PDA

View Full Version : So is Nvidia ever going to put out drivers that work with the Sims 2?

Jeremy Reaban
March 21st 06, 03:54 AM
I mean, it's only the most popular PC game out there. But hey, Nvidia still
can't be bothered to fix the problems with the drivers and the Sims 2 since
78.03 or so.

It used to be just graphic glitches, but now with the new EP, it seems to be
causing crashes as well.

Example:

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?&openItemID=item.21,root.1,item.41,item.23&threadID=76c83b845a4584fbe44f250802fcfdc1&directoryID=21&startRow=1#9308290c3b6d9bca189cfbdeab5c03c6

The ironic thing is, Nvidia and EA are having a movie making contest based
on the Sims 2....

Gil
March 21st 06, 03:19 PM
Funny, we haven't ever had a problem with it - either with a Ti4200 and
45.23 or a 6600GT with new drivers. Sims 2 works just fine either way.

Try turning off AA in the control panel. I find that sometimes crashes
certain games (Vice City) when used instead of the in-game AA settings.

johns
March 21st 06, 11:44 PM
Turn off AA both places. Probably HDR is crashing
the games. Game patches will supposedly fix this
pretty soon. I'm lurking on the Far Cry site reading
about updates and fixes for this.

johns

Jeremy Reaban
March 22nd 06, 03:26 AM
"Gil" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Funny, we haven't ever had a problem with it - either with a Ti4200 and
> 45.23 or a 6600GT with new drivers. Sims 2 works just fine either way.
>
> Try turning off AA in the control panel. I find that sometimes crashes
> certain games (Vice City) when used instead of the in-game AA settings.

Hmmmm, that's odd. Between usenet, the official Sims boards, and various sim
sites I have seen 100s of people with the problem (though those without it
rarely post in such threads, I guess). Here's another thread on it.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=117748&c=0&page=1&pp=25

Mostly seems to affect 6600 GT owners, like myself.

Jeremy Reaban
March 22nd 06, 06:28 AM
"Jeremy Reaban" > wrote in message

> "Gil" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Funny, we haven't ever had a problem with it - either with a Ti4200 and
> > 45.23 or a 6600GT with new drivers. Sims 2 works just fine either way.
> >
> > Try turning off AA in the control panel. I find that sometimes crashes
> > certain games (Vice City) when used instead of the in-game AA settings.
>
> Hmmmm, that's odd. Between usenet, the official Sims boards, and various
sim
> sites I have seen 100s of people with the problem (though those without it
> rarely post in such threads, I guess). Here's another thread on it.
>
> http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=117748&c=0&page=1&pp=25
>
> Mostly seems to affect 6600 GT owners, like myself.

And another thread

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=3541.0

John Lewis
March 24th 06, 10:26 PM
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:54:01 -0600, "Jeremy Reaban"
> wrote:

>I mean, it's only the most popular PC game out there. But hey, Nvidia still
>can't be bothered to fix the problems with the drivers and the Sims 2 since
>78.03 or so.
>
>It used to be just graphic glitches, but now with the new EP, it seems to be
>causing crashes as well.

Aren't most of the people that play Sims2 computer noobs ? Probably
crashing because of all the viruses and spyware. Have you tried
doing a clean test-install of your PC (with all latest drivers, inc.
motherboard driver) on a spare partition ? I have done that in the
past when nothing else worked, and surprise, surprise, the same sort
of problem you have described just vanished. No current Windows OS
does a very good job of monitoring its own validity or that of
installed drivers. Hopefully the extra security layers in Vista will
help flag (AND FIX) a corrupted installation -- for whatever reason,
maverick application, crash or virus.

I played Little Computer People years ago on the Amiga, That was
enough people-sims for me....

John Lewis