PDA

View Full Version : GA 7N400 Pro v2 - 2 systems - one retarded

Cat-O-9-Tales
March 7th 06, 02:29 AM
Can anyone figure this out ?

I have 2 systems that are identical.
GA 7N400 Pro v2 (same BIOS settings & switch settings)
AMD +3200, Barton 440mhz (not overclocked)
Same heatsink & fan
(4) sticks of Crucial 512mb PC3200
(2) 80 GB HDDs (Maxtor)
Windows 2000 Pro (SP4 & updated 3/4/06)
Same programs
Same optical drives
Same cases and PSUs
Both on same monitor, keyboard & mouse
One is noticably faster than the other.

?

Paul

Slick the Original
March 7th 06, 03:04 AM
"Cat-O-9-Tales" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Can anyone figure this out ?
>
> I have 2 systems that are identical.
> GA 7N400 Pro v2 (same BIOS settings & switch settings)
> AMD +3200, Barton 440mhz (not overclocked)
> Same heatsink & fan
> (4) sticks of Crucial 512mb PC3200
> (2) 80 GB HDDs (Maxtor)
> Windows 2000 Pro (SP4 & updated 3/4/06)
> Same programs
> Same optical drives
> Same cases and PSUs
> Both on same monitor, keyboard & mouse
> One is noticably faster than the other.
>
> ?
>
> Paul

Swap the hard drives over and see if it's still retarded?

SlicK

jpsga
March 7th 06, 02:59 PM
"Cat-O-9-Tales" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Can anyone figure this out ?
>
> I have 2 systems that are identical.
> GA 7N400 Pro v2 (same BIOS settings & switch settings)
> AMD +3200, Barton 440mhz (not overclocked)
> Same heatsink & fan
> (4) sticks of Crucial 512mb PC3200
> (2) 80 GB HDDs (Maxtor)
> Windows 2000 Pro (SP4 & updated 3/4/06)
> Same programs
> Same optical drives
> Same cases and PSUs
> Both on same monitor, keyboard & mouse
> One is noticably faster than the other.
>
> ?
>
> Paul

Isn't that interesting!

Before tinkering around to much, consider run PCMark05 on both machines.
This will allow comparson by sub system . You can compare the:
* System board and installed system software
* CPU
* Memory
* Graphics
* HDD

This should get you a better focus on where to look.

BTW
The L0 has a smaller buffer. We found the sustained data rate, burst speed
and access time to be the same. Both drives have been high density work
horses.

Jim

Slick the Original
March 7th 06, 03:17 PM
"jpsga" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Cat-O-9-Tales" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Can anyone figure this out ?
>>
>> I have 2 systems that are identical.
>> GA 7N400 Pro v2 (same BIOS settings & switch settings)
>> AMD +3200, Barton 440mhz (not overclocked)
>> Same heatsink & fan
>> (4) sticks of Crucial 512mb PC3200
>> (2) 80 GB HDDs (Maxtor)
>> Windows 2000 Pro (SP4 & updated 3/4/06)
>> Same programs
>> Same optical drives
>> Same cases and PSUs
>> Both on same monitor, keyboard & mouse
>> One is noticably faster than the other.
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Isn't that interesting!
>
> Before tinkering around to much, consider run PCMark05 on both machines.
> This will allow comparson by sub system . You can compare the:
> * System board and installed system software
> * CPU
> * Memory
> * Graphics
> * HDD
>
> This should get you a better focus on where to look.
>
> BTW
> The L0 has a smaller buffer. We found the sustained data rate, burst speed
> and access time to be the same. Both drives have been high density work
> horses.
>
> Jim

Or try Everest or even Sandra
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=3&lang=en

Cat-0-9-tales
March 8th 06, 12:39 AM
JPS & Slick:

Had to switch systems, the faster system will not thread to news groups.
Go figure.

Thanks for the advice.
I'll try the tests and see what gives.
Thought maybe it might be the Starview monitor, kb, mouse switch.
These two monsters have never been separated since birth and the switch is
the only umbilical cord.
(Curiously, the mouse & keyboard behave differently on each of the systems)
The slower one will not let the mouse speed motion in Explorer until I hit
"Start"
The keyboard repeat rate is slower on the faster machine even with the
setting on fast.
Who knows.

Thanks again for your advice.

Paul

"jpsga" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Cat-O-9-Tales" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Can anyone figure this out ?
> >
> > I have 2 systems that are identical.
> > GA 7N400 Pro v2 (same BIOS settings & switch settings)
> > AMD +3200, Barton 440mhz (not overclocked)
> > Same heatsink & fan
> > (4) sticks of Crucial 512mb PC3200
> > (2) 80 GB HDDs (Maxtor)
> > Windows 2000 Pro (SP4 & updated 3/4/06)
> > Same programs
> > Same optical drives
> > Same cases and PSUs
> > Both on same monitor, keyboard & mouse
> > One is noticably faster than the other.
> >
> > ?
> >
> > Paul
> >

> Isn't that interesting!
>
> Before tinkering around to much, consider run PCMark05 on both machines.
> This will allow comparson by sub system . You can compare the:
> * System board and installed system software
> * CPU
> * Memory
> * Graphics
> * HDD
>
> This should get you a better focus on where to look.
>
> BTW
> The L0 has a smaller buffer. We found the sustained data rate, burst speed
> and access time to be the same. Both drives have been high density work
> horses.
>
> Jim

Davy
March 10th 06, 02:34 AM
Don't forget there are regulators on the mobo, meaning that a couple
of hundred mV (milli-volt) on the graphic or RAMs/PU etc could make
all the difference.

Wondered if all the voltages in bios was the same, as you know when
overclocking etc you normally adjust in 0.1V steps.

Davy