PDA

View Full Version : Physics accelerator? When did this come out?

Larry Roberts
March 27th 06, 01:43 AM
Seen that the Dell "Renegade" system included a Physics
accelerators card. How exactly does this thing work, and is there any
games taking adavantage of such a thing? DirectX maybe?

J. Clarke
March 27th 06, 02:34 AM
Larry Roberts wrote:

> Seen that the Dell "Renegade" system included a Physics
> accelerators card. How exactly does this thing work, and is there any
> games taking adavantage of such a thing? DirectX maybe?

There's a list at <http://physx.ageia.com/titles.html>. Not a very long
one.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Shinnokxz
March 27th 06, 03:15 AM
Larry Roberts wrote:
> Seen that the Dell "Renegade" system included a Physics
> accelerators card. How exactly does this thing work, and is there any
> games taking adavantage of such a thing? DirectX maybe?

It's simply a card used to compute all the physics in a game. The game
of course has to be programmed around it and there are only two games
out there that have patches for it. Some of the videos are phenomenal.

--
Shinnokxz - http://www.coryhansen.com
"I'm sorry. It's time for you to go." spoke the Gord.

RaceFace
March 28th 06, 02:04 AM
"Shinnokxz" > wrote in message
> Larry Roberts wrote:
>> Seen that the Dell "Renegade" system included a Physics
>> accelerators card. How exactly does this thing work, and is there any
>> games taking adavantage of such a thing? DirectX maybe?
>
> It's simply a card used to compute all the physics in a game. The game of
> course has to be programmed around it and there are only two games out
> there that have patches for it. Some of the videos are phenomenal.
>
> --
> Shinnokxz - http://www.coryhansen.com
> "I'm sorry. It's time for you to go." spoke the Gord.

My hope is that card developers will start to incorporate the the PhysX chip
right into their graphics card designs. This would truly bring about a
revolution in games. We've seen what the less powerful Havok engine can do
for games, but this would be leaps and bounds better.

RF.