PDA

View Full Version : Suggested lowend 754 motherboards?

Jerry McBride
February 20th 06, 04:09 PM
Hey Everybody,

Would someone suggest to me a low end socket 754 motherboard? I don't really
need all the bells and whistles, just socket 754, support for 2 double
sided 1gig pc3200 ddr memory and pci slots with perhaps an agp slot tossed
into the mix...

Yeah, old school technology. It's going to pull some light server duty and
the "other frills" will go wasted...

I'm looked at the ECS K8M800-M2, but the thing requires single sided (single
rank) ddr's if you want to populate the two memory sockets with 1gig pc3200
sticks, otherwise it down shifts to pc2700 speeds... Yeah right, easy and
cheap to find...

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance.

--

Jerry McBride

Bill's Dead
February 20th 06, 06:47 PM
"Jerry McBride" > wrote in message

> Hey Everybody,
>
> Would someone suggest to me a low end socket 754 motherboard? I don't
> really
> need all the bells and whistles, just socket 754, support for 2 double
> sided 1gig pc3200 ddr memory and pci slots with perhaps an agp slot tossed
> into the mix...
>
> Yeah, old school technology. It's going to pull some light server duty and
> the "other frills" will go wasted...
>
> I'm looked at the ECS K8M800-M2, but the thing requires single sided
> (single
> rank) ddr's if you want to populate the two memory sockets with 1gig
> pc3200
> sticks, otherwise it down shifts to pc2700 speeds... Yeah right, easy and
> cheap to find...
>
> Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for me?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --
>
> Jerry McBride

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/epox-8kda3+/

dark_ryan
February 20th 06, 08:33 PM
"Jerry McBride" > wrote in message

> Hey Everybody,
>
> Would someone suggest to me a low end socket 754 motherboard? I don't
really
> need all the bells and whistles, just socket 754, support for 2 double
> sided 1gig pc3200 ddr memory and pci slots with perhaps an agp slot tossed
> into the mix...
>
> Yeah, old school technology. It's going to pull some light server duty and
> the "other frills" will go wasted...
>
> I'm looked at the ECS K8M800-M2, but the thing requires single sided
(single
> rank) ddr's if you want to populate the two memory sockets with 1gig
pc3200
> sticks, otherwise it down shifts to pc2700 speeds... Yeah right, easy and
> cheap to find...
>
> Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for me?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --
>
> Jerry McBride

I have a reccomendation. I would look at the ASUS Motherboards because they
are fast with value, I have seen them for under $100.

* * Chas
February 20th 06, 09:39 PM
"Jerry McBride" > wrote in message

> Hey Everybody,
>
> Would someone suggest to me a low end socket 754 motherboard? I don't
really
> need all the bells and whistles, just socket 754, support for 2 double
> sided 1gig pc3200 ddr memory and pci slots with perhaps an agp slot
tossed
> into the mix...
>
> Yeah, old school technology. It's going to pull some light server duty
and
> the "other frills" will go wasted...
>
> I'm looked at the ECS K8M800-M2, but the thing requires single sided
(single
> rank) ddr's if you want to populate the two memory sockets with 1gig
pc3200
> sticks, otherwise it down shifts to pc2700 speeds... Yeah right, easy
and
> cheap to find...
>
> Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for me?

Look at an Asus K8N-E (not the K8N-E Deluxe). It has minimum bells and
whistles, onboard gigabit LAN and Serial ATA RAID with 2 SATA ports.

You will probably have a hard time finding premium quality single sided
512MB 3200 DIMMs. It's almost impossible to get PC3200 400Mhz
performance out of most Socket754 mobos using double sided DIMMs.

Chas.

Wes Newell
February 21st 06, 01:35 AM
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:09:38 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

> Would someone suggest to me a low end socket 754 motherboard? I don't really
> need all the bells and whistles, just socket 754, support for 2 double
> sided 1gig pc3200 ddr memory and pci slots with perhaps an agp slot tossed
> into the mix...

If you aren't going to overclock, then any of them should be OK. If you
are planning on overclocking, then you'll have to check the features of
each board and get a later chipset. Any board with the NF3-250 should be
fine.

> Yeah, old school technology. It's going to pull some light server duty
> and the "other frills" will go wasted...

Then I doubt you'll be ovclocking. Any should do fine.

> I'm looked at the ECS K8M800-M2, but the thing requires single sided
> (single rank) ddr's if you want to populate the two memory sockets with
> 1gig pc3200 sticks, otherwise it down shifts to pc2700 speeds... Yeah
> right, easy and cheap to find...

The memory controller's in the CPU. Hard to fix.:-)

Fry's has a board/cpu combo on sale til tommorow for $89. NF3-250 and
Sempron 3100+. Should be just what you want if you have a Fry's near.

Ed Light
February 21st 06, 01:37 AM
Everyone loves this little baby (but it's pci express and has a 24-pin power
socket):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138268

It overclocks Semprons like mad.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Ed Light
February 21st 06, 05:34 AM
"Ed Light" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Everyone loves this little baby (but it's pci express and has a 24-pin
> power socket):
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138268
>
> It overclocks Semprons like mad.

Perhaps I should qualify that to Palermos.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\