PDA

View Full Version : X2 3800 - XP reinstall?

Dan
March 18th 06, 05:55 PM
Should i reinstall XP Pro after upgrading to a new dual core cpu (currently
have a Winchester 3200)? Or does XP take care of things?

Dan

Bob Knowlden
March 18th 06, 09:32 PM
I've done this exactly once, but XP automatically detected the dual-core CPU
and installed the multiprocessor HAL for it. (This was XP Home Edition, with
SP2 slipstreamed onto it.)

Verify afterwards that two CPUs appear in Device Manager, and/or that you
get two CPU usage plots in the Performance tab of Windows Task Manager
(cntl-alt-del).

"Dan" > wrote in message
> Should i reinstall XP Pro after upgrading to a new dual core cpu
> (currently have a Winchester 3200)? Or does XP take care of things?
>
> Dan

Cal Vanize
March 18th 06, 10:00 PM
Bob Knowlden wrote:

> I've done this exactly once, but XP automatically detected the dual-core CPU
> and installed the multiprocessor HAL for it. (This was XP Home Edition, with
> SP2 slipstreamed onto it.)
>
> Verify afterwards that two CPUs appear in Device Manager, and/or that you
> get two CPU usage plots in the Performance tab of Windows Task Manager
> (cntl-alt-del).

cntl-alt-del or cntl-shft-esc.