PDA

View Full Version : VooDoo 3D cards

GearHead
March 17th 06, 06:46 PM
Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance to
my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?

I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.

(AGP) :-(

Conor
March 17th 06, 07:15 PM
In article >, GearHead says...
> Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance to
> my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?
>
> I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.

They were only PCI anyway. It wasn't a case of only being intended to
improve PCI, AGP didn't exist.

Most onboard 3D solutions can beat a Voodoo 3D.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.

Dirk Dreidoppel
March 17th 06, 08:40 PM
> Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance
> my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?

They were meant to add 3D capabilities to an existing 2D card with no such
capabilities. The Voodoo 1 and 2 at least. Voodoo 3 onward were complete
primary 3D cards. Today there's only one reason hy one might want to add a
Voodoo 2 (or 2 in SLI) to a system: To get native Gilde API support for old
game titles that require it. Yet there are Glide wrappers out that play
Glide games just fine.

Ted F
March 17th 06, 09:33 PM
The VooDoo Rush......

"GearHead" > wrote in message
> Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance
> to my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?
>
> I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.
>
> (AGP) :-(

deimos
March 17th 06, 11:34 PM
Conor wrote:
> In article >, GearHead says...
>> Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance to
>> my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?
>>
>> I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.
>>
> They were only PCI anyway. It wasn't a case of only being intended to
> improve PCI, AGP didn't exist.
>
> Most onboard 3D solutions can beat a Voodoo 3D.

Except for V3's, 4, 5...

The first AGP was the Voodoo Banshee, it combined 2d/3d, whereas
previously you needed to link your existing 2d card with the PCI Voodoo
addin via a clunky VGA passthrough cable.

The Voodoo 3 and Banshee were loosely related, the Banshee for example
was almost the same card but with 1 TMU.

Larry Roberts
March 18th 06, 02:48 AM
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:46:13 -0800, "GearHead" > wrote:

>Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance to
>my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?
>
>I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.
>
>(AGP) :-(

I take it you are referring to the Voodoo 1, or Voodoo 2
cards. They are PCI, and add 3D capabilities to videocards that had no
3D chip, or did. However, unless you play games that support the Glide
API, then the ATI X850XL will perform leaps, and bounds better. Also,
the last official drivers where Win9x/ME only. There are modded
drivers for Win2k/XP, but they are for Glide, or OpenGL only. Not sure
how stable they are as they are all 3rd party supported.
There are some Glide wra`ppers out there that may work with
the games you want to play, and on your card, but I never found one
for my 6600GT to play Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and Red Baron 3D
with.

Larry Roberts
March 18th 06, 02:55 AM

>The Voodoo 3 and Banshee were loosely related, the Banshee for example
>was almost the same card but with 1 TMU.

I thought the Banshee was more related to the Voodoo 2, except
for the 2D capability (they where also in PCI as well as AGP), and the
single TMU.

Dirk Gross
March 18th 06, 05:28 PM
I've used two glide wrappers for RB3D and a 6800 with no problems.
http://dege.freeweb.hu/
http://www.glidos.net/baron.html

Dirk

"Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:46:13 -0800, "GearHead" > wrote:
>
>>Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any performance
>>my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?
>>
>>I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.
>>
>>(AGP) :-(
>>

> I take it you are referring to the Voodoo 1, or Voodoo 2
> cards. They are PCI, and add 3D capabilities to videocards that had no
> 3D chip, or did. However, unless you play games that support the Glide
> API, then the ATI X850XL will perform leaps, and bounds better. Also,
> the last official drivers where Win9x/ME only. There are modded
> drivers for Win2k/XP, but they are for Glide, or OpenGL only. Not sure
> how stable they are as they are all 3rd party supported.
> There are some Glide wra`ppers out there that may work with
> the games you want to play, and on your card, but I never found one
> for my 6600GT to play Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and Red Baron 3D
> with.

First of One
March 19th 06, 04:12 AM
Yep, even MechWarrior 2 3Dfx Edition can be run using the dgVoodoo wrapper.

"Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
> There are some Glide wrappers out there that may work with
> the games you want to play, and on your card, but I never found one
> for my 6600GT to play Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and Red Baron 3D
> with.

First of One
March 19th 06, 04:28 AM
The Voodoo2 card had three separate chips (one pixelFX and two texelFX aka
TMU) manufactured on an old process. The Voodoo3 integrated everything onto
a single 0.25-um die, allowing twice the clock speed. The memory interface
was also doubled to 128-bits. Architecturally the Voodoo2, Banshee and
Voodoo3 were all the same.

BTW, the Voodoo2 has 2D capability. It can be used in a multi-monitor
configuration, using v1.00 beta drivers under Win2K. Well-known limitations
of 16-bit color and 1024x768 maximum resolution still apply.

"Larry Roberts" > wrote in message
>>The Voodoo 3 and Banshee were loosely related, the Banshee for example
>>was almost the same card but with 1 TMU.
>
> I thought the Banshee was more related to the Voodoo 2, except
> for the 2D capability (they where also in PCI as well as AGP), and the
> single TMU.

Ian
April 9th 06, 01:30 AM
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:46:13 -0000, GearHead > wrote:

> Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any
> performance to
> my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?
>
> I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.
>
> (AGP) :-(

Might be fun to loop through a Voodoo2 as you could then get some Glide
stuff to run that you wouldn't otherwise. That's it though. For God's
sake don't attempt to use a Voodoo to "boost" the ATI - it would in fact
create an impossible bottleneck.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0615-0, 08/04/2006
Tested on: 09/04/2006 01:30:27

GinTonix
April 9th 06, 08:33 AM
Ian wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:46:13 -0000, GearHead > wrote:
>
>> Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any
>> performance to
>> my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?
>>
>> I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.
>>
>> (AGP) :-(
>>

> Might be fun to loop through a Voodoo2 as you could then get some Glide
> stuff to run that you wouldn't otherwise. That's it though. For God's
> sake don't attempt to use a Voodoo to "boost" the ATI - it would in
> fact create an impossible bottleneck.

Or you'd be even better off with two V2's installed in SLI. But make
sure you receive the SLI ribbon cable as well when acquiring the cards.

Glide makes it possible to play some (oldish) games using Glide
rendering, which often looks way better (and is faster, too) than
equivalent D3D rendering of the same game and time. See the original
Unreal for example.
--
gt

King Beowulf
April 13th 06, 03:31 AM
GinTonix wrote:
> Ian wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:46:13 -0000, GearHead > wrote:
>>
>>> Do you guys remember the VooDoo 3D cards? Will these add any
>>> performance to
>>> my existing AGP setup, or are they only intended to imporve PCI?
>>>
>>> I'm getting a ATI X850XL soon.
>>>
>>> (AGP) :-(
>>>

>> Might be fun to loop through a Voodoo2 as you could then get some
>> Glide stuff to run that you wouldn't otherwise. That's it though.
>> For God's sake don't attempt to use a Voodoo to "boost" the ATI - it
>> would in fact create an impossible bottleneck.
>
> Or you'd be even better off with two V2's installed in SLI. But make
> sure you receive the SLI ribbon cable as well when acquiring the cards.
>
> Glide makes it possible to play some (oldish) games using Glide
> rendering, which often looks way better (and is faster, too) than
> equivalent D3D rendering of the same game and time. See the original
> Unreal for example.

The Voodoo cards were hot stuff back in the day. But even the
Geforce256 DDR blew past them. I used to have a Voodoo2. Glide was a
sweet API. Unfortunately even the Voodoo5 is way out of date now for
any newer (21st century) card. Even its SLI won't boost speed these
days since everything is written in opengl or D3D

Still fun for some of the old Glide games though, or try this glide to
opengl wrapper:

http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

I use it on Win2k and XP to run the Wing Commander series.