PDA

View Full Version : no more nvidia card but startup items still trying to run

March 29th 06, 06:09 PM
switched from Nvidia video card to ATI and am having trouble getting
rid of the Nvidia startup stuff. On every reboot I get error messages
with "module not found".

The files are gone but there are 3 reg
keys I can't get rid of. All are in
HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run Keys are Nwiz,
NvCplDaemon, and Nvmediacenter. I can open regedit, delete them, close
regedit, and when I reopen it they are back.

My user is a member of administrators and regedit show administrators
having full control.
Have also tried from administrator account and from safe mode. As
administrator I can delete the keys and close/reopen regedit and they
still gone but no matter what I do the keys come back on next reboot.

Have also tried DriverCleaner Registry cleaner, and JV16 power tools,
same result.

I've also tried disabling the items in MSCONFIG but they recheck
themselves after reboot.

I've tried checking permissions all the way up the tree and everything
looks ok; obviously it isn't though.

I'm not sure if this is a permissions issue or if something is
re-adding these entries.

Folk
March 29th 06, 06:37 PM
On 29 Mar 2006 09:09:14 -0800, wrote:

>switched from Nvidia video card to ATI and am having trouble getting
>rid of the Nvidia startup stuff. On every reboot I get error messages
>with "module not found".
>
>The files are gone but there are 3 reg
>keys I can't get rid of. All are in
>HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run Keys are Nwiz,
>NvCplDaemon, and Nvmediacenter. I can open regedit, delete them, close
>regedit, and when I reopen it they are back.
>
>My user is a member of administrators and regedit show administrators
>having full control.
>Have also tried from administrator account and from safe mode. As
>administrator I can delete the keys and close/reopen regedit and they
>still gone but no matter what I do the keys come back on next reboot.
>
>Have also tried DriverCleaner Registry cleaner, and JV16 power tools,
>same result.
>
>I've also tried disabling the items in MSCONFIG but they recheck
>themselves after reboot.
>
>I've tried checking permissions all the way up the tree and everything
>looks ok; obviously it isn't though.
>
>I'm not sure if this is a permissions issue or if something is
>re-adding these entries.

What you *didn't* say was "I removed the drivers using Add/Remove
Programs in Control Panel.

March 29th 06, 06:43 PM
OK, you're right, I did. I guess that wasn't the right way? Can you
help me out?

Larry Roberts
March 29th 06, 09:51 PM
On 29 Mar 2006 09:43:41 -0800, wrote:

>OK, you're right, I did. I guess that wasn't the right way? Can you
>help me out?

You said you used Driver Cleaner. Have you already installed
the ATI drivers? If so, go into the Add/Remove control panal, and
remove the drivers. Then run Driver Cleaner, but try running it in
safe mode. Also include all ATI, and Nvidia drivers in the cleaning
process, unless it pertains to your mainboard's chipset, or audio
drivers.
Then reboot, nad install the ATI driver.

March 30th 06, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. The problem ended up being a spyware blocker that
was changing the registry back......

Folk
March 30th 06, 08:56 PM
On 30 Mar 2006 07:53:52 -0800, wrote:

>Thanks for the reply. The problem ended up being a spyware blocker that
>was changing the registry back......

Ouch.

DaveL
March 30th 06, 10:06 PM
Yeah, some of these so called spyware blockers are actually hijacker type
spyware worms themselves.

DaveL