PDA

View Full Version : LE and GT

Eddie G
February 27th 06, 08:42 PM
I bought the 256mb 6600LE for around $100. The GT models are about $70
more. What is the difference, and is it worth it? I have a P$ 1.7ghz
with 512mb ram. I bought the card so I can play Ovlivion and my mobo
is AGP.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

deimos
February 27th 06, 09:02 PM
Eddie G wrote:
> I bought the 256mb 6600LE for around $100. The GT models are about $70
> more. What is the difference, and is it worth it? I have a P$ 1.7ghz
> with 512mb ram. I bought the card so I can play Ovlivion and my mobo
> is AGP.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Eddie G

LE's are cut down bottom of the bin parts, and usually are crappy
overclockers or use substandard components (i.e. cheap brand generic DDR
instead of low latency DDR3). Most of the LE cores did not successfully
meet the bin requirements for a normal or higher end GPU of it's type
(6600GT, 6600, less pipelines, etc) or could not run at certain clock
speeds.

The 256MB on the card makes NO DIFFERENCE at all, especially since the
lower clock speeds and memory more than take any advantage from it away.

The 6600GT is currently considered the best "entry-level" card of the
GF6 series since it gives you greater than Radeon 9800 Pro performance
levels and is a very good DX9 card. Whereas lower end models don't even
tend to excel beyond last generation cards (a 6200 tends to be no better
than a FX5700 most of the time).

For ES4:Oblivion, you will require a fairly strong CPU to process all
the geometry and send it to the card as well as negotiate bus traffic.
The 1.7 will likely underperform here.

The 6600LE will likely meet the core requirements for the game, but will
be far more sluggish than a full 6600GT with 128/256MB GDDR3. The GF6
is actually very fast and efficient with DX9 shaders, however the slower
6600LE core and lack of bandwidth will choke your card.

Eddie G
February 27th 06, 10:43 PM
"deimos" > wrote in message
> Eddie G wrote:
>> I bought the 256mb 6600LE for around $100. The GT models are about $70
>> more. What is the difference, and is it worth it? I have a P$ 1.7ghz
>> with 512mb ram. I bought the card so I can play Ovlivion and my mobo
>> is AGP.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Eddie G
>>

> LE's are cut down bottom of the bin parts, and usually are crappy
> overclockers or use substandard components (i.e. cheap brand generic DDR
> instead of low latency DDR3). Most of the LE cores did not successfully
> meet the bin requirements for a normal or higher end GPU of it's type
> (6600GT, 6600, less pipelines, etc) or could not run at certain clock
> speeds.
>
> The 256MB on the card makes NO DIFFERENCE at all, especially since the
> lower clock speeds and memory more than take any advantage from it away.
>
> The 6600GT is currently considered the best "entry-level" card of the GF6
> series since it gives you greater than Radeon 9800 Pro performance levels
> and is a very good DX9 card. Whereas lower end models don't even tend to
> excel beyond last generation cards (a 6200 tends to be no better than a
> FX5700 most of the time).
>
> For ES4:Oblivion, you will require a fairly strong CPU to process all the
> geometry and send it to the card as well as negotiate bus traffic. The 1.7
> will likely underperform here.
>
> The 6600LE will likely meet the core requirements for the game, but will
> be far more sluggish than a full 6600GT with 128/256MB GDDR3. The GF6 is
> actually very fast and efficient with DX9 shaders, however the slower
> 6600LE core and lack of bandwidth will choke your card.

I forgot to mention something...I have AGP and was unable to find a 256mb GT
with agp which is why I went with the LE.

DaveL
February 28th 06, 02:53 AM
"Eddie G" > wrote in message
> I forgot to mention something...I have AGP and was unable to find a 256mb
> GT with agp which is why I went with the LE.

What? Eddie, this is not something you should have shared with us. It's
making you look very uninformed. The 6600LE is nothing more than a
defective 6600 chip that Nvidia chopped down into a 6200. Then they (card
makers) tacked on 256MB of memory to sucker in the unsuspecting.

DaveL

Eddie G
February 28th 06, 03:07 AM
"DaveL" <Top Poster Extraordinaire> wrote in message
> "Eddie G" > wrote in message
>> I forgot to mention something...I have AGP and was unable to find a 256mb
>> GT with agp which is why I went with the LE.
>
> What? Eddie, this is not something you should have shared with us. It's
> making you look very uninformed. The 6600LE is nothing more than a
> defective 6600 chip that Nvidia chopped down into a 6200. Then they (card
> makers) tacked on 256MB of memory to sucker in the unsuspecting.
>
> DaveL

I am, or was, uninformed. I did a search on "6600 agp 256mg" and found the
6600LE for $100, so I bought it. I really don't want to spend a lot of
money right now if I don't have to.

DaveL
February 28th 06, 03:28 AM
You might be able to use Rivatuner to maybe unlock another 4 pipes and clock
up the core and memory some. Might get you closer to 6600 speeds. I don't
know if it will work.

DaveL

"Eddie G" > wrote in message
. ..

> "DaveL" <Top Poster Extraordinaire> wrote in message
>> "Eddie G" > wrote in message
>>> I forgot to mention something...I have AGP and was unable to find a
>>> 256mb GT with agp which is why I went with the LE.
>>
>> What? Eddie, this is not something you should have shared with us. It's
>> making you look very uninformed. The 6600LE is nothing more than a
>> defective 6600 chip that Nvidia chopped down into a 6200. Then they
>> (card makers) tacked on 256MB of memory to sucker in the unsuspecting.
>>
>> DaveL
>
> I am, or was, uninformed. I did a search on "6600 agp 256mg" and found
> the 6600LE for $100, so I bought it. I really don't want to spend a lot
> of money right now if I don't have to.

Eddie G
February 28th 06, 03:39 AM
"DaveL" <Top Poster Extraordinaire> wrote in message
> You might be able to use Rivatuner to maybe unlock another 4 pipes and
> clock up the core and memory some. Might get you closer to 6600 speeds.
> I don't know if it will work.
>
> DaveL

That won't hurt anything, will it?

Victor Hall
February 28th 06, 08:45 PM
"Eddie G" > wrote in message
. ..

> "DaveL" <Top Poster Extraordinaire> wrote in message
>> You might be able to use Rivatuner to maybe unlock another 4 pipes and
>> clock up the core and memory some. Might get you closer to 6600 speeds.
>> I don't know if it will work.
>>
>> DaveL
>
> That won't hurt anything, will it?
No go ahead and crank it upppp!!!!! :)

Gil
February 28th 06, 09:16 PM
I got a 6600GT for $150 shipped - that was 2 weeks ago. The 256MB isn't
going to do anything for you. Forget about the video RAM and get a GT
with 128MB. You'll never look back....

Mlidk
March 1st 06, 03:51 PM
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:02:39 -0600, deimos >
wrote:

>Eddie G wrote:
>> I bought the 256mb 6600LE for around $100. The GT models are about $70
>> more. What is the difference, and is it worth it? I have a P$ 1.7ghz
>> with 512mb ram. I bought the card so I can play Ovlivion and my mobo
>> is AGP.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Eddie G
>>

>LE's are cut down bottom of the bin parts, and usually are crappy
>overclockers or use substandard components (i.e. cheap brand generic DDR
>instead of low latency DDR3). Most of the LE cores did not successfully
>meet the bin requirements for a normal or higher end GPU of it's type
>(6600GT, 6600, less pipelines, etc) or could not run at certain clock
>speeds.
>
>The 256MB on the card makes NO DIFFERENCE at all, especially since the
>lower clock speeds and memory more than take any advantage from it away.
>
>The 6600GT is currently considered the best "entry-level" card of the
>GF6 series since it gives you greater than Radeon 9800 Pro performance
>levels and is a very good DX9 card. Whereas lower end models don't even
>tend to excel beyond last generation cards (a 6200 tends to be no better
>than a FX5700 most of the time).
>
>For ES4:Oblivion, you will require a fairly strong CPU to process all
>the geometry and send it to the card as well as negotiate bus traffic.
>The 1.7 will likely underperform here.
>
>The 6600LE will likely meet the core requirements for the game, but will
>be far more sluggish than a full 6600GT with 128/256MB GDDR3. The GF6
>is actually very fast and efficient with DX9 shaders, however the slower
>6600LE core and lack of bandwidth will choke your card.

I hope the OP won't mind me butting into this thread, but you seem to
know what your talking about.
I have an Athlon 3200+ on an Abit nvidia 2 mainboard and an ASUS FX
5900 card.
My questions are -
Would that be enought to adequately drive a 6600GT?
Would I notice much difference in performance over the 5900?
Would a 6800 GT be over the top for this processor/board?

Thanks in advance for the benefit of your opinion.

Larry Roberts
March 1st 06, 04:40 PM

>I hope the OP won't mind me butting into this thread, but you seem to
>know what your talking about.
>I have an Athlon 3200+ on an Abit nvidia 2 mainboard and an ASUS FX
>5900 card.
>My questions are -
>Would that be enought to adequately drive a 6600GT?
>Would I notice much difference in performance over the 5900?
>Would a 6800 GT be over the top for this processor/board?
>
>Thanks in advance for the benefit of your opinion.

I have an AhlonXP 3000+ with 1GB DDR400. It runs great for me.
Here is benchmarks done on AGP cards last summer. You can see where
your card, and the 6600GT rank.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/

Mlidk
March 1st 06, 05:04 PM
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:40:21 -0600, Larry Roberts >
wrote:

>>I hope the OP won't mind me butting into this thread, but you seem to
>>know what your talking about.
>>I have an Athlon 3200+ on an Abit nvidia 2 mainboard and an ASUS FX
>>5900 card.
>>My questions are -
>>Would that be enought to adequately drive a 6600GT?
>>Would I notice much difference in performance over the 5900?
>>Would a 6800 GT be over the top for this processor/board?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for the benefit of your opinion.
>

> I have an AhlonXP 3000+ with 1GB DDR400. It runs great for me.
>Here is benchmarks done on AGP cards last summer. You can see where
>your card, and the 6600GT rank.
>http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/

Thank you, that was useful.
It seems that my venerable 5900 is still quite good. I might keep it
until I upgrade the whole kit in a year or two and then go for the
PCI-E version of the 7800, which by then should be at a more
reasonable price.

Eddie G
March 1st 06, 05:24 PM
In a year or 2 the 7800 will be the outdated card and the one you will
want then will STILL be around $500.
<g>

Mlidk
March 1st 06, 06:26 PM
On 1 Mar 2006 08:24:56 -0800, "Eddie G" > wrote:

>In a year or 2 the 7800 will be the outdated card and the one you will
>want then will STILL be around $500.
><g>

No, I don't shred myself on the bleeding edge of technology. I aim for
the best option just below. Thus, unless the roll-out of new chips
accelerate, I suspect the 7800 will be around the 100-150 mark in a
year or so.