PDA

View Full Version : deciding if worth it to jump to XP64

Scotter
March 24th 06, 05:07 PM
Hi-

I'm curious to hear from people who have made the jump from XP32 to XP64 if
it seems like a snappier OS, overall? I realize there are not many programs
written FOR 64bit. I'm wondering if just moving around in the OS, stuff like
using the context-sensitive "send to", using the 64-bit version of IE, etc.,
seems any snappier? I'm also looking forward to putting a couple more gig
RAM in my box.

I've researched and found every one of the softwares I use will install and
run on XP64 so at least that is no longer a concern.

Thanks for any advice you can give. Please also note the hardware I'm using
below in case you have had problems with any of them or heard of any...
I'm especially concerned about the sound card and the Sony DVD burner.

Thanks!
--
Scotter
Tyan Thunder K8WE

dawg
March 24th 06, 08:26 PM
"Scotter" > wrote in message
> Hi-
>
> I'm curious to hear from people who have made the jump from XP32 to XP64
if
> it seems like a snappier OS, overall? I realize there are not many
programs
> written FOR 64bit. I'm wondering if just moving around in the OS, stuff
like
> using the context-sensitive "send to", using the 64-bit version of IE,
etc.,
> seems any snappier? I'm also looking forward to putting a couple more gig
> RAM in my box.
>
> I've researched and found every one of the softwares I use will install
and
> run on XP64 so at least that is no longer a concern.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give. Please also note the hardware I'm
using
> below in case you have had problems with any of them or heard of any...
> I'm especially concerned about the sound card and the Sony DVD burner.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Scotter
> Tyan Thunder K8WE
> Dual Opteron 252s (2.6ghz)
> 4 gig Corsair XMS DDR400 RAM
> XFX 7800 GTX 256 w/VGAsilencerV3
> 500 gig Hitachi SATA 300
> 160 gig Seagate SATA 150
> Dual Dell 24" wide aspect LCDs
> 550W Antec power supply
> X-Fi Platinum Soundblaster
> Sony external DRX710-UL (cd/dvd burner)
> -

No point really unless you like fixing computer problems and hunting the web
for better drivers.
Seems to me Microsoft kinda cobbled together Win64 just to got something out
there for newly released 64 bit cpu's. Wait for Vista.

Gold Fingers
March 26th 06, 05:58 AM
I can respond to this topic if you post it on the following google
group:
http://groups.google.com/group/64-bit_Hardware__OSs
You will need to become a member in order to post.

oldwolf
March 26th 06, 07:53 AM
As Above

Why should he have to move to another group to get an answer??
Or are you too much of a snob to discuss it in front of all of us , who
might like to know the answer also?
Also newsgroups are meant to be free to assist other readers!

"Gold Fingers" > wrote in message
ups.com...
I can respond to this topic if you post it on the following google
group:
http://groups.google.com/group/64-bit_Hardware__OSs
You will need to become a member in order to post.

Larry Roberts
March 26th 06, 10:15 AM
On 25 Mar 2006 20:58:27 -0800, "Gold Fingers" >
wrote:

>I can respond to this topic if you post it on the following google
>group:
>http://groups.google.com/group/64-bit_Hardware__OSs
>You will need to become a member in order to post.

That's retarded! Why should they go to your group to get an
answer?

-nos1eep
March 26th 06, 04:00 PM
It is further alleged that on or about 25 Mar 2006 20:58:27 -0800, in
alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64, the queezy keyboard of "Gold Fingers"
> spewed the following:

|I can respond to this topic if you post it on the following google
|group:
|http://groups.google.com/group/64-bit_Hardware__OSs
|You will need to become a member in order to post.

Impressive. 5 members, you say, 6 topics, you say, no responses, you
say.
--
-nos1eep

J. Eric Durbin
March 26th 06, 04:50 PM
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:36:43 -0500, Bill > wrote:

>Scotter wrote:
>
>>I'm curious to hear from people who have made the jump from XP32 to XP64 if
>>it seems like a snappier OS, overall? I realize there are not many programs
>>written FOR 64bit. I'm wondering if just moving around in the OS, stuff like
>>using the context-sensitive "send to", using the 64-bit version of IE, etc.,

>And none of the big antivirus programs have been updated for x64.

AV apps that are reputed to work with XP x64 are:

Nod32
Avast! (both free and pro)
AVG 7.1 (but not Free AVG)
eTrust 7.1 (CA)
McAfee Enterprise 8.x
Symantec Corp 10.0.1

I can only vouch for NOD32 which works like a charm.