PDA

View Full Version : where can i buy AGP6800ultra in UK


Chris
March 29th 06, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know of a vendor in the UK that has in stock an AGP 6800 ultra?

Many thanks

Matt U.K.
March 29th 06, 01:32 PM
Hi Chris,

You could take a look on ebay on the off chance, or go for a newer card see
below:-

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6600AGP_Series.html
XFX GeForce 6800 GS Extreme XT Edition 256MB GDDR3 (AGP) Price: 144.95
(170.32 Including VAT at 17.5%).

Read the spec here
http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfiguration Id=143372

Hope this helps

Matt U.K.


"Chris" > wrote in message
...
>
> Does anyone know of a vendor in the UK that has in stock an AGP 6800
> ultra?
>
> Many thanks
>

Chris
March 29th 06, 02:14 PM
Thanks Matt

I went for this card in the end, to replace my old burnt out bfg6800ultra oc
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/AGP.html
PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail
(GX-058-PC)

I really wanted to stick with nvidia and will no doubt convert back when i
eventually upgrade to sli dual cards, which wasnt an option at the moment
due to expense.
My wife has an ATI and its been very reliable and the graphics seem on a par
with the ultra so i'm going to give it a try..

Thanks for the links and info. Appreciated


"Matt U.K." > wrote in message
...
> Hi Chris,
>
> You could take a look on ebay on the off chance, or go for a newer card
> see below:-
>
> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6600AGP_Series.html
> XFX GeForce 6800 GS Extreme XT Edition 256MB GDDR3 (AGP) Price: 144.95
> (170.32 Including VAT at 17.5%).
>
> Read the spec here
> http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfiguration Id=143372
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Matt U.K.
>
>
> "Chris" > wrote in message
> ...
>>
>> Does anyone know of a vendor in the UK that has in stock an AGP 6800
>> ultra?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>
>

Matt U.K.
March 29th 06, 02:34 PM
Hi Chris,

Your welcome, I'm an Nvidia man myself currently using a xfx 6600 GT 128MB
for 'Battlefield 2' & 'CounterStrike Source'. Will dump this once I get my
gaming rig built.

Cya M8.

Matt U.K.

"Chris" > wrote in message
...
> Thanks Matt
>
> I went for this card in the end, to replace my old burnt out bfg6800ultra
> oc
> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/AGP.html
> PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail
> (GX-058-PC)
>
> I really wanted to stick with nvidia and will no doubt convert back when i
> eventually upgrade to sli dual cards, which wasnt an option at the moment
> due to expense.
> My wife has an ATI and its been very reliable and the graphics seem on a
> par with the ultra so i'm going to give it a try..
>
> Thanks for the links and info. Appreciated
>
>
> "Matt U.K." > wrote in message
> ...
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> You could take a look on ebay on the off chance, or go for a newer card
>> see below:-
>>
>> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6600AGP_Series.html
>> XFX GeForce 6800 GS Extreme XT Edition 256MB GDDR3 (AGP) Price: 144.95
>> (170.32 Including VAT at 17.5%).
>>
>> Read the spec here
>> http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfiguration Id=143372
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Matt U.K.
>>
>>
>> "Chris" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a vendor in the UK that has in stock an AGP 6800
>>> ultra?
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

March 29th 06, 03:09 PM
Chris (removee) wrote:
> Thanks Matt
>
> I went for this card in the end, to replace my old burnt out bfg6800ultra oc
> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/AGP.html
> PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail
> (GX-058-PC)
>

You really didn't give us much time to respond. That's a nice card
for sure, but it doesn't have shader model 3.0 like your ultra did.

Not to dump on your nice new card, as that isn't a huge deal, but it is
definately something to note.

Chris
March 29th 06, 04:27 PM
Hi Tom

I hope not having shadel model 3.0 will not make much of a difference in the
games I play (world of warcraft mainly).

Apparently ATI use SMARTSHADER HD, which according to an article ive just
been reading is an extension of the 2.0 shader model. Pixel Shader 2.0b
Fingers crossed that I wont have made a noticable downgrade when playing
games.
I found some comparison pictures of shader model 2.0 against 3.0, but not
3.0 compared to 2.0b

Is the ATI pixel shaders known to be inferior to the nvidia?



> wrote in message
ups.com...
>
> Chris (removee) wrote:
>> Thanks Matt
>>
>> I went for this card in the end, to replace my old burnt out bfg6800ultra
>> oc
>> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/AGP.html
>> PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail
>> (GX-058-PC)
>>
>
> You really didn't give us much time to respond. That's a nice card
> for sure, but it doesn't have shader model 3.0 like your ultra did.
>
> Not to dump on your nice new card, as that isn't a huge deal, but it is
> definately something to note.
>

Thomas
March 29th 06, 05:09 PM
Chris (removee) wrote:
> Hi Tom
>
> I hope not having shadel model 3.0 will not make much of a difference in the
> games I play (world of warcraft mainly).
>
> Apparently ATI use SMARTSHADER HD, which according to an article ive just
> been reading is an extension of the 2.0 shader model. Pixel Shader 2.0b
> Fingers crossed that I wont have made a noticable downgrade when playing
> games.
> I found some comparison pictures of shader model 2.0 against 3.0, but not
> 3.0 compared to 2.0b
>
> Is the ATI pixel shaders known to be inferior to the nvidia?
>

The ATI pixel shaders on that card aren't "inferior" per se, just a
little older. Newer ATI cards (x1800 series, etc) have shader model 3.
FYI, the best AGP card on the market right now is definately the 7800
GS (evga has an overclocked on that rules), but it's a tad more
expensive than the card you bought.

What you will be missing is some effects in newer games (older games
will be no different). As an example, HDR in many games will require
3.0 (Oblivion requires it, I believe). You will be able to get HDR in
some other games but it will be a big performance hit. I wouldn't
worry too much about it, as there is always a new technology around the
corner or just released that makes our existing stuff obsolete. DX 10
cards will be out shortly I'm sure.

I should mention that I am by no means an expert on this - there are
people on this NG who know way more about this kind of thing than I do
and will undoubtedly correct me if I am mistaken on any part of this :)

Thomas
March 29th 06, 05:39 PM
Chris (removee) wrote:
> Hi Tom
>
> I hope not having shadel model 3.0 will not make much of a difference in the
> games I play (world of warcraft mainly).

Didn't notice this on the first readthrough - Shader model 3.0 won't
make any difference at all in WOW to my knowledge, in fact probably
none on any of the games you currently play.