PDA

View Full Version : 6800XT loss of frame rate after change to SATA drive......

April 4th 06, 09:23 PM
I'm not even sure where to go with this one.....

I am running an 6800XT AGP, GIG of 333 ram, Asus P5P800? MB and was
benchmarking at:

3DMARK2001SE 14404
3DMARK05 2400

(Now I know these benchmarks are imperfect but as a relative gauge of
change I have found them to be accurate.)

So my main HD was a Maxtor 120 GIG 7200 IDE 8Megs and it starts giving
me errors, videos would stutter. I was sure it was the HD as the same
video would run from my E Drive or from the CD ROM. Also the Event
Viewer was showing IDE device 0 problems. The HD would work for
awhile perfectly after a reformat and then at some point an hour into
use the problems would start again.

Perfect, time to go SATA, so I pick up a WD 80 GIG SATA II drive
(although my MB only supports SATA I) and install it. First thing I
always do after that latest Nvidia drivers and DirectX 9 is run my
benchmarks:

3DMARK2001SE 12306
3DMARK05 1000 something

WTH? Do the benchmarks page off of the HD and I got a slow one? So I
add SP1 which my motherboard manual implies is needed for full SATA
support with no change.

Reset BIOS back to defaults, play with AGP size, etc. no change.

So I pull the SATA drive and go back and add in the original IDE and
reformat it and the benchmarks were still low !?

How did I drop some 15-50% in my benchmarks by adding a SATA drive?
Even when I go back to my previous working configuration I am still
screwed. Its almost as if the act of adding SATA to the motherboard
changed something (if it's the motherboard at all).

Or its something in the video card I don't know about. But this is
after a fresh install of XP and format of the drive, with the latest
Nvidia drivers that were working before.....

Nothing is overclocked on my system. Just once I opened RIVA Tuner and
added a pipeline, just so I can say I did, but I then put it back to
default.

Any thoughts? Sure I could upgrade the BIOS on my MB, but why do
things not work back at default?

I want my frame rate back !

Thanks

Scott

First of One
April 4th 06, 11:44 PM
Make sure you have the latest motherboard chipset drivers installed (Intel
calls it "INF Update Utility"):

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21#DRV

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> I'm not even sure where to go with this one.....
>
> I am running an 6800XT AGP, GIG of 333 ram, Asus P5P800? MB and was
> benchmarking at:
>
> 3DMARK2001SE 14404
> 3DMARK05 2400
>
> (Now I know these benchmarks are imperfect but as a relative gauge of
> change I have found them to be accurate.)
>
> So my main HD was a Maxtor 120 GIG 7200 IDE 8Megs and it starts giving
> me errors, videos would stutter. I was sure it was the HD as the same
> video would run from my E Drive or from the CD ROM. Also the Event
> Viewer was showing IDE device 0 problems. The HD would work for
> awhile perfectly after a reformat and then at some point an hour into
> use the problems would start again.
>
> Perfect, time to go SATA, so I pick up a WD 80 GIG SATA II drive
> (although my MB only supports SATA I) and install it. First thing I
> always do after that latest Nvidia drivers and DirectX 9 is run my
> benchmarks:
>
> 3DMARK2001SE 12306
> 3DMARK05 1000 something
>
> WTH? Do the benchmarks page off of the HD and I got a slow one? So I
> add SP1 which my motherboard manual implies is needed for full SATA
> support with no change.
>
> Reset BIOS back to defaults, play with AGP size, etc. no change.
>
> So I pull the SATA drive and go back and add in the original IDE and
> reformat it and the benchmarks were still low !?
>
> How did I drop some 15-50% in my benchmarks by adding a SATA drive?
> Even when I go back to my previous working configuration I am still
> screwed. Its almost as if the act of adding SATA to the motherboard
> changed something (if it's the motherboard at all).
>
> Or its something in the video card I don't know about. But this is
> after a fresh install of XP and format of the drive, with the latest
> Nvidia drivers that were working before.....
>
> Nothing is overclocked on my system. Just once I opened RIVA Tuner and
> added a pipeline, just so I can say I did, but I then put it back to
> default.
>
> Any thoughts? Sure I could upgrade the BIOS on my MB, but why do
> things not work back at default?
>
> I want my frame rate back !
>
> Thanks
>
> Scott

April 5th 06, 12:12 AM
Aw, you may be right. I wrote down my sequence of events AFTER things
turned to poo, not before. The first time I 'may' have done this. Will
try this evening.

Thanks for the responce
Scott

April 5th 06, 05:49 AM
Yep, if was the INF Update, I am an ID10T (again).

Thanks

I have my frame rates back !