PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia has lost its Mind

Dromiz
March 23rd 06, 05:40 PM
Nvidia has now released a SLI that uses 4 graphics cards. With that you are
looking at $1200-$3000 just for graphics cards and have seen these systems
and some are sell for $6000 to almost $10,000. Nvidia needs to work on
making one cards that is solid and not the scam of many cards. If games
start requiring 4 graphics cards people will stop getting these games.
Already with SLI 2 cards the CPU can not keep up with the GPU needs.

Kent_Diego
March 23rd 06, 06:01 PM
> Nvidia has now released a SLI that uses 4 graphics cards. With that you
> are looking at $1200-$3000 just for graphics cards and have seen these
> systems and some are sell for $6000 to almost $10,000. Nvidia needs to
> work on making one cards that is solid and not the scam of many cards. If
> games start requiring 4 graphics cards people will stop getting these
> games. Already with SLI 2 cards the CPU can not keep up with the GPU
> needs.
According to the Steam survey http://steampowered.com/status/survey.html
only 0.77% of all gamers use SLI. I think a lot of people buy a SLI
motherboard but only one video card just in case they may want to upgrade in
future. nVidea makes a lot on each SLI motherboard so even if few use dual
cards they still win big, selling the same chip for $50 more.

-Kent

McGrandpa
March 24th 06, 12:20 AM
"Dromiz" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nvidia has now released a SLI that uses 4 graphics cards. With that you
> are looking at $1200-$3000 just for graphics cards and have seen these
> systems and some are sell for $6000 to almost $10,000. Nvidia needs to
> work on making one cards that is solid and not the scam of many cards. If
> games start requiring 4 graphics cards people will stop getting these
> games. Already with SLI 2 cards the CPU can not keep up with the GPU
> needs.

My lowly stock clocked X2 4800+ doesn't seem to have any problems keeping up
with my pair of 7800GTX's :o)
Mcg.

First of One
March 24th 06, 01:09 AM
What people are using currently to play HL2 and all its derivatives:
http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Of interest is the great percentage of users with FX5200, GF4 MX and Radeon
9200 cards. Any developer with a sense of self-preservation won't start
making games that require 4-way SLI. One reason Half Life 2 is so successful
commercially is its relatively forgiving hardware requirements.

The uber-high-end niche market has always been there. Even after the demise
of 3dfx, Quantum3D was still offering the AAlchemy system with an 8-way
Voodoo2 SLI option.

"Dromiz" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nvidia has now released a SLI that uses 4 graphics cards. With that you
> are looking at $1200-$3000 just for graphics cards and have seen these
> systems and some are sell for $6000 to almost $10,000. Nvidia needs to
> work on making one cards that is solid and not the scam of many cards. If
> games start requiring 4 graphics cards people will stop getting these
> games. Already with SLI 2 cards the CPU can not keep up with the GPU
> needs.

Bill
March 24th 06, 01:31 AM
In article >,
says...

> "Dromiz" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Nvidia has now released a SLI that uses 4 graphics cards. With that you
> > are looking at $1200-$3000 just for graphics cards and have seen these
> > systems and some are sell for $6000 to almost $10,000. Nvidia needs to
> > work on making one cards that is solid and not the scam of many cards. If
> > games start requiring 4 graphics cards people will stop getting these
> > games. Already with SLI 2 cards the CPU can not keep up with the GPU
> > needs.
> >
> My lowly stock clocked X2 4800+ doesn't seem to have any problems keeping up
> with my pair of 7800GTX's :o)
> Mcg.

I understand you need a FX-60 to get a decent frame rate in Minesweeper. ;)

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

deimos
March 24th 06, 02:18 AM
First of One wrote:
> What people are using currently to play HL2 and all its derivatives:
> http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html
>
> Of interest is the great percentage of users with FX5200, GF4 MX and Radeon
> 9200 cards. Any developer with a sense of self-preservation won't start
> making games that require 4-way SLI. One reason Half Life 2 is so successful
> commercially is its relatively forgiving hardware requirements.
>
> The uber-high-end niche market has always been there. Even after the demise
> of 3dfx, Quantum3D was still offering the AAlchemy system with an 8-way
> Voodoo2 SLI option.

And since NVIDIA is basically a chip design company only, they can make
an unlimited amount of product designs without much negative impact on
themselves. There will always be an application for some insane
graphics configuration (real flight simulators, realtime immersive
training, amusement rides, etc)

First of One
March 24th 06, 05:43 AM
I think I'll wait for Conroe to keep Solitaire from turning into a
slideshow.

"Bill" > wrote in message
> I understand you need a FX-60 to get a decent frame rate in Minesweeper.
> ;)
>
> Bill
> --
> Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Conor
March 24th 06, 04:04 PM
In article >, Dromiz
says...
> Nvidia has now released a SLI that uses 4 graphics cards. With that you are
> looking at $1200-$3000 just for graphics cards and have seen these systems
> and some are sell for $6000 to almost $10,000. Nvidia needs to work on
> making one cards that is solid and not the scam of many cards. If games
> start requiring 4 graphics cards people will stop getting these games.
> Already with SLI 2 cards the CPU can not keep up with the GPU needs.

Its called "fleecing the stupid". SLI is nothing but a big con designed
to part fools with their money.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.

John Lewis
March 24th 06, 11:03 PM
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:09:06 -0500, "First of One" >
wrote:

>What people are using currently to play HL2 and all its derivatives:
>http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html
>
>Of interest is the great percentage of users with FX5200, GF4 MX and Radeon
>9200 cards. Any developer with a sense of self-preservation won't start
>making games that require 4-way SLI.

No reason why a developer cannot arrange to scale the graphics through
the Advanced Options, such as with Far Cry or Oblivion. Oblivion with
all graphics features full on and at max. resolution will genuinely
give quad-SLI something to think about. Oblivion scales beautifully
over a wide range of hardware without affecting the gameplay
or user-interaction.

John Lewis

DaveL
March 25th 06, 01:05 AM
Yes and it's a good thing they do. Lets me play Call of Duty 2 with my
lowly 9600XT in DX7 mode with AA turned on.

DaveL

"John Lewis" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:09:06 -0500, "First of One" >
> wrote:
>
>>What people are using currently to play HL2 and all its derivatives:
>>http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html
>>
>>Of interest is the great percentage of users with FX5200, GF4 MX and
>>Radeon
>>9200 cards. Any developer with a sense of self-preservation won't start
>>making games that require 4-way SLI.
>
> No reason why a developer cannot arrange to scale the graphics through
> the Advanced Options, such as with Far Cry or Oblivion. Oblivion with
> all graphics features full on and at max. resolution will genuinely
> give quad-SLI something to think about. Oblivion scales beautifully
> over a wide range of hardware without affecting the gameplay
> or user-interaction.
>
> John Lewis

Ed Forsythe
March 26th 06, 11:13 PM
Sour grapes, Troll -

"Conor" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >, Dromiz
> says...
>> Nvidia has now released a SLI that uses 4 graphics cards. With that you
>> are
>> looking at $1200-$3000 just for graphics cards and have seen these
>> systems
>> and some are sell for $6000 to almost $10,000. Nvidia needs to work on
>> making one cards that is solid and not the scam of many cards. If games
>> start requiring 4 graphics cards people will stop getting these games.
>> Already with SLI 2 cards the CPU can not keep up with the GPU needs.
>>
> Its called "fleecing the stupid". SLI is nothing but a big con designed
> to part fools with their money.
>

> --
> Conor,
>
> Same ****, different day.

March 29th 06, 07:28 AM
nVidia has solid cards with the 6x00 and 7x00 line. I think SLI is a good
way to get more power out of current technology. 3Dfx did exactly the same
thing with Voodoo2 SLI. There will always be people out there with money to
burn that are willing to spend it to run games at higher resolution at
higher framerates

I think its a good way to get more power out of current technology. No game
company is EVER going to design a game that will only run ok on 0.01% of
gamers systems (those with SLI). Game companies design games primarily to
make money.

***Your issues with SLI are completely unfounded.***

The 6800GT which I have is by no means a top of the line graphics card yet
it runs ALL games currently on the market absolutely fine, including
Oblivion (just not at 2000x1500 or whatever with 4xAA - which a modern 7900
SLI setup can do fine)

. ..