PDA

View Full Version : MB & CPU Temperature

Terere
February 20th 06, 05:41 PM
My Athlon XP 2000+ (Thnderbird, I think) runs at 77 degrees Celsius during film
conversion and MB stays at 35 degrees. I read at AMD that this CPU can get up to
90 degrees. My MoBo is an ASUS A7S333. My case has got a front fan pushing fresh
air into the box and a lateral fan pulling the air out. Also, there is the power
supply back fan. The lateral fan is on top of the CPU, but the air flow is
samll.

Are the temperatures ok ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

leon
February 20th 06, 09:34 PM
Terere wrote:
> My Athlon XP 2000+ (Thnderbird, I think) runs at 77 degrees Celsius during film
> conversion and MB stays at 35 degrees. I read at AMD that this CPU can get up to
> 90 degrees. My MoBo is an ASUS A7S333. My case has got a front fan pushing fresh
> air into the box and a lateral fan pulling the air out. Also, there is the power
> supply back fan. The lateral fan is on top of the CPU, but the air flow is
> samll.
>
> Are the temperatures ok ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

No, change the proc cooler for better.

Wes Newell
February 21st 06, 01:44 AM
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:41:11 -0200, Terere wrote:

> My Athlon XP 2000+ (Thnderbird, I think) runs at 77 degrees Celsius
> during film conversion and MB stays at 35 degrees. I read at AMD that
> this CPU can get up to 90 degrees. My MoBo is an ASUS A7S333. My case
> has got a front fan pushing fresh air into the box and a lateral fan
> pulling the air out. Also, there is the power supply back fan. The
> lateral fan is on top of the CPU, but the air flow is samll.
>
> Are the temperatures ok ?

No. What CPU cooler do you have? Have you cleaned it lately? And XP's
didn't use the Thunderbird core either.

Terere
February 22nd 06, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The cooler is the original I got with the box
processor. I will have a look at the cooler dirt and the like. I just wanted to be
sure the temp was a bit too high, so I can change the whole installation now.

Thanks a bunch.

tazman
February 22nd 06, 03:01 PM
"Terere" > wrote in message ...
> My Athlon XP 2000+ (Thnderbird, I think) runs at 77 degrees Celsius during
> film
> conversion and MB stays at 35 degrees. I read at AMD that this CPU can get
> up to
> 90 degrees. My MoBo is an ASUS A7S333. My case has got a front fan pushing
> fresh
> air into the box and a lateral fan pulling the air out. Also, there is the
> power
> supply back fan. The lateral fan is on top of the CPU, but the air flow is
> samll.

Should'nt the Latteral fan blow cool air onto the CPU???

If it is pulling air out of the case, and as you said it is on top of the
cpu, then it would be fighting against the cpu coolig fan and this may cause
your cooling problem..

I have just built a computer for a friend and the case came with a side
(latteral) fan that sucked air in from the outside of the case and was
situated over the CPU, it accually has a shroud on it to guide the airflow
onto the cpu.

Wes Newell
February 22nd 06, 09:39 PM
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:50:23 -0300, Terere wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions. The cooler is the original I got with the box
> processor.

That's a part of the problem. The boxed XP coolers sucked. Barely adequate
under ideal conditions. Replace it with this and you'll probably see at
least a 20C drop.

http://www.dealsonic.com/trdbythtr2m3.html

Ed Light
February 22nd 06, 09:52 PM
"Wes Newell" > wrote

> That's a part of the problem. The boxed XP coolers sucked. Barely adequate
> under ideal conditions. Replace it with this and you'll probably see at
> least a 20C drop.
>
> http://www.dealsonic.com/trdbythtr2m3.html

Be sure to check that the bottom plate is screwed on tightly.

Wes, I still haven't been south to install the tr3 on my friend's system.
But the bottom plate was actually loose.

I hooked up the fan on it the other day and was surprised how quiet it is.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Wes Newell
February 23rd 06, 07:34 AM
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:28:34 -0800, Ed Light wrote:

> "Ed Light" > wrote
>
>> Wes, I still haven't been south to install the tr3 on my friend's system.
>> But the bottom plate was actually loose.
>
> tr2-m3 I mean.

Doesn't really matter much unless the screws fall out. Once installed it's
not going anywhere squeezed between the cpu and aluminum HS. I'm also
usiing the TR2-M6 on the A64. It's just as quiet, and just as cheap.:-)

Ed Light
February 23rd 06, 11:28 PM
"Wes Newell" > wrote
>>> Wes, I still haven't been south to install the tr3 on my friend's
>>> system.
>>> But the bottom plate was actually loose.
>>
>> tr2-m3 I mean.
>
> Doesn't really matter much unless the screws fall out. Once installed it's
> not going anywhere squeezed between the cpu and aluminum HS. I'm also
> usiing the TR2-M6 on the A64. It's just as quiet, and just as cheap.:-)

What sort of temps do you get under load, and what core do you have?

Maybe it's good enough to just take the fan off and make an aluminum tape
duct to the case fan.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Wes Newell
February 24th 06, 07:30 AM
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:28:32 -0800, Ed Light wrote:

> "Wes Newell" > wrote
>> Doesn't really matter much unless the screws fall out. Once installed it's
>> not going anywhere squeezed between the cpu and aluminum HS. I'm also
>> usiing the TR2-M6 on the A64. It's just as quiet, and just as cheap.:-)
>
> What sort of temps do you get under load, and what core do you have?

754 3000+ hammer. 47-48C. Still using the same old WB grease.:-)

> Maybe it's good enough to just take the fan off and make an aluminum
> tape duct to the case fan.

The fan doesn't make enough noise to matter, but the outside air would
help.

Terere
February 24th 06, 06:16 PM
tazman wrote:

> "Terere" > wrote in message ...
> > My Athlon XP 2000+ (Thnderbird, I think) runs at 77 degrees Celsius during
> > film
> > conversion and MB stays at 35 degrees. I read at AMD that this CPU can get
> > up to
> > 90 degrees. My MoBo is an ASUS A7S333. My case has got a front fan pushing
> > fresh
> > air into the box and a lateral fan pulling the air out. Also, there is the
> > power
> > supply back fan. The lateral fan is on top of the CPU, but the air flow is
> > samll.
> >
> Should'nt the Latteral fan blow cool air onto the CPU???
>
> If it is pulling air out of the case, and as you said it is on top of the
> cpu, then it would be fighting against the cpu coolig fan and this may cause
> your cooling problem..
>
> I have just built a computer for a friend and the case came with a side
> (latteral) fan that sucked air in from the outside of the case and was
> situated over the CPU, it accually has a shroud on it to guide the airflow
> onto the cpu.

I will have a look at the fan, too. Thanks a lot for your input.

Ed Light
February 25th 06, 12:06 AM
"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:28:32 -0800, Ed Light wrote:
>

>> "Wes Newell" > wrote
>>> Doesn't really matter much unless the screws fall out. Once installed
>>> it's
>>> not going anywhere squeezed between the cpu and aluminum HS. I'm also
>>> usiing the TR2-M6 on the A64. It's just as quiet, and just as cheap.:-)
>>
>> What sort of temps do you get under load, and what core do you have?
>>
> 754 3000+ hammer. 47-48C. Still using the same old WB grease.:-)
>
>> Maybe it's good enough to just take the fan off and make an aluminum
>> tape duct to the case fan.
>
> The fan doesn't make enough noise to matter, but the outside air would
> help.

Actually, I mean that the case fan blows out and sucks the cpu heat out
through the duct, so it never circulates in the case.

I'm doing that and my hard drive is at 16C. !! Wow.

The caveat is that the motherboard power regulation stuff doesn't get blown
on. But I think the psu and the cpu heatsink are sucking enough air over it.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Terere
March 1st 06, 06:07 PM
tazman wrote:

> "Terere" > wrote in message ...
> > My Athlon XP 2000+ (Thnderbird, I think) runs at 77 degrees Celsius during
> > film
> > conversion and MB stays at 35 degrees. I read at AMD that this CPU can get
> > up to
> > 90 degrees. My MoBo is an ASUS A7S333. My case has got a front fan pushing
> > fresh
> > air into the box and a lateral fan pulling the air out. Also, there is the
> > power
> > supply back fan. The lateral fan is on top of the CPU, but the air flow is
> > samll.
> >
> Should'nt the Latteral fan blow cool air onto the CPU???
>
> If it is pulling air out of the case, and as you said it is on top of the
> cpu, then it would be fighting against the cpu coolig fan and this may cause
> your cooling problem..
>
> I have just built a computer for a friend and the case came with a side
> (latteral) fan that sucked air in from the outside of the case and was
> situated over the CPU, it accually has a shroud on it to guide the airflow
> onto the cpu.

tazman,
I tested the case fan and found out that it was blowing air out of the case. So,
I reversed the fan and now the maximum temperature I get while converting films
is 67 degrees Celsius, which is a bit too high. Also, the case fan is very weak
to say the least, and I will try to find another fan. I will also move the case
to a different place.

All in all, thank you very much for suggestions and help.