PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia 5900XT to 7800GS APG

DaveH-UK
April 7th 06, 01:39 AM
Hi...
Sorry if this is a vid card newbie question...
I am in the process of upgrading my graphics card to a 7800GS AGP. Do I
have to remove the old video card drivers first... or just overwrite
with the new drivers?

Also my monitor is an older 17" Ilarma CRT with a 15 pin 'D' plug, I
notice that these new vid cards don't have a 15 pin 'D' socket... but
two square(ish) looking jobbies that I think are called DVI...? I have
a single adaptor from DVI to 15 pin... but which of the two DVI sockets
do I use? Will I loose half the graphics output by only using the one
DVI socket? Again, apologies if I am being blonde here... but I have
not messed with these newer cards before.

Dave

peter
April 7th 06, 03:30 AM
It helps to uninstall the older drivers first........then under device
manager uninstall the old video card.
Shut system down and remove old card...........install new card and reboot.
Install the new drivers

It really does not matter which DVI plug you use the card will sense the
connection and no you will not lose 1/2 the picture...........
The 2 DVI connections are designed to be able to use 2 monitors

peter

--
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."
"DaveH-UK" > wrote in message
> Hi...
> Sorry if this is a vid card newbie question...
> I am in the process of upgrading my graphics card to a 7800GS AGP. Do I
> have to remove the old video card drivers first... or just overwrite with
> the new drivers?
>
> Also my monitor is an older 17" Ilarma CRT with a 15 pin 'D' plug, I
> notice that these new vid cards don't have a 15 pin 'D' socket... but two
> square(ish) looking jobbies that I think are called DVI...? I have a
> single adaptor from DVI to 15 pin... but which of the two DVI sockets do I
> use? Will I loose half the graphics output by only using the one DVI
> socket? Again, apologies if I am being blonde here... but I have not
> messed with these newer cards before.
>
> Dave

Zain
April 7th 06, 05:27 AM
If you have the latest forceware drivers, I'm not too sure if it'd
matter.

-
Zain

DaveH-UK
April 7th 06, 11:24 AM
peter wrote:
> It helps to uninstall the older drivers first........then under device
> manager uninstall the old video card.
> Shut system down and remove old card...........install new card and reboot.
> Install the new drivers
>
> It really does not matter which DVI plug you use the card will sense the
> connection and no you will not lose 1/2 the picture...........
> The 2 DVI connections are designed to be able to use 2 monitors
>
> peter

Thanks for the advice Peter, I had a rough idea what to do... but as
they say... "When in dought, check!" :)

My next upgrade will probably be a new flat/wide screen monitor to
compliment the new graphics card...

Hey, any ideas what to do about this bank manager I have kicking and
screaming my cupboard?

Thanks again.... Dave

peter
April 8th 06, 03:49 AM
Take him for all he is worth.............its your money they're playing with
peter