PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Proliant DL580 sounding like a Boeing 747 at take-off

El Bandito
April 7th 06, 01:28 AM
Is there a way to silence those fans? I tried taking some of them out, but
it won't if a fan is missing.

It's a first-gen DL580 (4-way 700Mhz Xeons)

I suppose once the OS is installed it might be possible to slow the fans
down, but since I live in an appartment building, I can't have that kind of
noise here...

--

(\_ _/)

(PeteCresswell)
April 7th 06, 01:31 AM
Per El Bandito:
>I suppose once the OS is installed it might be possible to slow the fans
>down, but since I live in an appartment building, I can't have that kind of
>noise here...

Maybe something's wrong with the fan. Recently, somehow... I had a wire just
touching the fan blades. *Really* noisy.

OTOH, it might be a bearing on the way out. The fans I've dealt with in my own
PCs haven't been all that expensive or hard to replace.
--
PeteCresswell

El Bandito
April 7th 06, 01:42 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not related to the fans, but with the airflow they
create. (it's a really loud whooshing sound, kinda a vacuum cleaner)

They are running fullspeed when I boot (no OS on it yet). If I try to block
or remove even one of them, it won't boot.

I can't really afford to have it make that noise (I will try on Saturday,
*during the day* to install either Win2K or 2K3 on it and see if once
everything is installed they will slow down somehow)

I'm wondering if once the OS is installed, it might slow the fans down when
spin them up only as needed. (a driver maybe?)

Otherwise, it seems like a really nice piece of hardware.

--

(\_ _/)

"(PeteCresswell)" > wrote in message
> Per El Bandito:
>>I suppose once the OS is installed it might be possible to slow the fans
>>down, but since I live in an appartment building, I can't have that kind
>>of
>>noise here...
>
> Maybe something's wrong with the fan. Recently, somehow... I had a wire
> just
> touching the fan blades. *Really* noisy.
>
> OTOH, it might be a bearing on the way out. The fans I've dealt with in
> my own
> PCs haven't been all that expensive or hard to replace.
> --
> PeteCresswell

doS
April 7th 06, 05:14 PM
the OS wont slow the fans down...

"El Bandito" > wrote in message
> I'm pretty sure it's not related to the fans, but with the airflow they
> create. (it's a really loud whooshing sound, kinda a vacuum cleaner)
>
> They are running fullspeed when I boot (no OS on it yet). If I try to
> block or remove even one of them, it won't boot.
>
> I can't really afford to have it make that noise (I will try on Saturday,
> *during the day* to install either Win2K or 2K3 on it and see if once
> everything is installed they will slow down somehow)
>
> I'm wondering if once the OS is installed, it might slow the fans down
> when spin them up only as needed. (a driver maybe?)
>
> Otherwise, it seems like a really nice piece of hardware.
>
> --
>
> (\_ _/)
> (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
> (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
>

> "(PeteCresswell)" > wrote in message
>> Per El Bandito:
>>>I suppose once the OS is installed it might be possible to slow the fans
>>>down, but since I live in an appartment building, I can't have that kind
>>>of
>>>noise here...
>>
>> Maybe something's wrong with the fan. Recently, somehow... I had a wire
>> just
>> touching the fan blades. *Really* noisy.
>>
>> OTOH, it might be a bearing on the way out. The fans I've dealt with in
>> my own
>> PCs haven't been all that expensive or hard to replace.
>> --
>> PeteCresswell

El Bandito
April 8th 06, 01:54 AM
You mean they're gonna run full tilt like a jet taking off, even if they
*don't* need to?

Guess it's going back on eBay :(

--

(\_ _/)