CG one. It has problems with running
> 64-bit virtual machines. A quest operating system can access the memory of
> the host operating system because of a missing segmentation support in the
> CPU.

My original post excluded "E4", but you wisely figured that out.

Thanks for the link. I will take your advice and go with E4.

What about comparing AMD vs. Intel processor speeds? I know 2400Mhz of the
Athlon 64 4000 90nm rev E4 is MUCH faster than Intel 2.4GHz.

Ville Muikkula
April 8th 06, 09:20 AM
Bosconian > wrote:

> What about comparing AMD vs. Intel processor speeds?

A slightly modified old saying goes that there are lies, damn lies and
benchmarks. The only way to make accurate comparisons is to use the actual
application software. At the moment, AMD desktop CPUs offer more value for
the money.

Bosconian
April 8th 06, 05:49 PM
"Ville Muikkula" > wrote in message
> Bosconian > wrote:
>
> > What about comparing AMD vs. Intel processor speeds?
>
> A slightly modified old saying goes that there are lies, damn lies and
> benchmarks. The only way to make accurate comparisons is to use the actual
> application software. At the moment, AMD desktop CPUs offer more value for
> the money.

Besides being a better value, it's somewhat common knowledge that AMD 64-bit
is better for gaming. Why (in a nutshell) is this factually true?