PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX5500 killed my computer?

PJL
March 8th 06, 03:13 AM
I have a Shuttle SB51G which has been running a Radeon 9200 (128 MB) fine.
Wanted
to upgrade the video card. Bought an eVGA GeForce FX5500 (256 MB). Plugged
it in. Pushed the switch--nothing. Machine was dead. Nothing. Took out
the new, put back the old video card, fired right up. Checked it again,
made sure card seated, etc. Tried to start it again. Nothing. Dead
computer. Tried the card in another machine. Works fine. What gives?
Could this be a power supply issue? I have read on this newsgroup about
folks using this exact card in this exact machine. Frustrated.

Just increased RAM from 520MB to 2GB at the same time--could this be part of
the problem? New RAM seems
to be working fine.

If I can not use this card in this machine, anyone have any suggestions for
an upgrade on the Radeon that WILL work?

Thanks in advance.

deimos
March 8th 06, 05:33 AM
PJL wrote:
> I have a Shuttle SB51G which has been running a Radeon 9200 (128 MB) fine.
> Wanted
> to upgrade the video card. Bought an eVGA GeForce FX5500 (256 MB). Plugged
> it in. Pushed the switch--nothing. Machine was dead. Nothing. Took out
> the new, put back the old video card, fired right up. Checked it again,
> made sure card seated, etc. Tried to start it again. Nothing. Dead
> computer. Tried the card in another machine. Works fine. What gives?
> Could this be a power supply issue? I have read on this newsgroup about
> folks using this exact card in this exact machine. Frustrated.
>
> Just increased RAM from 520MB to 2GB at the same time--could this be part of
> the problem? New RAM seems
> to be working fine.
>
> If I can not use this card in this machine, anyone have any suggestions for
> an upgrade on the Radeon that WILL work?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The 5500 shouldn't be using _THAT_ much power. I've successfully run a
5600 and 5700 in a very old P2-300 system with only a 220w PSU (peaks at
180 nominal voltage). I'm suspecting something to do with your
motherboard's AGP voltage or it not being exactly compatible with the
card timings.

Sharanga Dayananda
March 8th 06, 09:30 PM
Perhaps you've blown the fuse in the Power Supply?

"PJL" <harvard75atdiespammerkomkastdottnet> wrote in message
>I have a Shuttle SB51G which has been running a Radeon 9200 (128 MB) fine.
> Wanted
> to upgrade the video card. Bought an eVGA GeForce FX5500 (256 MB).
> Plugged
> it in. Pushed the switch--nothing. Machine was dead. Nothing. Took out
> the new, put back the old video card, fired right up. Checked it again,
> made sure card seated, etc. Tried to start it again. Nothing. Dead
> computer. Tried the card in another machine. Works fine. What gives?
> Could this be a power supply issue? I have read on this newsgroup about
> folks using this exact card in this exact machine. Frustrated.
>
> Just increased RAM from 520MB to 2GB at the same time--could this be part
> of
> the problem? New RAM seems
> to be working fine.
>
> If I can not use this card in this machine, anyone have any suggestions
> for
> an upgrade on the Radeon that WILL work?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Eddie G
March 9th 06, 02:21 PM
"Sharanga Dayananda" > wrote in message
> Perhaps you've blown the fuse in the Power Supply?

Re-read the OP. He says he put back the old card and his system fired up
fine.