PDA

View Full Version : fps problem

Jake
March 19th 06, 12:59 AM
its the first time this has happened to me but
even when I turn down the resolution in games the FPS stays the same even at
640 x 8000.

Ill try and keep it short.
> > have a nvidia Ti200. while running day of defeat i notice my frames are
> > getting low while in firefights. (below 20)
> > no fun. I try lowering the resolution, no difference!
> > thats odd. set it to 800 x 600 still the same!!!
> > reinstall drivers after getting rid of old with pc driver cleaner. Still
the
> > same.
> > Figure i need a new video card anyway.
> > buy a 7800 GS, put it in today and guess what
> > Same frickin frame rates!!!!!!!
> >
> > someone please help me!!!!

have a 2.4 p4 im overclockin to 2.65
P4P800 mobo
2048 mb of ram pc 3200
400mhz bus speed
nothing running in the background
latest drivers for nvidia although im trying some third party ones now.
Hard drive is maxtor 120 gig 7200 rpm SATA drive

johns
March 19th 06, 01:49 AM
Sounds like the game is running entirely from the hard drive,
and won't cache for some reason. Or, you've got a high
error rate when the game tries to cache. Or, you've got
a "server scumware" running .. possibly several. Or, you
recently upgraded your mobo BIOS, and THAT will do it
every time. In your case, I would back up my working
docs, email, etc ... and totally reinstall the OS from a
cleanly formatted drive.

johns

Jason
March 20th 06, 09:22 AM
Is it with all games or just certain ones in particular? Perhaps check
the drive for errors (chkdsk) and run a defrag. That may help. Do you
still have virtual memory enabled? I know of some people who disable
it when they upgrade to 2 gigs of RAM thinking they don't need it
anymore (you still do).

I don't think that upgrading your mobo's BIOS would have any negative
effect.

Paul
March 20th 06, 01:33 PM
In article <G91Tf.158050$H%[email protected]>, "Jake" > wrote:

> its the first time this has happened to me but
> even when I turn down the resolution in games the FPS stays the same even at
> 640 x 8000.
>
> Ill try and keep it short.
> > > have a nvidia Ti200. while running day of defeat i notice my frames are
> > > getting low while in firefights. (below 20)
> > > no fun. I try lowering the resolution, no difference!
> > > thats odd. set it to 800 x 600 still the same!!!
> > > reinstall drivers after getting rid of old with pc driver cleaner. Still
> the
> > > same.
> > > Figure i need a new video card anyway.
> > > buy a 7800 GS, put it in today and guess what
> > > Same frickin frame rates!!!!!!!
> > >
> > > someone please help me!!!!
>

> have a 2.4 p4 im overclockin to 2.65
> P4P800 mobo
> 2048 mb of ram pc 3200
> 400mhz bus speed
> nothing running in the background
> latest drivers for nvidia although im trying some third party ones now.
> Hard drive is maxtor 120 gig 7200 rpm SATA drive

According to this, I'm guessing BF2 is GPU bound, as increasing
the CPU seems to be doing nothing.

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/athlon_64_geforce_7800_gtx_scaling/page14.asp

That means you should be seeing some kind of frame rate increase,
when you use a new card.

The first thing I would do, is get a copy of Powerstrip from
entechtaiwan.com . Install it, then use the Options menu item
from the icon at the bottom right of your screen. In the upper
right hand area of the Powerstrip Options screen, it will have
an item with:

DMA (direct memory access)
DIME (direct in memory execution)
None

The bad setting would be None, and if it is currently reading
None, you have to fix it. If, when you were installing the
chipset drives, you somehow installed a "PCI" driver for the
video slot, that is one way for "None" to happen. I have done
this on purpose, by selecting the PCI driver option from the
Intel chipset unzipped install directory, but this should not
happen during a normal install.

Before you uninstalled the previous video card, you should
have removed the video card driver. Then, turned off and
unplugged the old video card. Installed new video card,
installed new video card driver. The Intel chipset driver
shouldn't need to be touched, if it was working right when
the old card was installed.

There are other settings, like the AGP aperture. If you had
made a particularly bad selection there, that might affect
performance. But I'd want to check how textures are being
handled first, and one of DMA or DIME is what you want.
You can tune the hardware settings by using some version of
3DMark. Even 3DMark2001SE could be used for system tuning.

Paul

Jake
March 21st 06, 04:19 AM
could you describe how the aperture thing works
i tried all settings but nothing really seemed to change.
"Paul" > wrote in message
> In article <G91Tf.158050$H%[email protected]>, "Jake" >
> wrote:
>
>> its the first time this has happened to me but
>> even when I turn down the resolution in games the FPS stays the same even
>> at
>> 640 x 8000.
>>
>> Ill try and keep it short.
>> the

>> have a 2.4 p4 im overclockin to 2.65
>> P4P800 mobo
>> 2048 mb of ram pc 3200
>> 400mhz bus speed
>> nothing running in the background
>> latest drivers for nvidia although im trying some third party ones now.
>> Hard drive is maxtor 120 gig 7200 rpm SATA drive
>
> According to this, I'm guessing BF2 is GPU bound, as increasing
> the CPU seems to be doing nothing.
>
> http://firingsquad.com/hardware/athlon_64_geforce_7800_gtx_scaling/page14.asp
>
> That means you should be seeing some kind of frame rate increase,
> when you use a new card.
>
> The first thing I would do, is get a copy of Powerstrip from
> entechtaiwan.com . Install it, then use the Options menu item
> from the icon at the bottom right of your screen. In the upper
> right hand area of the Powerstrip Options screen, it will have
> an item with:
>
> DMA (direct memory access)
> DIME (direct in memory execution)
> None
>
> The bad setting would be None, and if it is currently reading
> None, you have to fix it. If, when you were installing the
> chipset drives, you somehow installed a "PCI" driver for the
> video slot, that is one way for "None" to happen. I have done
> this on purpose, by selecting the PCI driver option from the
> Intel chipset unzipped install directory, but this should not
> happen during a normal install.
>
> Before you uninstalled the previous video card, you should
> have removed the video card driver. Then, turned off and
> unplugged the old video card. Installed new video card,
> installed new video card driver. The Intel chipset driver
> shouldn't need to be touched, if it was working right when
> the old card was installed.
>
> There are other settings, like the AGP aperture. If you had
> made a particularly bad selection there, that might affect
> performance. But I'd want to check how textures are being
> handled first, and one of DMA or DIME is what you want.
> You can tune the hardware settings by using some version of
> 3DMark. Even 3DMark2001SE could be used for system tuning.
>
> Paul

Paul
March 21st 06, 05:39 AM
In article <jhKTf.164378$H%[email protected]>, "Jake" > wrote:

> could you describe how the aperture thing works
> i tried all settings but nothing really seemed to change.

There is a reasonable explanation here. The AGP Aperture is
a portion of memory space, allocated to allow the GPU to
extend the total memory at its disposal. Your video card
has a local memory (64MB, 128MB, 256MB etc), and if a game
has more textures than that, they can be stored in a bunch
of smaller areas of system memory. The AGP GART gathers the
chunks of memory together, and makes them look like a block
of memory to the video card. Using DMA or DIME, the GPU can
interact with the piece of system memory. Since system memory
is so much slower than the local graphics memory, having to use
the main memory for textures is something you don't want to
have to do too much.

http://www.rojakpot.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?Lang=0&bogno=32

Some old aperture size tests:
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/3.shtml

Judging by that Tweak3D article, you never really know
whether a given game or benchmark, will have some issue
with the aperture or not. It is something you can play
with, but it doesn't come with any guarantees.

Paul

Jake
March 21st 06, 06:19 AM
nevermind I read the link .