PDA

View Full Version : Dualcore value for money?

Thomas Andersson
February 20th 06, 10:44 PM
Hi!

What is currently the best value for money (price/performance) among the
current batch of dualcore 64bit processors?

Best Wishes
Thomas

General Schvantzkoph
February 20th 06, 11:02 PM
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:44:20 +0100, Thomas Andersson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> What is currently the best value for money (price/performance) among the
> current batch of dualcore 64bit processors?
>
> Best Wishes
> Thomas

For high performance systems the X2 4400+, for budget systems the X2 3800+

Scotter
February 21st 06, 12:50 AM
Personally, I'd recommend the X2 4600+ or even the X2 4800+. Yeah, those are
the priciest X2s you can get right now but *I* like to think in terms of
buying the most you can buy right now that will last the longest and give
you the most performance. Yeah, if you want bang for buck, then get the
4400+ or 4200+.

And, in case you haven't settled on a motherboard yet:

If you get an X2 processor, I highly recommend the Asus A8N-SLI motherboard
or a non-SLI version of it if you are not needing to do SLI with video. I
recommend this board because (a) My close friend went this route and is very
very happy with it; and (b) I've seen quite a few good reviews of this board
net-wide.
--
Scotter
Tyan Thunder K8WE
"Thomas Andersson" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> What is currently the best value for money (price/performance) among the
> current batch of dualcore 64bit processors?
>
> Best Wishes
> Thomas

LSASr
February 21st 06, 05:09 AM
What about Optys? My 165 runs at 2500 on all stock voltages and air cooled
(limited by use of 4x512 Ram) and has 1 gig of cache versus 512 for the
3800. If you get lucky you can find a retail box for under $325.

LSASr