PDA

View Full Version : 24 pin power supplies, stability issues?

Don Burnette
February 22nd 06, 01:00 AM
I just recently assembled a new Athlon dual core system .
Athlon XP4400+ dual core cpu
MSI K8N Neo4 Plat Nforce4 mb
Saphire Radeon X850XT PCIe video card.
2gb of Corsair LL matched ( 2 ea 1gb) ddr ram
2 ea 250 gb WD Sata Hard drives

I have not overclocked the system yet, all running at default settings. I
did up my memory voltage slighty to see if that would help, it has not. I
also upped my vcore slightly.

I am having some stability issues. About once or twice a day, my machine
will just lock up. I have to press the power switch and hold it in, to get
the machine to shut down, then reboot. It seems to usually happen when I am
browsing the internet or reading newsgroups. Has not happened while playing
a game yet, but, I don't game but about a couple hours a week.

It did it this evening when I booted it after getting home, then after
shutting down and rebooting, it went through a checkdisk and corrected some
errors. It did it last weekend, and would not boot, said it was corrupt,
and I ended up having to do a repair install of XP Pro.

Heat is not an issue, my system temp is around 28c, cpu temp at idle is 32c,
under load the highest I have seen is 40c.

I am baffled by what is happening. I did a complete new clean install of XP
Pro SP2, and have all updates.

I am using an Antec True Power 530 watt power supply, but it is the 20 pin
( plus 4 ) connector, and the power connector on the motherboard is the
newer 24 pin connector ( plus 4). Someone posted here recently that there
might be some stability issues when using the 20 pin in the 24 pin
connector? I know MSI 's manual says it should be fine.

I looked briefly at Newegg, and did not see any 24 pin connector power
supplies, at least under the Antec name, or perhaps I just missed it? All I
saw showed as 20 pin ( plus4) , the plus4 meaning I presume the other small
4 pin connector that gets plugged into the mb as well.

Would appreciate any advice, I am wondering if going with a new power
connector that has the 24 pin connector to match the motherboard might solve
the problem. I see nothing in XP's event viewer either that gives a hint of
the problem.

Also, looking at my voltages using Speedfan, I noticed my 3.3 volt rail is
showing 3.1 volts, wonder if that might have something to do with it? I
believe this power supply has an adjustment where I could adjust the 3.3
volt setting.

Thanks for any advice,

--
Don Burnette

Paul
February 22nd 06, 01:56 AM
In article >, "Don Burnette"
> wrote:

> I just recently assembled a new Athlon dual core system .
> Athlon XP4400+ dual core cpu
> MSI K8N Neo4 Plat Nforce4 mb
> Saphire Radeon X850XT PCIe video card.
> 2gb of Corsair LL matched ( 2 ea 1gb) ddr ram
> 2 ea 250 gb WD Sata Hard drives
>
> I have not overclocked the system yet, all running at default settings. I
> did up my memory voltage slighty to see if that would help, it has not. I
> also upped my vcore slightly.
>
> I am having some stability issues. About once or twice a day, my machine
> will just lock up. I have to press the power switch and hold it in, to get
> the machine to shut down, then reboot. It seems to usually happen when I am
> browsing the internet or reading newsgroups. Has not happened while playing
> a game yet, but, I don't game but about a couple hours a week.
>
> It did it this evening when I booted it after getting home, then after
> shutting down and rebooting, it went through a checkdisk and corrected some
> errors. It did it last weekend, and would not boot, said it was corrupt,
> and I ended up having to do a repair install of XP Pro.
>
> Heat is not an issue, my system temp is around 28c, cpu temp at idle is 32c,
> under load the highest I have seen is 40c.
>
> I am baffled by what is happening. I did a complete new clean install of XP
> Pro SP2, and have all updates.
>
> I am using an Antec True Power 530 watt power supply, but it is the 20 pin
> ( plus 4 ) connector, and the power connector on the motherboard is the
> newer 24 pin connector ( plus 4). Someone posted here recently that there
> might be some stability issues when using the 20 pin in the 24 pin
> connector? I know MSI 's manual says it should be fine.
>
> I looked briefly at Newegg, and did not see any 24 pin connector power
> supplies, at least under the Antec name, or perhaps I just missed it? All I
> saw showed as 20 pin ( plus4) , the plus4 meaning I presume the other small
> 4 pin connector that gets plugged into the mb as well.
>
> Would appreciate any advice, I am wondering if going with a new power
> connector that has the 24 pin connector to match the motherboard might solve
> the problem. I see nothing in XP's event viewer either that gives a hint of
> the problem.
>
> Also, looking at my voltages using Speedfan, I noticed my 3.3 volt rail is
> showing 3.1 volts, wonder if that might have something to do with it? I
> believe this power supply has an adjustment where I could adjust the 3.3
> volt setting.
>

> Thanks for any advice,

The only freeze issue I've heard of, is the issue with the 8.35.2.3
driver for a Marvell LAN chip. And I don't know if that bug would
apply to your Marvell chip or not. The 8.35.2.3 driver was
picked up via Windows Update for most people, and it causes
freezes. Using either an older driver, or a newer driver, should
fix it.

I didn't know Antec made a 530 watt supply. Do you have a URL
for the product ? If you were using an Antec TrueControl, you
should have the adjustment panel installed. I believe, on
a TrueControl, if the panel is missing, all voltages will be
on the low side. The True Power is not user adjustable and should
not suffer from the same problem (I believe it has a feedback wire
on the three main outputs, so it should have pretty tight
voltage control at the motherboard).

There are some power supplies, where the 24 pin power connector
comes apart in two pieces. That allows the power supply to
be plugged into a 20 pin motherboard (with extra 4 pin section
removed), or when the 20 pin and 4 pin parts are snapped together,
you can plug the whole 24 pins into a 24 pin motherboard. That
is completely separate from the ATX12V 2x2 connector.

Are you using the Nvidia IDE driver ? Try the default Microsoft
IDE driver instead.

You could get a copy of memtest86+ and test the memory.
A second test is to try Prime95 "torture test option", which
should run error free. (As a 100% CPU load, that will help test
that the supply is strong enough.) A third test, would be to
run some version of 3DMark. That will load the power supply, and
also test that the video card is stable. I used to leave a demo
loop running overnight, in 3DMark, as a video stability test, and
see if it was still running the next morning. You can run these
tests, if you manage to cure the freezing problem, and you
want to know whether the system is really solid or not.

Paul

dino
February 22nd 06, 03:08 AM
there alot of BIOS options also..
Cell Menu
disable Spread spectrum
disable cool'n' quiet
disable the auto overclock feature
hold "shift"..press and hold F2..press and hold Alt..press and hold F3..
you should see extra menu options pop up..disable NV/ATI Speed up
...I just removed not 2 hours ago my Corsair TwinX PC3200C2 PT and replaced
it with OCZ PC4000 EL gold...2x1gig
even running at stock speed it was more stable...have now attained 240x11
OC.I found that if I ran the voltage higher on the corsair it wasn't too
bad.
Have heard of people having similar issues with it in other forums also

Don Burnette
February 22nd 06, 04:27 AM
dino wrote:
> there alot of BIOS options also..
> Cell Menu
> disable Spread spectrum
> disable cool'n' quiet
> disable the auto overclock feature
> hold "shift"..press and hold F2..press and hold Alt..press and hold
> F3.. you should see extra menu options pop up..disable NV/ATI Speed up
> ..I just removed not 2 hours ago my Corsair TwinX PC3200C2 PT and
> replaced it with OCZ PC4000 EL gold...2x1gig
> even running at stock speed it was more stable...have now attained
> 240x11 OC.I found that if I ran the voltage higher on the corsair it
> wasn't too bad.
> Have heard of people having similar issues with it in other forums
> also

Cool'n'quiet and dynamic overclocking were already disabled.
CPU spread spectrum was enabled, so I have disabled it, will see if that
helps.

I tried holding shift, press and hold F2, pres and hold Alt, then F3. I did
not see any extra menu options, this is from within the cell menu right?
And, holding shift the whole time?

Thanks, hopefully disabling the spread spectrum might help.

--
Don Burnette

dino
February 22nd 06, 05:01 AM
I know that works on the K8N Neo2,Neo4-F...sometimes it takes a try or 2 to
get..when you finish you should have all 4 keys down.

Here is another place to get excellent answers

http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Have built 5 systems based on the K8N Neo4-f..all have it..plus I disabled
that option on my K8n Neo2-f..I myself am still considering the Platinum or
the Asus Deluxe-Sli and a new vid card..
MSI K8N Neo2-F 939
AMD A64-3700 San Diego(240x11)
OCZ PC4000-2048El Gold
ATI X800XL (442 gpu-1100 mem)
etc...

Don Burnette
February 22nd 06, 05:35 AM
Ah, I was not keeping the first keys held down while pressing the subsequent
keys...

I will try it again, but will wait a couple of days and see if disabling
spread spectrum makes any difference. Maybe I will get lucky and that will
solve it..

I would like to start overclocking this system, but want to wait till it is
stable of course first.

I went from a K8N Neo2 Platinum board, with an XP64 3500+, which was rock
solid, to this K8N Neo4 Plat, X2 4400+ system.

Thanks for the tips!

Don

dino wrote:
> I know that works on the K8N Neo2,Neo4-F...sometimes it takes a try
> or 2 to get..when you finish you should have all 4 keys down.
>
> Here is another place to get excellent answers
>
> http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12
>
> Have built 5 systems based on the K8N Neo4-f..all have it..plus I
> disabled that option on my K8n Neo2-f..I myself am still considering
> the Platinum or the Asus Deluxe-Sli and a new vid card..
> MSI K8N Neo2-F 939
> AMD A64-3700 San Diego(240x11)
> OCZ PC4000-2048El Gold
> ATI X800XL (442 gpu-1100 mem)
> etc...

don
February 24th 06, 03:19 AM
Sounds like HD problem to me.

Hav you checked event viewer to see what events have taken place at the time
of shutdown or lockup?

"Don Burnette" > wrote in message
> I just recently assembled a new Athlon dual core system .
> Athlon XP4400+ dual core cpu
> MSI K8N Neo4 Plat Nforce4 mb
> Saphire Radeon X850XT PCIe video card.
> 2gb of Corsair LL matched ( 2 ea 1gb) ddr ram
> 2 ea 250 gb WD Sata Hard drives
>
> I have not overclocked the system yet, all running at default settings. I
> did up my memory voltage slighty to see if that would help, it has not. I
> also upped my vcore slightly.
>
> I am having some stability issues. About once or twice a day, my machine
> will just lock up. I have to press the power switch and hold it in, to get
> the machine to shut down, then reboot. It seems to usually happen when I
am
> browsing the internet or reading newsgroups. Has not happened while
playing
> a game yet, but, I don't game but about a couple hours a week.
>
> It did it this evening when I booted it after getting home, then after
> shutting down and rebooting, it went through a checkdisk and corrected
some
> errors. It did it last weekend, and would not boot, said it was corrupt,
> and I ended up having to do a repair install of XP Pro.
>
> Heat is not an issue, my system temp is around 28c, cpu temp at idle is
32c,
> under load the highest I have seen is 40c.
>
> I am baffled by what is happening. I did a complete new clean install of
XP
> Pro SP2, and have all updates.
>
> I am using an Antec True Power 530 watt power supply, but it is the 20 pin
> ( plus 4 ) connector, and the power connector on the motherboard is the
> newer 24 pin connector ( plus 4). Someone posted here recently that there
> might be some stability issues when using the 20 pin in the 24 pin
> connector? I know MSI 's manual says it should be fine.
>
> I looked briefly at Newegg, and did not see any 24 pin connector power
> supplies, at least under the Antec name, or perhaps I just missed it? All
> saw showed as 20 pin ( plus4) , the plus4 meaning I presume the other
small
> 4 pin connector that gets plugged into the mb as well.
>
> Would appreciate any advice, I am wondering if going with a new power
> connector that has the 24 pin connector to match the motherboard might
solve
> the problem. I see nothing in XP's event viewer either that gives a hint
of
> the problem.
>
> Also, looking at my voltages using Speedfan, I noticed my 3.3 volt rail is
> showing 3.1 volts, wonder if that might have something to do with it? I
> believe this power supply has an adjustment where I could adjust the 3.3
> volt setting.
>

> Thanks for any advice,
>

> --
> Don Burnette

Don Burnette
February 24th 06, 01:14 PM
Yes, nothing showing up in event viewer.

I took someone's advice from the other day, and disabled cpu spread spectrum
in the bios. So far it seems to be stable, knocking on wood...

Thanks,

Don

don wrote:
> Sounds like HD problem to me.
>
> Hav you checked event viewer to see what events have taken place at
> the time of shutdown or lockup?
>

> "Don Burnette" > wrote in message
>> I just recently assembled a new Athlon dual core system .
>> Athlon XP4400+ dual core cpu
>> MSI K8N Neo4 Plat Nforce4 mb
>> Saphire Radeon X850XT PCIe video card.
>> 2gb of Corsair LL matched ( 2 ea 1gb) ddr ram
>> 2 ea 250 gb WD Sata Hard drives
>>
>> I have not overclocked the system yet, all running at default
>> settings. I did up my memory voltage slighty to see if that would
>> help, it has not. I also upped my vcore slightly.
>>
>> I am having some stability issues. About once or twice a day, my
>> machine will just lock up. I have to press the power switch and hold
>> it in, to get the machine to shut down, then reboot. It seems to
>> usually happen when I am browsing the internet or reading
>> newsgroups. Has not happened while playing a game yet, but, I don't
>> game but about a couple hours a week.
>>
>> It did it this evening when I booted it after getting home, then
>> after shutting down and rebooting, it went through a checkdisk and
>> corrected some errors. It did it last weekend, and would not boot,
>> said it was corrupt, and I ended up having to do a repair install of
>> XP Pro.
>>
>> Heat is not an issue, my system temp is around 28c, cpu temp at idle
>> is 32c, under load the highest I have seen is 40c.
>>
>> I am baffled by what is happening. I did a complete new clean
>> install of XP Pro SP2, and have all updates.
>>
>> I am using an Antec True Power 530 watt power supply, but it is the
>> 20 pin ( plus 4 ) connector, and the power connector on the
>> motherboard is the newer 24 pin connector ( plus 4). Someone posted
>> here recently that there might be some stability issues when using
>> the 20 pin in the 24 pin connector? I know MSI 's manual says it
>> should be fine.
>>
>> I looked briefly at Newegg, and did not see any 24 pin connector
>> power supplies, at least under the Antec name, or perhaps I just
>> missed it? All I saw showed as 20 pin ( plus4) , the plus4 meaning I
>> presume the other small 4 pin connector that gets plugged into the
>> mb as well.
>>
>> Would appreciate any advice, I am wondering if going with a new power
>> connector that has the 24 pin connector to match the motherboard
>> might solve the problem. I see nothing in XP's event viewer either
>> that gives a hint of the problem.
>>
>> Also, looking at my voltages using Speedfan, I noticed my 3.3 volt
>> rail is showing 3.1 volts, wonder if that might have something to do
>> with it? I believe this power supply has an adjustment where I could
>> adjust the 3.3 volt setting.
>>

>> Thanks for any advice,
>>

>> --
>> Don Burnette

Don Burnette
February 24th 06, 03:00 PM
Well damn, I spoke too soon :(

Locked up on me this am using OE.. it seems to mainly happen when using
either OE or IE.
Nothing whatsoever in event viewer...

I could try removing the Nvidie ide sw drivers. Would these affect sata
drives? I currently do not have any pata drives in my system..

Don

Don Burnette wrote:
> [...]
>>> the 20 pin in the 24 pin connector? I know MSI 's manual says it
>>> should be fine.
>>>
>>> I looked briefly at Newegg, and did not see any 24 pin connector
>>> power supplies, at least under the Antec name, or perhaps I just
>>> missed it? All I saw showed as 20 pin ( plus4) , the plus4 meaning I
>>> presume the other small 4 pin connector that gets plugged into the
>>> mb as well.
>>>
>>> Would appreciate any advice, I am wondering if going with a new
>>> power connector that has the 24 pin connector to match the
>>> motherboard might solve the problem. I see nothing in XP's event
>>> viewer either that gives a hint of the problem.
>>>
>>> Also, looking at my voltages using Speedfan, I noticed my 3.3 volt
>>> rail is showing 3.1 volts, wonder if that might have something to do
>>> with it? I believe this power supply has an adjustment where I could

Don Burnette
February 24th 06, 08:31 PM
Bill wrote:
> Don Burnette wrote:
>
>> I could try removing the Nvidie ide sw drivers. Would these affect
>> sata drives? I currently do not have any pata drives in my system..
>
> It might be the SATA drivers which are not needed with service pack 2.
> You only need the drivers if you're running a RAID configuration.

> To clear things up, there are only two types of ATX power connectors
> on motherboards. Either the 20-pin or newer 24-pin.
>
> The Antec power supply you have is compatible with both types because
> its connector is a 20-pin with a 4-pin extension that attaches to the
> end of the 20-pin and fits both motherboard connections.
>
> Make sure you have the full 24-pin power connectors plugged into the
> board.

Hmm, I have the 20 pin plugged into the 24 pin connector on the motherboard,
and then, I have the small square 4 pin connector, plugged into a seperate
small square 4 pin connector on the motherboard...

Is this not right?

--
Don Burnette

Don Burnette
February 24th 06, 08:36 PM
Don Burnette wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>> Don Burnette wrote:
>>
>>> I could try removing the Nvidie ide sw drivers. Would these affect
>>> sata drives? I currently do not have any pata drives in my system..
>>
>> It might be the SATA drivers which are not needed with service pack
>> 2. You only need the drivers if you're running a RAID configuration.

>> To clear things up, there are only two types of ATX power connectors
>> on motherboards. Either the 20-pin or newer 24-pin.
>>
>> The Antec power supply you have is compatible with both types because
>> its connector is a 20-pin with a 4-pin extension that attaches to the
>> end of the 20-pin and fits both motherboard connections.
>>
>> Make sure you have the full 24-pin power connectors plugged into the
>> board.
>
> Hmm, I have the 20 pin plugged into the 24 pin connector on the
> motherboard, and then, I have the small square 4 pin connector,
> plugged into a seperate small square 4 pin connector on the
> motherboard...
> Is this not right?

Btw, also, I did not install any sata or raid drivers when doing the new
install of XP Pro, it seemed to work fine without it.
I did however, upon installing the MSI motherboard drivers, install the
Nvidia IDE SW drivers.

--
Don Burnette

Don Burnette
February 24th 06, 10:48 PM
Bill wrote:

>>> To clear things up, there are only two types of ATX power connectors
>>> on motherboards. Either the 20-pin or newer 24-pin.
>>>
>>> The Antec power supply you have is compatible with both types
>>> because its connector is a 20-pin with a 4-pin extension that
>>> attaches to the end of the 20-pin and fits both motherboard
>>> connections.
>>>
>>> Make sure you have the full 24-pin power connectors plugged into the
>>> board.
>>
>> Hmm, I have the 20 pin plugged into the 24 pin connector on the
>> motherboard, and then, I have the small square 4 pin connector,
>> plugged into a seperate small square 4 pin connector on the
>> motherboard...
>>
>> Is this not right?
>
> Yes and no.
>
> There's one slug for the ATX12v at the top of the board near the CPU,
> and only the ATX12v plug will fit in that socket. Sounds like you
> found and connected that one.
>
> There's also one for certain PCI-express video cards that need extra
> power. And of course there's the one for the main power socket.
>
> The three are not interchangeable.
>
> Two plugs look similar but only one will attach and work in the 24-pin
> main power socket on the motherboard. If you don't have both main
> power plugs installed, and it sounds like you don't, then your
> motherboard is not getting enough power. Find and connect the other
> 4-pin plug that makes the power connector a 24-pin connection.
>
> All 24 pins of the main power connection must be installed.

Aha, interesting, I will take a look around in my power wires coming from
the power supply, and see if I see this other connector you are speaking of.
Will advise.

Thanks,

--
Don Burnette

Don Burnette
February 24th 06, 11:07 PM
Don Burnette wrote:
> Bill wrote:

>>> Hmm, I have the 20 pin plugged into the 24 pin connector on the
>>> motherboard, and then, I have the small square 4 pin connector,
>>> plugged into a seperate small square 4 pin connector on the
>>> motherboard...
>>>
>>> Is this not right?
>>
>> Yes and no.
>>
>> There's one slug for the ATX12v at the top of the board near the CPU,
>> and only the ATX12v plug will fit in that socket. Sounds like you
>> found and connected that one.
>>
>> There's also one for certain PCI-express video cards that need extra
>> power. And of course there's the one for the main power socket.
>>
>> The three are not interchangeable.
>>
>> Two plugs look similar but only one will attach and work in the
>> 24-pin main power socket on the motherboard. If you don't have both
>> main power plugs installed, and it sounds like you don't, then your
>> motherboard is not getting enough power. Find and connect the other
>> 4-pin plug that makes the power connector a 24-pin connection.
>>
>> All 24 pins of the main power connection must be installed.
>
> Aha, interesting, I will take a look around in my power wires coming
> from the power supply, and see if I see this other connector you are
> speaking of. Will advise.
>
> Thanks,

Well, poo!
I have looked at every lead coming from the power suppy, and I do not have
another 4 pin plug that would fit beside the main 20 pin power connector.
Now, the pci-express video card does have a plug coming out of it, that
plugs into one of the regular power leads from the power supply.

So what I have is:
The 20 pin main power connector, plugged into the 24 pin receptacle on the
motherboard
The 4 pin atx12v connector, which is plugged into the 4 pin receptacle up
near the cpu.
So, there are the remaining 4 pins in the main receptacle sitting empty
beside where the 20 pin is plugged in.
Is this my problem? Do I need to order a new power supply, and if so, what
do I look for that would have this extra adapter?

Many thanks,

--
Don Burnette

Paul
February 25th 06, 01:49 AM
In article >, "Don Burnette"
> wrote:

> Don Burnette wrote:
> > Bill wrote:

> >> Yes and no.
> >>
> >> There's one slug for the ATX12v at the top of the board near the CPU,
> >> and only the ATX12v plug will fit in that socket. Sounds like you
> >> found and connected that one.
> >>
> >> There's also one for certain PCI-express video cards that need extra
> >> power. And of course there's the one for the main power socket.
> >>
> >> The three are not interchangeable.
> >>
> >> Two plugs look similar but only one will attach and work in the
> >> 24-pin main power socket on the motherboard. If you don't have both
> >> main power plugs installed, and it sounds like you don't, then your
> >> motherboard is not getting enough power. Find and connect the other
> >> 4-pin plug that makes the power connector a 24-pin connection.
> >>
> >> All 24 pins of the main power connection must be installed.
> >
> > Aha, interesting, I will take a look around in my power wires coming
> > from the power supply, and see if I see this other connector you are
> > speaking of. Will advise.
> >
> > Thanks,
>

> Well, poo!
> I have looked at every lead coming from the power suppy, and I do not have
> another 4 pin plug that would fit beside the main 20 pin power connector.
> Now, the pci-express video card does have a plug coming out of it, that
> plugs into one of the regular power leads from the power supply.
>
> So what I have is:
> The 20 pin main power connector, plugged into the 24 pin receptacle on the
> motherboard
> The 4 pin atx12v connector, which is plugged into the 4 pin receptacle up
> near the cpu.
> So, there are the remaining 4 pins in the main receptacle sitting empty
> beside where the 20 pin is plugged in.
> Is this my problem? Do I need to order a new power supply, and if so, what
> do I look for that would have this extra adapter?
>
> Many thanks,

One of the purposes of the 24 pin connector, is to provide a few
extra pins to carry power for PCI Express. But the 20 pin connector
can also do the job. The issue is, whether the load on the motherboard
would exceed the capacity of the 20 pin connector, to carry the current.

If you have a single PCI Express video card, and it is powered via
a 2x3 connector on the end of the card, then there will be no
stress to speak of, on the 20 pin main connector. The other
extreme would be two cards in SLI, and having no 2x3 or 1x4 connector
on the end of the two video cards, for additional power. In a situation
like that, then the full 24 pins might be advisable.

Usually the motherboard manual will have some comments on the subject.

The deal is, the 20 pin connector has only one +12V pin. The 24 pin
connector has two +12V pins. A single pin on the ATX power connector
is rated to carry 6 amps, before it gets warm. That means up to
6 amps could flow through the 20 pin connector without a problem.
On a typical motherboard, the only load on that pin, is for fan
headers (maybe 0.5A), plus the video card power drawn through the
edge card of the PCI Express video slot. A 6600GT card, which
doesn't have a separate power connector, draws 4 amps from the
20 pin ATX connector. So, the total in that case is 4.5A of a
total of 6A allowed.

Generally, a card more powerful graphics wise, will have a separate
power cable, for cards faster than a 6600GT. And then the 20 pin
connector is only carrying the fan current (0.5A or so). AFAIK,
the 6600GT is the most stressful card you can select, and the total
current is still within the 6 amp limit of a 20 pin power
connector. (One reason the 6600GT doesn't have a 2x3 power plug,
is because the five 1 amp pins on the edge card are enough to
carry the current the card needs).

Paul

Don Burnette
February 26th 06, 04:04 PM
Bill wrote:

>> I have looked at every lead coming from the power suppy, and I do
>> not have another 4 pin plug that would fit beside the main 20 pin
>> power connector.
>
> That's odd because according to the Antec website, the True Power
> supplies have 20+4 pin connections, just like my Antec Smart Power
> supply.
>
> There is a 20-pin connector and a 4-pin that snaps onto the end of the
> 20-pin to "convert" it into a 24-pin.
>
>> Now, the pci-express video card does have a plug coming out of it,
>> that plugs into one of the regular power leads from the power supply.
>
> That's good...it takes some of the stress off the motherboard.
>
>> So, there are the remaining 4 pins in the main receptacle sitting
>> empty beside where the 20 pin is plugged in.
>> Is this my problem? Do I need to order a new power supply, and if
>> so, what do I look for that would have this extra adapter?
>
> I just noticed that you have a 530w True Power, and after a
> double-check I see there is no such power supply on Antec's website.
> Can you verify the model number and power rating.
>
> The other True Power supplies are supposed to be v2.0 compatible and
> work with either the 20 or 24-pin connectors.

Hmm, can't see with it in the case, I would have to remove it to tell. I
know it is an Antec True Power, and pretty sure it is at least 500+w.
I think I will go ahead and order one that I know is 20 plus 4 to be safe,
will advise what this one is when I remove it...

Thanks,

--
Don Burnette

dino
February 26th 06, 07:18 PM
you can buy a 20-24 pin adapter at most computer stores..I have used that in
most of my builds due to the fact people just don't want to spend the extra
buying an empty tower and adding a $40-50 cheap 24 pin psu, when I am
selling them the tower and PSU for $40.

Paul
February 27th 06, 03:46 AM
In article >, "dino"
> wrote:

> you can buy a 20-24 pin adapter at most computer stores..I have used that in
> most of my builds due to the fact people just don't want to spend the extra
> buying an empty tower and adding a $40-50 cheap 24 pin psu, when I am
> selling them the tower and PSU for $40.

That passes the ampacity problem, to where the 20 pin adapter
meets the 20 pin ATX power supply. The current flowing through the
two pins on the 24 pin end of the adapter, is flowing through a
single pin where the 20 pin ends meet. You have transferred the
overheat problem to the 20 pin end. Using the adapter hasn't
solved anything, other than being aesthetically pleasing.

For many computer builds, the motherboard load through the
main power connector, on the +12V, does not exceed 6 amps.
While this is "the right way" to build them, it frequently
isn't necessary. The two pins for +12V on the 24 pin
connector can carry up to a total of 12 amps into the
motherboard before they get hot.

ATX_PSU ------------24 pin ----- 24 pin motherboard
^

2 pins carries +12V current---+

You can plug a 20 pin connector directly to the 24 pin mobo.
For example, if you had a 6600GT (which has no PCIe power
connector at the end of the card) and three fans, the
4.5 amps drawn while gaming, are easily provided by the 6 amp
limit of the single pin.

ATX_PSU ------------20 pin ----- 24 pin motherboard
^

1 pin carries +12V current---+

Using a 20 pin to 24 pin adapter, still forces the current
through the one pin. That pin is where the 20 pin ATX
supply meets the 20_to_24 pin adapter. This adapter
solves nothing, and in fact only adds voltage drop caused
by the increased length of wire. While it looks pretty,
it isn't actually solving any problem. If there was an
overloading problem, the plastic on the ATX PSU end could
be damaged, meaning you might have to replace the power
supply. Which I suppose is marginally better than the
case above, where both the PSU and motherboard plastics
melt. In any case, this is not doing your customers
any good - either you do the math and know the config is
adequately served by the 20 pin supply, connected directly,
or use the 24 pin supply if you think that somehow, the
amps to the motherboard, are going above 6 amps.

ATX_PSU ---20 pin --- 20pin_to_24_pin ---- 24 pin motherboard
^ ^
| |
Only 1 pin here, so Two pins here
this is the hot spot so not as hot

It is pretty easy to see, for a non-SLI board, that
connecting the 20 pin ATX to the 24 pin motherboard will
be OK. But there are components entering the marketplace,
that can negate that easy answer. For example, Matrox now
makes a PCI Express x1 video card, which can be plugged into
any PCI Express slot. Which means a non-SLI motherboard can now
have multiple video cards plugged in, with who knows how much
PCI Express power consumption. Depending on whether the Matrox
product uses +12V or not, could mean that more than 6 amps are
required (i.e. 4 amps for a 6600GT + ??? amps for the Matrox),
and then you need to use a real 24 pin power supply.

That determination becomes more challenging with SLI
systems. If I was crazy, and I SLI a couple of 6600GT
(with no PCIe power connector on the end of the cards), then
8 amps come from the motherboard. If the motherboard has
an EZPlug (a molex connector next to the video cards), then
that molex, plus the 20 pin, is still enough for the job.
However, if the SLI motherboard being used did not have any
auxiliary assistance like that Molex, then a real 24 pin
power supply should definitely be used. If you use your
20_to_24 pin adapter for that silly example of a couple
6600GT PCIe cards, then the adapter will melt where it meets
the 20 pin power supply.

If you cannot work out the expected current, or at least
have not instructed your customer how to do the calculation,
so they know when to replace the supply, you are doing them
a disservice by using that adapter. Sticking a real 24 pin
power supply in there, is an easy way to make friends, even if
it costs a few more bucks. You can even explain to your
customer, why you are doing it - for their own good.

Paul

Don Burnette
February 27th 06, 01:31 PM
Bill wrote:
> Don Burnette wrote:
>
>>> I just noticed that you have a 530w True Power, and after a
>>> double-check I see there is no such power supply on Antec's website.
>>> Can you verify the model number and power rating.
>>>
>>> The other True Power supplies are supposed to be v2.0 compatible and
>>> work with either the 20 or 24-pin connectors.
>>
>> Hmm, can't see with it in the case, I would have to remove it to
>> tell. I know it is an Antec True Power, and pretty sure it is at
>> least 500+w.
>> I think I will go ahead and order one that I know is 20 plus 4 to be
>> safe, will advise what this one is when I remove it...
>
> You have a very good power supply. Why buy another one?
>
> Another person just posted about an adaptor for the 20 to 24-pin
> connectors. That sounds like a better idea than buying a whole new
> supply.

Well, I guess the only reason would be as an attempt to get rid of my
locking up problems. It does not lock up now as much as it did, since
disabling the cpu spread spectrum, but it still does occasionally. It has
now gone a couple of days without a lockup. And there are no error or
warning messages in event viewer pointing to the cause...
It appears some believe, with it just being the 20 pin connector plugged
into the mb, that it could be underpowered? If indeed that is the cause, I
am not sure just getting an adaptor would do the trick.

But, according to the MSI K8N Neo4 Plat mb manual, using just the 20 pin
connector should be fine.

Ironically, it has not locked up yet while playing a 3d game, only when
browsing the internet or reading newsgroups, but that is what I do the
majority of the time.

--
Don Burnette

VanShania
February 28th 06, 01:04 AM
Could also be a driver problem. Before spending tons of money, make sure
your bios is flashed to the most recent version and use the latest
motherboard drivers. Also make sure your using the most recent drivers for
your vid card and sound card too.

--
[email protected]
PC3200 Samsung 512mb, SB Live OEM

Overall Score-2066, cpu_score-2926
in 3DMark2005 basic 1078X768, No AA

"Don Burnette" > wrote in message
> I just recently assembled a new Athlon dual core system .
> Athlon XP4400+ dual core cpu
> MSI K8N Neo4 Plat Nforce4 mb
> Saphire Radeon X850XT PCIe video card.
> 2gb of Corsair LL matched ( 2 ea 1gb) ddr ram
> 2 ea 250 gb WD Sata Hard drives
>
> I have not overclocked the system yet, all running at default settings. I
> did up my memory voltage slighty to see if that would help, it has not. I
> also upped my vcore slightly.
>
> I am having some stability issues. About once or twice a day, my machine
> will just lock up. I have to press the power switch and hold it in, to get
> the machine to shut down, then reboot. It seems to usually happen when I
am
> browsing the internet or reading newsgroups. Has not happened while
playing
> a game yet, but, I don't game but about a couple hours a week.
>
> It did it this evening when I booted it after getting home, then after
> shutting down and rebooting, it went through a checkdisk and corrected
some
> errors. It did it last weekend, and would not boot, said it was corrupt,
> and I ended up having to do a repair install of XP Pro.
>
> Heat is not an issue, my system temp is around 28c, cpu temp at idle is
32c,
> under load the highest I have seen is 40c.
>
> I am baffled by what is happening. I did a complete new clean install of
XP
> Pro SP2, and have all updates.
>
> I am using an Antec True Power 530 watt power supply, but it is the 20 pin
> ( plus 4 ) connector, and the power connector on the motherboard is the
> newer 24 pin connector ( plus 4). Someone posted here recently that there
> might be some stability issues when using the 20 pin in the 24 pin
> connector? I know MSI 's manual says it should be fine.
>
> I looked briefly at Newegg, and did not see any 24 pin connector power
> supplies, at least under the Antec name, or perhaps I just missed it? All
> saw showed as 20 pin ( plus4) , the plus4 meaning I presume the other
small
> 4 pin connector that gets plugged into the mb as well.
>
> Would appreciate any advice, I am wondering if going with a new power
> connector that has the 24 pin connector to match the motherboard might
solve
> the problem. I see nothing in XP's event viewer either that gives a hint
of
> the problem.
>
> Also, looking at my voltages using Speedfan, I noticed my 3.3 volt rail is
> showing 3.1 volts, wonder if that might have something to do with it? I
> believe this power supply has an adjustment where I could adjust the 3.3
> volt setting.
>

> Thanks for any advice,
>

> --
> Don Burnette

don
February 28th 06, 05:45 AM
Hey guy's I'm not sure what the problem is but I can assure you that it is
not the power connector.

We are going to start looking at other componants and software (drivers and
such).

Have you tried running Msinfo32 (system information) and looking for trouble
spots?

Or for that matter looking in device manager for any problems?

"Don Burnette" > wrote in message
> Bill wrote:

> >> Hmm, can't see with it in the case, I would have to remove it to
> >> tell. I know it is an Antec True Power, and pretty sure it is at
> >> least 500+w.
> >> I think I will go ahead and order one that I know is 20 plus 4 to be
> >> safe, will advise what this one is when I remove it...
> >
> > You have a very good power supply. Why buy another one?
> >
> > Another person just posted about an adaptor for the 20 to 24-pin
> > connectors. That sounds like a better idea than buying a whole new
> > supply.
>

> Well, I guess the only reason would be as an attempt to get rid of my
> locking up problems. It does not lock up now as much as it did, since
> disabling the cpu spread spectrum, but it still does occasionally. It has
> now gone a couple of days without a lockup. And there are no error or
> warning messages in event viewer pointing to the cause...
> It appears some believe, with it just being the 20 pin connector plugged
> into the mb, that it could be underpowered? If indeed that is the cause, I
> am not sure just getting an adaptor would do the trick.
>
> But, according to the MSI K8N Neo4 Plat mb manual, using just the 20 pin
> connector should be fine.
>
> Ironically, it has not locked up yet while playing a 3d game, only when
> browsing the internet or reading newsgroups, but that is what I do the
> majority of the time.
>

> --
> Don Burnette

Don Burnette
February 28th 06, 12:47 PM
Yes, no trouble spots.

I am going on about 3 days now without it happening, keeping fingers
crossed.. I have to go out of town however today for a couple of days.

If it happens again, I may see about updating the bios and mb drivers. I am
running the bios which came with the board, 1.0 a I believe, and the
motherboard drivers that came on the MSI install cd.

Thanks all,

Don

don wrote:
> Hey guy's I'm not sure what the problem is but I can assure you that
> it is not the power connector.
>
> We are going to start looking at other componants and software
> (drivers and such).
>
> Have you tried running Msinfo32 (system information) and looking for
> trouble spots?
>
> Or for that matter looking in device manager for any problems?
>
> "Don Burnette" > wrote in message
>> Bill wrote:

>>> You have a very good power supply. Why buy another one?
>>>
>>> Another person just posted about an adaptor for the 20 to 24-pin
>>> connectors. That sounds like a better idea than buying a whole new
>>> supply.
>>

>> Well, I guess the only reason would be as an attempt to get rid of my
>> locking up problems. It does not lock up now as much as it did, since
>> disabling the cpu spread spectrum, but it still does occasionally.
>> It has now gone a couple of days without a lockup. And there are no
>> error or warning messages in event viewer pointing to the cause...
>> It appears some believe, with it just being the 20 pin connector
>> plugged into the mb, that it could be underpowered? If indeed that
>> is the cause, I am not sure just getting an adaptor would do the
>> trick.
>>
>> But, according to the MSI K8N Neo4 Plat mb manual, using just the 20
>> pin connector should be fine.
>>
>> Ironically, it has not locked up yet while playing a 3d game, only
>> when browsing the internet or reading newsgroups, but that is what I
>> do the majority of the time.
>>

>> --
>> Don Burnette

March 1st 06, 11:47 PM
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:00:53 -0600, "Don Burnette"
> wrote:

>I just recently assembled a new Athlon dual core system .
>Athlon XP4400+ dual core cpu
>MSI K8N Neo4 Plat Nforce4 mb
>Saphire Radeon X850XT PCIe video card.
>2gb of Corsair LL matched ( 2 ea 1gb) ddr ram
>2 ea 250 gb WD Sata Hard drives
>

>I am using an Antec True Power 530 watt power supply, but it is the 20 pin
>( plus 4 ) connector, and the power connector on the motherboard is the
>newer 24 pin connector ( plus 4). Someone posted here recently that there
>might be some stability issues when using the 20 pin in the 24 pin
>connector? I know MSI 's manual says it should be fine.

Simple test. take out one 1gig ram stick and disconnect one 250gb HD.
See if the system works now.

If problems solved, you're 530 is simply too weak.

Yeah they upped all that +12volts stuff but you notice the PS wattage
didn't increase ? Something for nothing ? Not likely.

Don Burnette
March 3rd 06, 05:46 AM
Well, got back in from out of town this evening, booted up the computer, and
was reading emails and newsgroups, and blammo, locked up again. Once again,
no warning or errors in event viewer.

Ok, since I am using the motherboard drivers I installed off the MSI cd that
came with this board, my next step is I am going to search for updated
drivers and install if any, and update my bios if an update is available,
and see if that does any good.
Btw, is there any advantage to getting the motherboard drivers say from
Nvidia rather than MSI?

Thanks,

Don

Don Burnette wrote:
> Yes, no trouble spots.
>
> I am going on about 3 days now without it happening, keeping fingers
> crossed.. I have to go out of town however today for a couple of days.
>
> If it happens again, I may see about updating the bios and mb
> drivers. I am running the bios which came with the board, 1.0 a I
> believe, and the motherboard drivers that came on the MSI install cd.
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Don
>

> don wrote:
>> Hey guy's I'm not sure what the problem is but I can assure you that
>> it is not the power connector.
>>
>> We are going to start looking at other componants and software
>> (drivers and such).
>>
>> Have you tried running Msinfo32 (system information) and looking for
>> trouble spots?
>>
>> Or for that matter looking in device manager for any problems?

>>> Well, I guess the only reason would be as an attempt to get rid of
>>> my locking up problems. It does not lock up now as much as it did,
>>> since disabling the cpu spread spectrum, but it still does
>>> occasionally. It has now gone a couple of days without a lockup.
>>> And there are no error or warning messages in event viewer pointing
>>> to the cause... It appears some believe, with it just being the 20
>>> pin connector plugged into the mb, that it could be underpowered?
>>> If indeed that is the cause, I am not sure just getting an adaptor
>>> would do the trick.
>>>
>>> But, according to the MSI K8N Neo4 Plat mb manual, using just the 20
>>> pin connector should be fine.
>>>
>>> Ironically, it has not locked up yet while playing a 3d game, only
>>> when browsing the internet or reading newsgroups, but that is what I
>>> do the majority of the time.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Don Burnette

CBFalconer
March 3rd 06, 08:33 PM
Don Burnette wrote:

> Well, got back in from out of town this evening, booted up the
> computer, and was reading emails and newsgroups, and blammo,
> locked up again. Once again, no warning or errors in event
> viewer.
>
> Ok, since I am using the motherboard drivers I installed off the
> MSI cd that came with this board, my next step is I am going to
> search for updated drivers and install if any, and update my
> bios if an update is available, and see if that does any good.
> Btw, is there any advantage to getting the motherboard drivers
> say from Nvidia rather than MSI?

Please don't top-post, and please do snip.

Sounds to me more as if you have snaky hardware, possibly a
marginal memory chip (unless you have ECC, which would eliminate
that possibility) or a cold soldered joint on the MB, or a marginal
socket connection. You can try removing, inspecting contacts, and
reseating to (possibly) handle the sockets. A replacement
identical MB, without memory or cpu, would probably not be
expensive.

Bad connections are likely to be affected by temperature. You can
try spraying refrigerant, or heating with a hair dryer, and see if
things become worse.

kony
March 4th 06, 03:11 AM
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:46:56 -0600, "Don Burnette"
> wrote:

>Well, got back in from out of town this evening, booted up the computer, and
>was reading emails and newsgroups, and blammo, locked up again. Once again,
>no warning or errors in event viewer.
>
>Ok, since I am using the motherboard drivers I installed off the MSI cd that
>came with this board, my next step is I am going to search for updated
>drivers and install if any, and update my bios if an update is available,
>and see if that does any good.
>Btw, is there any advantage to getting the motherboard drivers say from
>Nvidia rather than MSI?

Yes, nothing from MSI should ever be installed unless MSI is
the only source for (whatever). The original drivers should
not be installed, nor newer ones from MSI. This minimizes
(or eliminates) any residual driver residue on the OS
installation and ensures the newest driver possible is used.

There are rare exceptions, but those are noteworthy (noted
and can be found via google search). Generally these are
not even worth considering until after the newer nVidia
driver is used and it is found that some function isn't
supported (yet), at which point the supplimental driver is
added. Usually one isn't needed.

You might check MSI's site for bios updates/related notes to
see if anything seemingly relevant has been patched on newer
bios versions.

MSI may also have the easiest (to set correctly or use, I
can't be sure of it since I don't have your board here)
hardware monitoring software. Try to keep an eye on the
temperatures and voltages to see if there's any correlation
between them changing and the problem.

Don Burnette
March 4th 06, 04:12 PM
kony wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:46:56 -0600, "Don Burnette"
> > wrote:
>
>> Well, got back in from out of town this evening, booted up the
>> computer, and was reading emails and newsgroups, and blammo, locked
>> up again. Once again, no warning or errors in event viewer.
>>
>> Ok, since I am using the motherboard drivers I installed off the MSI
>> cd that came with this board, my next step is I am going to search
>> for updated drivers and install if any, and update my bios if an
>> update is available, and see if that does any good.
>> Btw, is there any advantage to getting the motherboard drivers say
>> from Nvidia rather than MSI?
>

> Yes, nothing from MSI should ever be installed unless MSI is
> the only source for (whatever). The original drivers should
> not be installed, nor newer ones from MSI. This minimizes
> (or eliminates) any residual driver residue on the OS
> installation and ensures the newest driver possible is used.
>
> There are rare exceptions, but those are noteworthy (noted
> and can be found via google search). Generally these are
> not even worth considering until after the newer nVidia
> driver is used and it is found that some function isn't
> supported (yet), at which point the supplimental driver is
> added. Usually one isn't needed.
>
> You might check MSI's site for bios updates/related notes to
> see if anything seemingly relevant has been patched on newer
> bios versions.
>
> MSI may also have the easiest (to set correctly or use, I
> can't be sure of it since I don't have your board here)
> hardware monitoring software. Try to keep an eye on the
> temperatures and voltages to see if there's any correlation
> between them changing and the problem.

Will do, thanks Kony. The only thing I have noticed, is the 3.3v shows
outputting 3.10 volts, don't know if that would be related or not. I do have
an adjustment for that on the front panel that connects to the power supply,
but I have not messed with adjusting it yet.

I will uninstall the MSI drivers and install the latest Nvidia drivers
sometime this weekend. There is one updated bios out there, but I think the
only thing it corrects is how it reports on something, but I will probably
go ahead and update to it as well. I have only used liveupdate to update the
bios once, on a previous mb, it worked fine but I am always leery of doing
it ( don't have a floppy on this system).

I loaded the optimized defaults for the bios yesterday, in preperation for
possibly updating the bios. Ya know, I am not sure, I ever really loaded the
optimized defaults when I first assembled this system, heck that may help in
itself.

My temps are fine, idles pretty constant around 34c, and under load around
40-42c.

Thanks,

--
Don Burnette

Paul
March 4th 06, 05:41 PM
In article >, "Don Burnette"
> wrote:

> kony wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:46:56 -0600, "Don Burnette"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Well, got back in from out of town this evening, booted up the
> >> computer, and was reading emails and newsgroups, and blammo, locked
> >> up again. Once again, no warning or errors in event viewer.
> >>
> >> Ok, since I am using the motherboard drivers I installed off the MSI
> >> cd that came with this board, my next step is I am going to search
> >> for updated drivers and install if any, and update my bios if an
> >> update is available, and see if that does any good.
> >> Btw, is there any advantage to getting the motherboard drivers say
> >> from Nvidia rather than MSI?
> >

> > Yes, nothing from MSI should ever be installed unless MSI is
> > the only source for (whatever). The original drivers should
> > not be installed, nor newer ones from MSI. This minimizes
> > (or eliminates) any residual driver residue on the OS
> > installation and ensures the newest driver possible is used.
> >
> > There are rare exceptions, but those are noteworthy (noted
> > and can be found via google search). Generally these are
> > not even worth considering until after the newer nVidia
> > driver is used and it is found that some function isn't
> > supported (yet), at which point the supplimental driver is
> > added. Usually one isn't needed.
> >
> > You might check MSI's site for bios updates/related notes to
> > see if anything seemingly relevant has been patched on newer
> > bios versions.
> >
> > MSI may also have the easiest (to set correctly or use, I
> > can't be sure of it since I don't have your board here)
> > hardware monitoring software. Try to keep an eye on the
> > temperatures and voltages to see if there's any correlation
> > between them changing and the problem.
>

> Will do, thanks Kony. The only thing I have noticed, is the 3.3v shows
> outputting 3.10 volts, don't know if that would be related or not. I do have
> an adjustment for that on the front panel that connects to the power supply,
> but I have not messed with adjusting it yet.
>
> I will uninstall the MSI drivers and install the latest Nvidia drivers
> sometime this weekend. There is one updated bios out there, but I think the
> only thing it corrects is how it reports on something, but I will probably
> go ahead and update to it as well. I have only used liveupdate to update the
> bios once, on a previous mb, it worked fine but I am always leery of doing
> it ( don't have a floppy on this system).
>
> I loaded the optimized defaults for the bios yesterday, in preperation for
> possibly updating the bios. Ya know, I am not sure, I ever really loaded the
> optimized defaults when I first assembled this system, heck that may help in
> itself.
>
> My temps are fine, idles pretty constant around 34c, and under load around
> 40-42c.
>

> Thanks,

If this is a TrueControl power supply, you should put the adjustment
device in place. Apparently the power supply will run on the low
side, with the adjustment device disconnected. That could account
for a 3.10 reading on the 3.3V supply. I would adjust the knobs
while using a voltmeter to verify them. You may be able to touch
the metal of the pin within the 20 pin connector, while it is
connected to the motherboard. Clip the ground of your voltmeter
to a safe place, like an I/O screw on the back of the computer,
so it won't fall into the computer. Then, you'll only need
one hand to probe the backside of the 20 pin connector. A
Molex drive connector gives access to +5V and +12V, but the
main 20 pin will be needed to get at a +3.3V pin.

While it would be fun to trust the hardware monitor chip on the
motherboard, for these voltage readings, the hardware monitor
seldom seems to be correct. You will occasionally see reports
where someone checks their outputs with a voltmeter, only to
find the power supply has virtually "perfect" outputs, while
the monitor chip is reading some other values. So, with the
adjustment plate in place, using a voltmeter is the best way
to set it up.

The adjustment is probably not critical to system operation,
and if you just set the rail adjustments to their "middle"
value, that could very well be good enough. Using the
voltmeter is for the peace of mind knowing it is set up
right.

The only thing I've heard of, that becomes unstable with
a low 3.3V, is some older ATI AIW video cards. Some users
of those have noted in the past, that if 3.3V was low,
there was reduced stability.

Paul

March 6th 06, 03:38 AM
LOL. JUST DO IT, AND LEAVE THE THINKING TO ME.

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:45:39 -0500, Bill > wrote:

wrote:

>>>I just recently assembled a new Athlon dual core system .
>>>Athlon XP4400+ dual core cpu
>>>MSI K8N Neo4 Plat Nforce4 mb
>>>Saphire Radeon X850XT PCIe video card.
>>>2gb of Corsair LL matched ( 2 ea 1gb) ddr ram
>>>2 ea 250 gb WD Sata Hard drives
>>>I am using an Antec True Power 530 watt power supply, but it is the 20 pin
>>
>>Simple test. take out one 1gig ram stick and disconnect one 250gb HD.
>>See if the system works now.
>
>I think that would indicate a memory stick is bad more than anything.
>
>>If problems solved, you're 530 is simply too weak.
>>
>>Yeah they upped all that +12volts stuff but you notice the PS wattage
>>didn't increase ? Something for nothing ? Not likely.
>
>While it's true you don't usually get something for nothing, the power
>needs are barely enough to tax a good 530w supply.
>
>I have a system with more power drain than the above listed setup, and
>my power supply is a similar yet less capable Antec SmartPower 450w
>unit. My system typically floats around the 60% mark of full power
>depending on the activities being performed. Do the math involved in
>calculating total power consumption. I seriously doubt his power supply
>requirement is in question.
>
>The power supply may be defective, but that's completely different from
>not being capable of providing enough power.

don
March 6th 06, 05:31 AM
On the driver issue there are pros and cons of each.

First the drivers included on the MSI CD are written by the hardware mfg
(i.e..Nvidia). they are customized to the hardware that is installed on the
MB and may have features not always supported by the generic drivers.
However I have not often seen either versions of the drivers cause problems.

On the other hand the support offered to the MB mfgs is more limited than
what is offered to comparable stand alone products. This means that if your
MB is more than a year or two old (from production date, not from when you
bought it) then the drivers from the component mfg. will most likely be the
most bug free.

As for someone's comment that you should never use the drivers from the MB
manufacturer, that is ludicrous, I have set up thousands of machines and I
always use the MB drivers that come on the included CD and have yet to have
a serious problem.

And By the way Top Posting makes more sense then having to read every post
over and over and over again to get to the comment on the thread. If I want
to read more I will.

"Don Burnette" > wrote in message
> Well, got back in from out of town this evening, booted up the computer,
and
> was reading emails and newsgroups, and blammo, locked up again. Once
again,
> no warning or errors in event viewer.
>
> Ok, since I am using the motherboard drivers I installed off the MSI cd
that
> came with this board, my next step is I am going to search for updated
> drivers and install if any, and update my bios if an update is available,
> and see if that does any good.
> Btw, is there any advantage to getting the motherboard drivers say from
> Nvidia rather than MSI?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Don
>

> Don Burnette wrote:
> > Yes, no trouble spots.
> >
> > I am going on about 3 days now without it happening, keeping fingers
> > crossed.. I have to go out of town however today for a couple of days.
> >
> > If it happens again, I may see about updating the bios and mb
> > drivers. I am running the bios which came with the board, 1.0 a I
> > believe, and the motherboard drivers that came on the MSI install cd.
> >
> > Thanks all,
> >
> > Don
> >

> > don wrote:
> >> Hey guy's I'm not sure what the problem is but I can assure you that
> >> it is not the power connector.
> >>
> >> We are going to start looking at other componants and software
> >> (drivers and such).
> >>
> >> Have you tried running Msinfo32 (system information) and looking for
> >> trouble spots?
> >>
> >> Or for that matter looking in device manager for any problems?

kony
March 6th 06, 04:02 PM
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 04:31:33 GMT, "don" >
wrote:

>On the driver issue there are pros and cons of each.
>
>First the drivers included on the MSI CD are written by the hardware mfg
>(i.e..Nvidia). they are customized to the hardware that is installed on the
>MB and may have features not always supported by the generic drivers.
>However I have not often seen either versions of the drivers cause problems.
>
>On the other hand the support offered to the MB mfgs is more limited than
>what is offered to comparable stand alone products. This means that if your
>MB is more than a year or two old (from production date, not from when you
>bought it) then the drivers from the component mfg. will most likely be the
>most bug free.
>
>As for someone's comment that you should never use the drivers from the MB
>manufacturer, that is ludicrous, I have set up thousands of machines and I
>always use the MB drivers that come on the included CD and have yet to have
>a serious problem.

Don't be ridiculous. Fact is, the OEM drivers are older
versions of the drivers that are released in newer versions
for the very reason that there is benefit.

You have not set up thousands of machines and tested them
against the myriad problems possible. Maybe you installed
the driver, woohoo, that is not even close to knowing what
problems there might be- and maybe you even tested or used
one or more such systems extensively, but it cannot mean you
then have more knowledge than this one static platform in
the particular use. In short, you're just plain wrong.
Millions of experienced users have know for a long time that
installing the oldest driver from the manufacturer is most
likely to be problematic. Perhaps blissfull ignorance is a
better way to put it.

>And By the way Top Posting makes more sense then having to read every post
>over and over and over again to get to the comment on the thread. If I want
>to read more I will.

Then snip out the irrelevant portions at least.

Don Burnette
March 13th 06, 11:25 PM
Ok, still having stability issues on my new build:

MSI K8N Neo4 Plat
Athlon X2 4400+
2 ea 250 gb WD Sata hard drives
ATI X850XT PCIe video card
Audigy2 ZS soundcard
2gb Corsair XMS LL pc3500 ( 2ea x 1gb), running in dual channel
Windows XP Sp2 completely updated

I updated the mb drivers with the latest from the Nvidia website about a
week ago.
I disabled cpu spread spectrum
I am running at optimized defaults, no overclocking as of yet.

My system locks up every few days, usually when using Outlook or Outlook
Express. I have yet to have it lock up while gaming, however, I only game a
couple hours a week at most. Most of my time is spent emailing and reading
newsgroups.

I get no error or warning messages in event viewer whatsoever. Just a lock
up, nothing works, not evening ctrl-alt-del, I have to power down by holding
the power switch in a few seconds, then restart, and it is fine.

I have the Nvidia ide sw drivers installed with the motherboard drivers,
wonder if this could be the problem, wonder if it would be worth
uninstalling the mb driver and re-installing and not installing the Nvidia
ide sw drivers?

I am also tempted to go ahead and order a new power supply that has the
extra 4 pin connector that goes on the end of the 20 pin connector just in
case...

Don Burnette

--

VanShania
April 19th 06, 10:38 PM

It also appears that when doing a fresh install, you may want to pull all
your PCI devices out as it apparently causes interference with the IDE
driver(according to Gigabyte), just like Win 98. I also disable my onboard
sound and lan and install drivers after everything else.

> [...]
>>> the 20 pin in the 24 pin connector? I know MSI 's manual says it
>>> should be fine.
>>>
>>> I looked briefly at Newegg, and did not see any 24 pin connector
>>> power supplies, at least under the Antec name, or perhaps I just
>>> missed it? All I saw showed as 20 pin ( plus4) , the plus4 meaning I
>>> presume the other small 4 pin connector that gets plugged into the
>>> mb as well.
>>>
>>> Would appreciate any advice, I am wondering if going with a new power
>>> connector that has the 24 pin connector to match the motherboard
>>> might solve the problem. I see nothing in XP's event viewer either
>>> that gives a hint of the problem.
>>>
>>> Also, looking at my voltages using Speedfan, I noticed my 3.3 volt
>>> rail is showing 3.1 volts, wonder if that might have something to do
>>> with it? I believe this power supply has an adjustment where I could

Don Burnette
April 21st 06, 12:14 PM
Thanks Van,

I was able to solve my stability issues, by uninstalling the motherboard
drivers, and reinstalling and then NOT installing the Nvidia IDW SW driver.

Not sure why it was having that affect on my particular system, but without
the Nvidia IDE SW driver, my system has been rock solid.

Don Burnette