PDA

View Full Version : Geforce2 Pro replacement?

Alan Biddle
March 20th 06, 03:38 PM
Hi,

I have an antique (2000) Micron computer, with a Tyan 1854 mobo, 1X-4X
APG, running XP Home. It has an old OEM Geforce2 Pro 64M video card.
I am not a gamer, nor doing anything which requires blinding speed or
graphics. It is used mostly for amateur radio applications, for which
it works perfectly and is ideal. However, I am interested in a bit
more memory, and of course speed is never a bad thing. I tried 2
different PNY Geforce 5500 cards, and both worked perfectly, for about
15-20 minutes, depending on use, and then the computer froze. The PSU
is a 450w unit, so that is _probably_ not the problem.

Calls to both tech support lines essentially said there might well be
a mobo issue, but as old as it was, there wasn't any support
forthcoming. I did notice a few threads here about people having
similar problems with FX 5X00 boards

Any suggestions for a solid board which will work in an old 4X AGP
socket? It doesn't need to be Nvidia.

--
Alan

Conor
March 20th 06, 04:28 PM
In article >, Alan Biddle
says...
> Hi,
>
> I have an antique (2000) Micron computer, with a Tyan 1854 mobo, 1X-4X
> APG, running XP Home. It has an old OEM Geforce2 Pro 64M video card.
> I am not a gamer, nor doing anything which requires blinding speed or
> graphics. It is used mostly for amateur radio applications, for which
> it works perfectly and is ideal. However, I am interested in a bit
> more memory, and of course speed is never a bad thing. I tried 2
> different PNY Geforce 5500 cards, and both worked perfectly, for about
> 15-20 minutes, depending on use, and then the computer froze. The PSU
> is a 450w unit, so that is _probably_ not the problem.
>
> Calls to both tech support lines essentially said there might well be
> a mobo issue, but as old as it was, there wasn't any support
> forthcoming. I did notice a few threads here about people having
> similar problems with FX 5X00 boards
>
> Any suggestions for a solid board which will work in an old 4X AGP
> socket? It doesn't need to be Nvidia.

Stick with what you've got. You'll not benefit from more graphics
memory if you aren't running 3D applications with large textures.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.

deimos
March 20th 06, 10:54 PM
Alan Biddle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an antique (2000) Micron computer, with a Tyan 1854 mobo, 1X-4X
> APG, running XP Home. It has an old OEM Geforce2 Pro 64M video card.
> I am not a gamer, nor doing anything which requires blinding speed or
> graphics. It is used mostly for amateur radio applications, for which
> it works perfectly and is ideal. However, I am interested in a bit
> more memory, and of course speed is never a bad thing. I tried 2
> different PNY Geforce 5500 cards, and both worked perfectly, for about
> 15-20 minutes, depending on use, and then the computer froze. The PSU
> is a 450w unit, so that is _probably_ not the problem.
>
> Calls to both tech support lines essentially said there might well be
> a mobo issue, but as old as it was, there wasn't any support
> forthcoming. I did notice a few threads here about people having
> similar problems with FX 5X00 boards
>
> Any suggestions for a solid board which will work in an old 4X AGP
> socket? It doesn't need to be Nvidia.
>

> --
> Alan

Honestly, you could buy a decent older card like the GF3 TI200/500 or
any GF4 (the TI4200 was an excellent value), but they're hard to come
by. Your tech support was trying to lead into what I'll tell you --
you've got a cheap motherboard with improper AGP support (or a bad
implementation) and there's not much you can do without new or fixed
chipset drivers.

At this point your money is best spent on upgrading your mobo/cpu. For
a few hundred, you could go to an A64 w/ PCIE card like the 6600GT.

DaveL
March 21st 06, 07:19 PM
"deimos" > wrote in message
> Honestly, you could buy a decent older card like the GF3 TI200/500 or any
> GF4 (the TI4200 was an excellent value), but they're hard to come by.

Not so. Ebay has a $#!+load of them at minimal prices too.

DaveL