PDA

View Full Version : Re: AMD AM2 Prices posted


YKhan
April 6th 06, 07:35 PM
Ed wrote:
> Athlon 64 FX-62 AM2 $1,236
>
> Sempron 2800+ AM2 $67

Damn, that's just an unbelievable price difference between two
processors that come from essentially the same core!

Yousuf Khan

Wes Newell
April 6th 06, 09:19 PM
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:35:45 -0700, YKhan wrote:

> Ed wrote:
>> Athlon 64 FX-62 AM2 $1,236
>>
>> Sempron 2800+ AM2 $67
>
> Damn, that's just an unbelievable price difference between two
> processors that come from essentially the same core!
>
Different cores, and there's 2 cores in the FX-62. Still a big difference
in price though.:-)

--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

Del Cecchi
April 8th 06, 04:31 AM
"YKhan" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ed wrote:
>> Athlon 64 FX-62 AM2 $1,236
>>
>> Sempron 2800+ AM2 $67
>
> Damn, that's just an unbelievable price difference between two
> processors that come from essentially the same core!
>
> Yousuf Khan
>

Well you need to remember that price is not cost.

mxh
April 8th 06, 06:35 AM
"Ed" > wrote in message
...
> On 6 Apr 2006 11:35:45 -0700, "YKhan" > wrote:
>
>>Ed wrote:
>>> Athlon 64 FX-62 AM2 $1,236
>>>
>>> Sempron 2800+ AM2 $67
>>
>>Damn, that's just an unbelievable price difference between two
>>processors that come from essentially the same core!
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> Different markets, yields are never that great on the fastest parts,
> die-hard gamers will pay a premium for a few extra percent in
> performance, AMD can't keep up with demand, new chips and boards are
> always over priced to offset R&D, yearly bonuses, filling CEOs pockets
> with cash, etc,etc.

> There is a sucker born every minute.

Since that phrase was coined in the mid 1800s, at the current rate of
population growth, surely the sucker rate must be up to one every second?

Johannes
April 8th 06, 12:52 PM
mxh wrote:
>
> "Ed" > wrote in message
> ...
> > On 6 Apr 2006 11:35:45 -0700, "YKhan" > wrote:
> >
> >>Ed wrote:
> >>> Athlon 64 FX-62 AM2 $1,236
> >>>
> >>> Sempron 2800+ AM2 $67
> >>
> >>Damn, that's just an unbelievable price difference between two
> >>processors that come from essentially the same core!
> >>
> >> Yousuf Khan
> >
> > Different markets, yields are never that great on the fastest parts,
> > die-hard gamers will pay a premium for a few extra percent in
> > performance, AMD can't keep up with demand, new chips and boards are
> > always over priced to offset R&D, yearly bonuses, filling CEOs pockets
> > with cash, etc,etc.
>
> > There is a sucker born every minute.
>
> Since that phrase was coined in the mid 1800s, at the current rate of
> population growth, surely the sucker rate must be up to one every second?

But that is what all babies do?