PDA

View Full Version : gigabyte p4 chipset fan not spinning ?

February 24th 06, 11:10 AM
I recently opened up my PC to try and identify some new buzzing noises
I was hearing.
Upon doing so, I noticed that my chipset fan (the one with "Gigabyte P4
Titan" on it) was not spinning ??
Kinda freaked me out a bit - not sure how long this has been happening,
if its new, I suspect my PC might start to overheat at some stage ??
Has anyone seen this ? Can it be fixed ? From memory this was already
on the board at the time.
MB: 8KNXP

Thanks

Bob Davis
February 24th 06, 04:04 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

>I recently opened up my PC to try and identify some new buzzing noises
> I was hearing.
> Upon doing so, I noticed that my chipset fan (the one with "Gigabyte P4
> Titan" on it) was not spinning ??
> Kinda freaked me out a bit - not sure how long this has been happening,
> if its new, I suspect my PC might start to overheat at some stage ??
> Has anyone seen this ? Can it be fixed ? From memory this was already
> on the board at the time.
> MB: 8KNXP

That's common because the fans are a cheap sleeve-bearing construction. My
original started buzzing when first started cold for about 30 sec., then
would become quiet. These are 10x40mm fans, which aren't that easy to find,
but I did find some ball-bearing replacements on Ebay and replaced the
culprit. Make the sure the connector matches, or you can splice your old
one to the new fan. Mine's been fine for a year now. The installation is
easy, only four screws holding the fan to the HS and the connector.

Some people simply remove the fan and replace the HS with a Zalman or other
aftermarket unit with no fan. This works, but you must remove the mobo from
the case to install them--and that is a hassle that might invite an accident
of some sort. If you have a large replacement CPU fan, like the Zalman
7000, I've heard they will provide enough circulation to cool the chipset HS
if you remove the stock fan. It might even work fine with a stock CPU fan
if you have good case ventilation and don't overclock. Most mobos don't
have chipset fans, so in normal operation the HS may suffice. You might try
it by feeling the HS without the fan, and if it isn't overly warm you should
be okay. Run it with the case closed to insure normal ventilation, run some
stressful programs to heat things up, then check it.

Udo Kammer
February 24th 06, 07:34 PM
On 24 Feb 2006 02:10:44 -0800, wrote:

>Has anyone seen this ? Can it be fixed ? From memory this was already
>on the board at the time.
>MB: 8KNXP

For my GA-8IK1100 Rev 2.0 I got new chipset fan from Gigabyte.

February 25th 06, 11:21 AM
thanks guys, but after doing more research, noticed some say its not
even that necessary - and since I dont even use it, think I might just
let it be.
Thanks for the input - i kinda panicked :)

Davy
February 26th 06, 09:34 PM
The little fan on the Northbridge in my GA 7VA XP kept stopping was so
sick of stripping it down to apply a wee drop of engine oil. I got on
to Gigabyte, not only did they send me a replacement - they sent me 3
free of charge, the mobo was out of warranty....!

Don't know how long mine had been stopped for, now I check on a
regular basis.

As mentioned previously they are cheap and nasty, just a brass bearing
at the end, a steel shaft passing through a peice of plastic, guess
the problem is the heat and dust, I thought of using a passive type
myself.

Davy