PDA

View Full Version : Re: issues with installing graphics card..

Jared Richardson
February 22nd 06, 07:30 PM
I don't understand the issue. The error message seems clear, but I've seen
it before. :)

The video driver has to be compiled for the kernel version you are running.
You are running a kernel revision that NVidia doesn't have on their web site
for download, so it has to be compiled locally.

The first issue you run into is that you are running gcc 3.3 and your kernel
was compiled w/3.4 I don't know if that will cause problems or not, but I'd
upgrade gcc to match.

The second issue, and the issue that's stopping you, is that you don't have
the kernel sources installed on your machine in a place the installer can
find them. I've copied up (and reformatted) the critical parts of your error
message:

> ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running
> kernel.
>
> Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
> kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux
> systems,
> for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' RPM installed.
> If you
> know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify
> the
> kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line
> option.

You can either
1) run "rpm --install kernel-source" (I'm not on RH at the moment, so
that syntax might not be perfect)
or
2) run the installer with the option --kernel-source-path and point the
installer at your already installed source.

Make sense?

Jared
http://jaredrichardson.net