PDA

View Full Version : 6800 overclock question


farmuse
March 25th 06, 12:36 AM
with good airflow what is the best overclock I can get from a 6800
non-ultra with stock cooler. this is a eVGA card, seems well made. I
don't wanna fry it, just get a ballpark idea of what is possible. are
the ram chips cooled by the stock cooler ie large flat green cooler with
black fan at one end ? if I can get a little better performance with EQ
II then I will sit tight.

other components include

XP 3200, 1 GB dual channel, NF7-S2G, sata drive, SB Live !, Antec
tower case with 430w power supply. Computer runs cool and stable, has
cooling fan blowing directly on the video card.

using Rivatuner to unlock the other four pipes, no artifacts seen.
core was 325 MHz, now 345. ram on card not OC yet, want the core tested
first. any comments welcomed, thanks in advance.

Pete
March 25th 06, 04:24 AM
farmuse > wrote in news:Cn%Uf.9859$k75.6790
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> with good airflow what is the best overclock I can get from a 6800
> non-ultra with stock cooler. this is a eVGA card, seems well made. I
> don't wanna fry it, just get a ballpark idea of what is possible. are
> the ram chips cooled by the stock cooler ie large flat green cooler with
> black fan at one end ? if I can get a little better performance with EQ
> II then I will sit tight.
>
> other components include
>
> XP 3200, 1 GB dual channel, NF7-S2G, sata drive, SB Live !, Antec
> tower case with 430w power supply. Computer runs cool and stable, has
> cooling fan blowing directly on the video card.
>
> using Rivatuner to unlock the other four pipes, no artifacts seen.
> core was 325 MHz, now 345. ram on card not OC yet, want the core tested
> first. any comments welcomed, thanks in advance.
>

My Leadtek 6800le is running the core 300 (stock) in 2D and 425 in 3D with
the memory (DDR) at 440 with 16 pipes and 5 shaders, stock cooler. Watch
the heat, might want to replace the stock heatsink compound with something
better to start. 11,500 was its best in 3DMark03.

Running on NF7S-v2, Athlon 2400 mobile @ 2.5GHz.

http://www.mvktech.net/ is a *great* site for tools and tips.

farmuse
March 27th 06, 05:35 AM
Pete wrote:
> farmuse > wrote in news:Cn%Uf.9859$k75.6790
> @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>
>
>> with good airflow what is the best overclock I can get from a 6800
>>non-ultra with stock cooler. this is a eVGA card, seems well made. I
>>don't wanna fry it, just get a ballpark idea of what is possible. are
>>the ram chips cooled by the stock cooler ie large flat green cooler with
>>black fan at one end ? if I can get a little better performance with EQ
>>II then I will sit tight.
>>
>> other components include
>>
>> XP 3200, 1 GB dual channel, NF7-S2G, sata drive, SB Live !, Antec
>>tower case with 430w power supply. Computer runs cool and stable, has
>>cooling fan blowing directly on the video card.
>>
>> using Rivatuner to unlock the other four pipes, no artifacts seen.
>>core was 325 MHz, now 345. ram on card not OC yet, want the core tested
>>first. any comments welcomed, thanks in advance.
>>
>
>
> My Leadtek 6800le is running the core 300 (stock) in 2D and 425 in 3D with
> the memory (DDR) at 440 with 16 pipes and 5 shaders, stock cooler. Watch
> the heat, might want to replace the stock heatsink compound with something
> better to start. 11,500 was its best in 3DMark03.
>
> Running on NF7S-v2, Athlon 2400 mobile @ 2.5GHz.
>
> http://www.mvktech.net/ is a *great* site for tools and tips.

thanks Pete, so did you replace the thermal paste in your
6800le ? so far just raising the gpu by 27 MHz made a difference. I hope
the frame rates go even higher once the ram is sped up some. Think
having 128 MB ram is enough for EQ II ? of course 256 DDR3 would be
great, but if 128 overclocked would do it then I will just wait and
upgrade later when agp cards are even cheaper. thanks again, good link !

Pete
March 27th 06, 02:27 PM
farmuse > wrote in news:qYJVf.10603$sL2.1740
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> thanks Pete, so did you replace the thermal paste in your
> 6800le ? so far just raising the gpu by 27 MHz made a difference. I hope
> the frame rates go even higher once the ram is sped up some. Think
> having 128 MB ram is enough for EQ II ? of course 256 DDR3 would be
> great, but if 128 overclocked would do it then I will just wait and
> upgrade later when agp cards are even cheaper. thanks again, good link !
>

Yes, with Arctic Silver Ceramique. It still runs hot, hotter than what it
should, but without aftermarket cooling that's to be expected. The Leadtek
has a nice copper heatsink but a pretty small fan, at least in the LE
version.

EQII? Run it and see. Push what you have. We're kind of on the trailing
edge of the power curve. In 2 years it will be worthless anyway.

Victor Hall
March 27th 06, 04:24 PM
"farmuse" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Pete wrote:
>> farmuse > wrote in news:Cn%Uf.9859$k75.6790
>> @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>>
>>
>>> with good airflow what is the best overclock I can get from a 6800
>>> non-ultra with stock cooler. this is a eVGA card, seems well made. I
>>> don't wanna fry it, just get a ballpark idea of what is possible. are
>>> the ram chips cooled by the stock cooler ie large flat green cooler with
>>> black fan at one end ? if I can get a little better performance with EQ
>>> II then I will sit tight.
>>>
>>> other components include
>>>
>>> XP 3200, 1 GB dual channel, NF7-S2G, sata drive, SB Live !, Antec
>>> tower case with 430w power supply. Computer runs cool and stable, has
>>> cooling fan blowing directly on the video card.
>>>
>>> using Rivatuner to unlock the other four pipes, no artifacts seen.
>>> core was 325 MHz, now 345. ram on card not OC yet, want the core tested
>>> first. any comments welcomed, thanks in advance.
>>>
>>
>>
>> My Leadtek 6800le is running the core 300 (stock) in 2D and 425 in 3D
>> with the memory (DDR) at 440 with 16 pipes and 5 shaders, stock cooler.
>> Watch the heat, might want to replace the stock heatsink compound with
>> something better to start. 11,500 was its best in 3DMark03. Running on
>> NF7S-v2, Athlon 2400 mobile @ 2.5GHz.
>>
>> http://www.mvktech.net/ is a *great* site for tools and tips.
>
> thanks Pete, so did you replace the thermal paste in your 6800le
> ? so far just raising the gpu by 27 MHz made a difference. I hope the
> frame rates go even higher once the ram is sped up some. Think having 128
> MB ram is enough for EQ II ? of course 256 DDR3 would be great, but if 128
> overclocked would do it then I will just wait and upgrade later when agp
> cards are even cheaper.

Might take awhile for some of these high-end AGP cards to come down.You
might even see some prices rise short term
as these cards are fazed out and become harder to find.Look at the 6800gs
prices are holding steady even after the release of the
7800gs.-Vic