PDA

View Full Version : Windows autoupdating a driver - why?

Lobster
March 17th 06, 09:11 AM
Yesterday I had a need to re-install the drivers for my graphics card
(Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420), which I did following downloading of the
relevant drivers from nvidia.com. No problems.

However, when I booted up this morning, Windows update beeped at me and
told me it wanted to install the following graphics drivers:

"Microsoft Corporation - Video - NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420"
"nVidia driver version 52.16" (No date shown.)

If I go to the relevant place in my Device Manager, I find:

NVIDIA GeForce MX420
Device provider: NVIDIA
Driver date: 10/12/2005
Driver version: 8.1.9.8
Digital signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

So why is Windows Update trying to change the drivers? I don't believe
that MS have a newer driver that the one I'm now running, but it's hard
to be sure when the driver numbers don't match.

Thanks
David

Andrew
March 17th 06, 09:34 AM
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:11:45 GMT, Lobster
> wrote:

>So why is Windows Update trying to change the drivers?

Because you have auto-update turned on. Turn it off and take control
of your machine.

March 17th 06, 11:14 AM
Andrew wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:11:45 GMT, Lobster
> > wrote:
>
> >So why is Windows Update trying to change the drivers?
>
> Because you have auto-update turned on. Turn it off and take control
> of your machine.

Yes, thank you, curiously enough I was aware of that. I *am* in
control of my PC because I have the auto-update functionality set to
warn me when it wants to update something, rather than just to go ahead
and do it. That's exactly why I'm aware what it was trying to change,
and was able to prevent it from happening.

David

J. Clarke
March 17th 06, 02:48 PM
Lobster wrote:

> Yesterday I had a need to re-install the drivers for my graphics card
> (Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420), which I did following downloading of the
> relevant drivers from nvidia.com. No problems.
>
> However, when I booted up this morning, Windows update beeped at me and
> told me it wanted to install the following graphics drivers:
>
> "Microsoft Corporation - Video - NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420"
> "nVidia driver version 52.16" (No date shown.)
>
> If I go to the relevant place in my Device Manager, I find:
>
> NVIDIA GeForce MX420
> Device provider: NVIDIA
> Driver date: 10/12/2005
> Driver version: 8.1.9.8
> Digital signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
>
> So why is Windows Update trying to change the drivers? I don't believe
> that MS have a newer driver that the one I'm now running, but it's hard
> to be sure when the driver numbers don't match.

Uncle Bill Knows Best of course.

As a general rule, do not accept driver updates from Microsoft unless there
is a compelling reason to do so.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Mickey S.
March 17th 06, 07:19 PM
??? Reason????

Autoupdate to "52.xx" reads as:
"Fifty-Two(dot).Something".

Yours: "8.xx.xx" reads as:
"EIGHT(dot)something(dot)something".

The updater reads the version number.

Higher is newer for AutoUpdater.

Microsoft and nVidia should get together and aggree on the coding scheme!

My take: The internal version should be "XX.xx".

"Lobster" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I had a need to re-install the drivers for my graphics card
> (Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420), which I did following downloading of the
> relevant drivers from nvidia.com. No problems.
>
> However, when I booted up this morning, Windows update beeped at me and
> told me it wanted to install the following graphics drivers:
>
> "Microsoft Corporation - Video - NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420"
> "nVidia driver version 52.16" (No date shown.)
>
> If I go to the relevant place in my Device Manager, I find:
>
> NVIDIA GeForce MX420
> Device provider: NVIDIA
> Driver date: 10/12/2005
> Driver version: 8.1.9.8
> Digital signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
>
> So why is Windows Update trying to change the drivers? I don't believe
> that MS have a newer driver that the one I'm now running, but it's hard to
> be sure when the driver numbers don't match.
>
> Thanks
> David

Benjamin Gawert
March 17th 06, 10:18 PM
Andrew schrieb:

>> So why is Windows Update trying to change the drivers?
>
> Because you have auto-update turned on. Turn it off and take control
> of your machine.

Better leave it on but change setting to "do not search for hardware
drivers"...

Benjamin