PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 faulty

VanShania
March 19th 06, 07:48 PM
The Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 has a bad IDE driver that when installed, causes
the computer to repeatedly reboot after start up. When not installed
computer works good. I just finished upgrading from a XP2600 to the A64 3500
and the difference in performance was only about 20-25%(2900 cpu score to
3900 cpuscore on 3500+(used 3dmark 2005 basic)). Anyone upgrading to
anything less than a 4200X2 from a 166(333)fsb XP processor will be
disappointed in the performance gain. Especially if you dish out the big
bucks for a 4000+. I would say wait until at least the 4600X2,even the
4800X2 to come down to a reasonable price before upgrading. The only people
that would appreciate the performance gain in the A64 3200+ to the A64 4000+
would be computers using a processor that runs on a 133(266) fsb.

General Schvantzkoph
March 20th 06, 11:55 AM
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:48:38 -0600, VanShania wrote:

> The Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 has a bad IDE driver that when installed, causes
> the computer to repeatedly reboot after start up. When not installed
> computer works good. I just finished upgrading from a XP2600 to the A64
> 3500 and the difference in performance was only about 20-25%(2900 cpu
> score to 3900 cpuscore on 3500+(used 3dmark 2005 basic)). Anyone upgrading
> to anything less than a 4200X2 from a 166(333)fsb XP processor will be
> disappointed in the performance gain. Especially if you dish out the big
> bucks for a 4000+. I would say wait until at least the 4600X2,even the
> 4800X2 to come down to a reasonable price before upgrading. The only
> people that would appreciate the performance gain in the A64 3200+ to the
> A64 4000+ would be computers using a processor that runs on a 133(266)
> fsb.

Have you tried replacing the IDE cable?

VanShania
March 21st 06, 07:09 PM
Contacted Gigabyte by phone and they directed me to Nvidia website for
updated drivers. They also instructed me to remove my Soundblaster Live
stating this me be conflicting with the IDE driver during install. This done
and the new drivers loaded and worked. Unfortunatly my overall score in
3DMark05 Free was only 1438, well below my Socket A setup. I then used
3DMark 2001 SE to check frame rates and they actually were better than
Socket A.(Socket A was as low as 39fps, 939 was not lower than 52). Though
the 3DMark2001 score is not much better than my overclocked Socket A setup,
My AIW9600XT does only have 4 pipelines so I imagine that this is the bottle
neck. I think I see a AIW X800XL AGP card in my future. So I will grudgingly
use this motherboard, but talk about "buyers regret". If I did go to an Asus
A8N Premium board I would have also had to buy a new All-In-Wonder PCI-E
card for $400 and a new power supply, another $200, plus tax.

--
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939, A64 3500+
PC3200 Samsung 512mb, SB Live OEM

Overall Score 3DMark05 Free- 1438 CpuScore-3883
Overall Score 3DMark2001SE- 12429

"VanShania" > wrote in message
> The Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 has a bad IDE driver that when installed, causes
> the computer to repeatedly reboot after start up. When not installed
> computer works good. I just finished upgrading from a XP2600 to the A64
> 3500 and the difference in performance was only about 20-25%(2900 cpu
> score to 3900 cpuscore on 3500+(used 3dmark 2005 basic)). Anyone upgrading
> to anything less than a 4200X2 from a 166(333)fsb XP processor will be
> disappointed in the performance gain. Especially if you dish out the big
> bucks for a 4000+. I would say wait until at least the 4600X2,even the
> 4800X2 to come down to a reasonable price before upgrading. The only
> people that would appreciate the performance gain in the A64 3200+ to the
> A64 4000+ would be computers using a processor that runs on a 133(266)
> fsb.

dawg
March 24th 06, 08:37 PM
"VanShania" > wrote in message
> Contacted Gigabyte by phone and they directed me to Nvidia website for
> updated drivers. They also instructed me to remove my Soundblaster Live
> stating this me be conflicting with the IDE driver during install. This
done
> and the new drivers loaded and worked. Unfortunatly my overall score in
> 3DMark05 Free was only 1438, well below my Socket A setup. I then used
> 3DMark 2001 SE to check frame rates and they actually were better than
> Socket A.(Socket A was as low as 39fps, 939 was not lower than 52). Though
> the 3DMark2001 score is not much better than my overclocked Socket A
setup,
> My AIW9600XT does only have 4 pipelines so I imagine that this is the
bottle
> neck. I think I see a AIW X800XL AGP card in my future. So I will
grudgingly
> use this motherboard, but talk about "buyers regret". If I did go to an
Asus
> A8N Premium board I would have also had to buy a new All-In-Wonder PCI-E
> card for $400 and a new power supply, another $200, plus tax.
>
> --
> Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939, A64 3500+
> PC3200 Samsung 512mb, SB Live OEM
> ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 XT
> WD120gb + 80gb HD 8mb buffers
> Plextor PX-712A, Liteon 1693S 16X Dual Layer
> Pioneer DVR-110D 16X - 4X Dual Layer
> ViewSonic 19" A91f+ CRT
> Micrsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick
>
> Overall Score 3DMark05 Free- 1438 CpuScore-3883
> Overall Score 3DMark2001SE- 12429
>
> "VanShania" > wrote in message
> > The Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 has a bad IDE driver that when installed,
causes
> > the computer to repeatedly reboot after start up. When not installed
> > computer works good. I just finished upgrading from a XP2600 to the A64
> > 3500 and the difference in performance was only about 20-25%(2900 cpu
> > score to 3900 cpuscore on 3500+(used 3dmark 2005 basic)). Anyone
upgrading
> > to anything less than a 4200X2 from a 166(333)fsb XP processor will be
> > disappointed in the performance gain. Especially if you dish out the big
> > bucks for a 4000+. I would say wait until at least the 4600X2,even the
> > 4800X2 to come down to a reasonable price before upgrading. The only
> > people that would appreciate the performance gain in the A64 3200+ to
the
> > A64 4000+ would be computers using a processor that runs on a 133(266)
> > fsb.
> >

> It may be you have v-sync on or Antialiasing? There's quite a few settings
that can bog down a system in 3dmark05.

VanShania
March 24th 06, 10:13 PM
Yes I think what happened was the program loaded different default settings
because of the cpu.