PDA

View Full Version : eVGA 7900GT manufacturer-overclocked to 550/1580 at Newegg @359 !!


John Lewis
March 9th 06, 07:26 PM
See:-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130282

Supports up to 2560x1600 on both DVI ports ( Dual dual-link ! )

Lifetime warranty !!

Still available as of 10:15 Pacific Time.

Same architecture as 7800GTX/256. Performance at BASE clock speed
(450/1320) identical to base 7800GTX. Power ~ 75%.

Run quick. They are already back-ordered on eVGA's own web-site.
Not that you would ever order one there anyway, price-wise.

John Lewis

Ed Forsythe
March 9th 06, 10:45 PM
<Sigh> :( Looks like an excellent deal especially 2-DVIs and HDTV/S-Video
out. Too bad it's not AGP. Thanks for the poop.

"John Lewis" > wrote in message
...
> See:-
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130282
>
> Supports up to 2560x1600 on both DVI ports ( Dual dual-link ! )
>
> Lifetime warranty !!
>
> Still available as of 10:15 Pacific Time.
>
> Same architecture as 7800GTX/256. Performance at BASE clock speed
> (450/1320) identical to base 7800GTX. Power ~ 75%.
>
> Run quick. They are already back-ordered on eVGA's own web-site.
> Not that you would ever order one there anyway, price-wise.
>
> John Lewis
>
>
>
>
>
>

John Lewis
March 10th 06, 02:59 AM
On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 16:45:11 -0500, "Ed Forsythe"
> wrote:

><Sigh> :( Looks like an excellent deal especially 2-DVIs and HDTV/S-Video
>out. Too bad it's not AGP. Thanks for the poop.
>

Now out of stock @ Newegg. Not surprising....

Seems as if the 7900 series will be excellent "value" for the
computer-games enthusiast. We have probably seen the highest prices
with this first shipment. Except for the gougers on Ebay and shady
vendors in the current shortage, the prices should trend downwards
over the next few months. Going to be difficult for ATi's partners to
match unless ATi hurts their own margins by giving them a price-break
on their much larger GPU silicon.

John Lewis

McGrandpa
March 10th 06, 03:04 AM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
...
> See:-
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130282
>
> Supports up to 2560x1600 on both DVI ports ( Dual dual-link ! )
>
> Lifetime warranty !!
>
> Still available as of 10:15 Pacific Time.
>
> Same architecture as 7800GTX/256. Performance at BASE clock speed
> (450/1320) identical to base 7800GTX. Power ~ 75%.
>
> Run quick. They are already back-ordered on eVGA's own web-site.
> Not that you would ever order one there anyway, price-wise.
>
> John Lewis
>
>
$299 is the cheapest of the GT's they have. $499 is the cheapest GTX they
have :) Yummie!
McG.

MarkJ
March 10th 06, 07:28 AM
Wake me up when there's an AGP version

John Lewis
March 10th 06, 09:51 AM
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 06:28:50 GMT, "MarkJ" >
wrote:

>Wake me up when there's an AGP version
>
>

I doubt if it will ever exist for the 7900. For the 7600, AGP versions
may well become available. The number of gaming 'enthusiasts" who
would shell out the money for a 7900 and are still on AGP are rapidly
dwindling. Anyway, you need one of the latest processors to keep a
7900GT fed, and all of those processors (AMD 939-pin, Intel 775LGA)
have now got inexpensive PCIe motherboards (< $100) available.
So if you have a latest-family processor on a AGP motherboard,
just dump the motherboard. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

John Lewis

NightSky 421
March 10th 06, 02:43 PM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
...
> Seems as if the 7900 series will be excellent "value" for the
> computer-games enthusiast. We have probably seen the highest prices
> with this first shipment. Except for the gougers on Ebay and shady
> vendors in the current shortage, the prices should trend downwards
> over the next few months. Going to be difficult for ATi's partners to
> match unless ATi hurts their own margins by giving them a price-break
> on their much larger GPU silicon.
>
> John Lewis


I think a lot of people in the know are going to sit this out and wait for
the DirectX 10 parts to come out before upgrading. It's not terribly far
away in the scale of things.

First of One
March 11th 06, 06:59 AM
Come to think of it, what tangible features is DX10 supposed to offer
anyway? FP48? Game developers are barely scratching the surface with Shader
Model 3.0. What could they possibly do, graphics-wise, to make a game like
F.E.A.R. look more realistic?

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"NightSky 421" > wrote in message
...
> I think a lot of people in the know are going to sit this out and wait for
> the DirectX 10 parts to come out before upgrading. It's not terribly far
> away in the scale of things.
>

McGrandpa
March 11th 06, 12:47 PM
"First of One" > wrote in message
...
> Come to think of it, what tangible features is DX10 supposed to offer
> anyway? FP48? Game developers are barely scratching the surface with
> Shader Model 3.0. What could they possibly do, graphics-wise, to make a
> game like F.E.A.R. look more realistic?

Higher resolution meshes in the models. But that's the base end stuff, the
building block. At the upper rendering end, I don't know. Softshadows give
an awfully realistic (and sometimes creepy) feel to the whole scene. The
lighting/shadowing *did it* for me in FEAR. It went from ' it's ok,
ho-hum' to 'oh hell!' just that quick.
That's going from 6800GT 256 single card to 7800GTX 256 SLI. When I turned
on Softshadows for the 6800GT, things slowed to molasses in January in game.
Nothing in FEAR slowed down the 7800GTX's though. And the softshadows and
ultra quality lighting do make a huge difference in both quality of the
scene and in performance hit.
We've now got real looking effects of all kinds. fire, smoke, water, rain,
mist, shadowing, lighting. More realistic looking / shaped models would
help.
McG.
>
> --
> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>
> "NightSky 421" > wrote in message
> ...
>> I think a lot of people in the know are going to sit this out and wait
>> for the DirectX 10 parts to come out before upgrading. It's not terribly
>> far away in the scale of things.
>>
>
>

John Lewis
March 11th 06, 06:54 PM
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:47:37 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> wrote:

>
>"First of One" > wrote in message
...
>> Come to think of it, what tangible features is DX10 supposed to offer
>> anyway? FP48? Game developers are barely scratching the surface with
>> Shader Model 3.0. What could they possibly do, graphics-wise, to make a
>> game like F.E.A.R. look more realistic?
>
>Higher resolution meshes in the models. But that's the base end stuff, the
>building block. At the upper rendering end, I don't know. Softshadows give
>an awfully realistic (and sometimes creepy) feel to the whole scene. The
>lighting/shadowing *did it* for me in FEAR. It went from ' it's ok,
>ho-hum' to 'oh hell!' just that quick.
>That's going from 6800GT 256 single card to 7800GTX 256 SLI. When I turned
>on Softshadows for the 6800GT, things slowed to molasses in January in game.
>Nothing in FEAR slowed down the 7800GTX's though. And the softshadows and
>ultra quality lighting do make a huge difference in both quality of the
>scene and in performance hit.
>We've now got real looking effects of all kinds. fire, smoke, water, rain,
>mist, shadowing, lighting. More realistic looking / shaped models would
>help.

.... make FEAR a better game ?? Or give a more realistic (uh..) 'feel'
to Lara's curves when she is in motion ? Preordered the latest
version of Tomb Raider yet ? Gramps, come clean now; you are
amongst friends...

John Lewis

First of One
March 11th 06, 07:01 PM
Higher-order surfaces have been around since DX8. (There's a hacked Truform
patch for Quake II, looks pretty good on the character models.) However, in
modern titles the "dynamic" geometry generation screws with the real-time
shadows, so it cannot be used.

More detailed meshes will just take some time to appear, and it seems to be
purely limited by the sheer horsepower available to today's cards, not
waiting on some new, unsupported feature.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"McGrandpa" > wrote in message
...
> Higher resolution meshes in the models. But that's the base end stuff,
> the building block. At the upper rendering end, I don't know.
> Softshadows give an awfully realistic (and sometimes creepy) feel to the
> whole scene. The lighting/shadowing *did it* for me in FEAR. It went
> from ' it's ok, ho-hum' to 'oh hell!' just that quick.
> That's going from 6800GT 256 single card to 7800GTX 256 SLI. When I
> turned on Softshadows for the 6800GT, things slowed to molasses in January
> in game. Nothing in FEAR slowed down the 7800GTX's though. And the
> softshadows and ultra quality lighting do make a huge difference in both
> quality of the scene and in performance hit.
> We've now got real looking effects of all kinds. fire, smoke, water,
> rain, mist, shadowing, lighting. More realistic looking / shaped models
> would help.
> McG.

McGrandpa
March 12th 06, 05:53 AM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
...
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:47:37 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> > wrote:
>
>>
>>"First of One" > wrote in message
...
>>> Come to think of it, what tangible features is DX10 supposed to offer
>>> anyway? FP48? Game developers are barely scratching the surface with
>>> Shader Model 3.0. What could they possibly do, graphics-wise, to make a
>>> game like F.E.A.R. look more realistic?
>>
>>Higher resolution meshes in the models. But that's the base end stuff,
>>the
>>building block. At the upper rendering end, I don't know. Softshadows
>>give
>>an awfully realistic (and sometimes creepy) feel to the whole scene. The
>>lighting/shadowing *did it* for me in FEAR. It went from ' it's ok,
>>ho-hum' to 'oh hell!' just that quick.
>>That's going from 6800GT 256 single card to 7800GTX 256 SLI. When I
>>turned
>>on Softshadows for the 6800GT, things slowed to molasses in January in
>>game.
>>Nothing in FEAR slowed down the 7800GTX's though. And the softshadows and
>>ultra quality lighting do make a huge difference in both quality of the
>>scene and in performance hit.
>>We've now got real looking effects of all kinds. fire, smoke, water,
>>rain,
>>mist, shadowing, lighting. More realistic looking / shaped models would
>>help.
>
> ... make FEAR a better game ?? Or give a more realistic (uh..) 'feel'
> to Lara's curves when she is in motion ? Preordered the latest
> version of Tomb Raider yet ? Gramps, come clean now; you are
> amongst friends...
>
> John Lewis

Heh! John i've been in alt.games.tombraider since 97. I have not
pre-ordered it yet. Not decided on GameStop or EBGames. Plenty of both
here in the area :)
It's looking good so far.
McG.

McGrandpa
March 12th 06, 06:02 AM
"First of One" > wrote in message
...
> Higher-order surfaces have been around since DX8. (There's a hacked
> Truform patch for Quake II, looks pretty good on the character models.)
> However, in modern titles the "dynamic" geometry generation screws with
> the real-time shadows, so it cannot be used.
>
> More detailed meshes will just take some time to appear, and it seems to
> be purely limited by the sheer horsepower available to today's cards, not
> waiting on some new, unsupported feature.
>
> --
> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>
> "McGrandpa" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Higher resolution meshes in the models. But that's the base end stuff,
>> the building block. At the upper rendering end, I don't know.
>> Softshadows give an awfully realistic (and sometimes creepy) feel to the
>> whole scene. The lighting/shadowing *did it* for me in FEAR. It went
>> from ' it's ok, ho-hum' to 'oh hell!' just that quick.
>> That's going from 6800GT 256 single card to 7800GTX 256 SLI. When I
>> turned on Softshadows for the 6800GT, things slowed to molasses in
>> January in game. Nothing in FEAR slowed down the 7800GTX's though. And
>> the softshadows and ultra quality lighting do make a huge difference in
>> both quality of the scene and in performance hit.
>> We've now got real looking effects of all kinds. fire, smoke, water,
>> rain, mist, shadowing, lighting. More realistic looking / shaped models
>> would help.
>> McG.
>
>

I heard The Guy (an interview vid clip) SAY they could dial Lara Crofts
level of detail up so high the looks make them nervous. I WANT that kinda
detail! Probably none of us have the horsepower to play a game with the
world modelled that high, but to have Laras mesh that high sounds....pretty
darn good to me! When i get Tombraider: Legend installed and running, the
first thing I want to do is two of her signature moves: pull up walkover
(handstand) and Swan Dive! Next, give the Screenshot key a workout :)
THEN: Let's Go Adventuring!
see ya over in a.g.t. John :)
McG.