PDA

View Full Version : Temp of Dual core system

tazman
February 18th 06, 02:56 PM
I have recently built the following computer :

AMD dual core 64 bit 4200+
ASUS 8AN-SLI mobo
2 gig Hynix DDR ram
256Meg 6600GT Pcie vid card
250Gig SATA-II Maxtor HD (16meg buffer)
Thermaltake 450 W power supply

this sits in a Full tower case with a fan sucking cool air in at the front.
and a second fan at the back blowing warm air out of the case.

Now when at idle the CPU temp sits around 52c and the mobo chipset around
39c

When fully loaded, with both cores reporting 100% loading (running 2 seti
programs at once) the CPU temp shoots right up to around 79c

Are these typical temps for the dual core? or is there a problem.

The CPU is using the standard AMD heat sink and fan that came with the CPU.
and was installed using the stock thermal pad that came with it.

Has anyone had any experiance with water cooling.. Have had a look at a
Thermaltake unit and may just invest in one.

Cheers and Beers

Taz

General Schvantzkoph
February 18th 06, 03:22 PM
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 21:56:43 +0800, tazman wrote:

> I have recently built the following computer :
>
> AMD dual core 64 bit 4200+
> ASUS 8AN-SLI mobo
> 2 gig Hynix DDR ram
> 256Meg 6600GT Pcie vid card
> 250Gig SATA-II Maxtor HD (16meg buffer)
> Thermaltake 450 W power supply
>
> this sits in a Full tower case with a fan sucking cool air in at the front.
> and a second fan at the back blowing warm air out of the case.
>
> Now when at idle the CPU temp sits around 52c and the mobo chipset around
> 39c
>
> When fully loaded, with both cores reporting 100% loading (running 2 seti
> programs at once) the CPU temp shoots right up to around 79c
>
> Are these typical temps for the dual core? or is there a problem.
>
> The CPU is using the standard AMD heat sink and fan that came with the CPU.
> and was installed using the stock thermal pad that came with it.
>

> Has anyone had any experiance with water cooling.. Have had a look at a
> Thermaltake unit and may just invest in one.
>

> Cheers and Beers
>
> Taz

Those temperatures are way to high. I have a 4400+, with both cores
running at 100% the highest I've seen it go it 40C. Are you sure that your
case fans aren't fighting each other? As a quick check unplug one fan and
see what happens to your temperatures.

Lee Waun
February 18th 06, 06:46 PM
"tazman" > wrote in message
>I have recently built the following computer :
>
> AMD dual core 64 bit 4200+
> ASUS 8AN-SLI mobo
> 2 gig Hynix DDR ram
> 256Meg 6600GT Pcie vid card
> 250Gig SATA-II Maxtor HD (16meg buffer)
> Thermaltake 450 W power supply
>
> this sits in a Full tower case with a fan sucking cool air in at the
> front.
> and a second fan at the back blowing warm air out of the case.
>
> Now when at idle the CPU temp sits around 52c and the mobo chipset around
> 39c
>
> When fully loaded, with both cores reporting 100% loading (running 2 seti
> programs at once) the CPU temp shoots right up to around 79c
>
> Are these typical temps for the dual core? or is there a problem.

You must have a big problem. I have a brand new x2 3800+ dual core and using
cool and quiet I am running at 20C right now. I have never got this core to
get above 37C. It replaced a clawhammer 3500+ that would idle at 29C and go
up to 51C at full load. This dual core runs so cool I question wether I even
need cool and quiet running.

> The CPU is using the standard AMD heat sink and fan that came with the
> CPU. and was installed using the stock thermal pad that came with it.
>

> Has anyone had any experiance with water cooling.. Have had a look at a
> Thermaltake unit and may just invest in one.
>

> Cheers and Beers
>
> Taz

NoNoBadDog!
February 18th 06, 09:48 PM
"tazman" > wrote in message
>I have recently built the following computer :
>
> AMD dual core 64 bit 4200+
> ASUS 8AN-SLI mobo
> 2 gig Hynix DDR ram
> 256Meg 6600GT Pcie vid card
> 250Gig SATA-II Maxtor HD (16meg buffer)
> Thermaltake 450 W power supply
>
> this sits in a Full tower case with a fan sucking cool air in at the
> front.
> and a second fan at the back blowing warm air out of the case.
>
> Now when at idle the CPU temp sits around 52c and the mobo chipset around
> 39c
>
> When fully loaded, with both cores reporting 100% loading (running 2 seti
> programs at once) the CPU temp shoots right up to around 79c
>
> Are these typical temps for the dual core? or is there a problem.
>
> The CPU is using the standard AMD heat sink and fan that came with the
> CPU. and was installed using the stock thermal pad that came with it.
>

> Has anyone had any experiance with water cooling.. Have had a look at a
> Thermaltake unit and may just invest in one.
>

> Cheers and Beers
>
> Taz

Have you loaded the processor driver and enabled Cool n' Quiet, both under
the BIOS and under windows?

Sounds like you have not enabled Cool n' Quiet, and the processor is running
at full voltage and frequency all the time.

My dual core, with the standard CPU cooler, rarely goes above 40 degrees. I
have only two 120mm fans, one intake and one output. I am running 4 HDD and
two opticals.

Bobby

Wes Newell
February 19th 06, 02:05 AM
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 21:56:43 +0800, tazman wrote:

> I have recently built the following computer :
>
> AMD dual core 64 bit 4200+
> ASUS 8AN-SLI mobo
> 2 gig Hynix DDR ram
> 256Meg 6600GT Pcie vid card
> 250Gig SATA-II Maxtor HD (16meg buffer)
> Thermaltake 450 W power supply
>
> this sits in a Full tower case with a fan sucking cool air in at the front.
> and a second fan at the back blowing warm air out of the case.
>
> Now when at idle the CPU temp sits around 52c and the mobo chipset around
> 39c
>
> When fully loaded, with both cores reporting 100% loading (running 2 seti
> programs at once) the CPU temp shoots right up to around 79c
>
> Are these typical temps for the dual core? or is there a problem.

There's a problem, but probably with your temp sensors, as the cpu would
have shut itself down long before reaching 79C I think. Either that are
you don't have the cpu cooler on correct.

> The CPU is using the standard AMD heat sink and fan that came with the
> CPU. and was installed using the stock thermal pad that came with it.

Plenty good enough.

> Has anyone had any experiance with water cooling.. Have had a look at a
> Thermaltake unit and may just invest in one.

most commercial water coolers under $200 won't work much better than air.
Forget it. You don't need water cooling. Just find an fix the problem. If
the cpu cooler is mounted correctly, I'd suggest a bios update. Some
bioses reported wrong temps. Or if you're using a program to read the
temps, it could be configured for the wrong sensors.

VanShania
February 19th 06, 02:41 AM
Maybe your fan is on backwards.

--
[email protected]
PC3200 Samsung 512mb, SB Live OEM

Overall Score-2066, cpu_score-2926
in 3DMark2005 basic 1078X768, No AA

"tazman" > wrote in message
> I have recently built the following computer :
>
> AMD dual core 64 bit 4200+
> ASUS 8AN-SLI mobo
> 2 gig Hynix DDR ram
> 256Meg 6600GT Pcie vid card
> 250Gig SATA-II Maxtor HD (16meg buffer)
> Thermaltake 450 W power supply
>
> this sits in a Full tower case with a fan sucking cool air in at the
front.
> and a second fan at the back blowing warm air out of the case.
>
> Now when at idle the CPU temp sits around 52c and the mobo chipset around
> 39c
>
> When fully loaded, with both cores reporting 100% loading (running 2 seti
> programs at once) the CPU temp shoots right up to around 79c
>
> Are these typical temps for the dual core? or is there a problem.
>
> The CPU is using the standard AMD heat sink and fan that came with the
CPU.
> and was installed using the stock thermal pad that came with it.
>

> Has anyone had any experiance with water cooling.. Have had a look at a
> Thermaltake unit and may just invest in one.
>

> Cheers and Beers
>
> Taz

tazman
February 19th 06, 12:50 PM

> most commercial water coolers under $200 won't work much better than air.
> Forget it. You don't need water cooling. Just find an fix the problem. If
> the cpu cooler is mounted correctly, I'd suggest a bios update.

Done . got the lattest bios

Some
> bioses reported wrong temps. Or if you're using a program to read the
> temps, it could be configured for the wrong sensors.
>
> --

Bios is reporting the same as ASUS probe..

did a little test...

Turned the computer off and let is sit for 3 hours to cool down...

On start up I went into bios and checked the temps, and the bios showed that
the cpu temp was sitting at 36c. the ambient temp was 23c, so I think the
bios is reading the temp wrong..

Doug Lynn
February 19th 06, 03:23 PM
Hi, you said at idle your case temperature is 39C thats way too high, try
cooling the case more, just make sure you have more exhaust fans than intake
or equal CPM in and out. Never more intake CFM than exhaust. Higher case
temps or amibient temps push your cpu temp that much higher.

doug
www.lynncomp.com

"tazman" > wrote in message
>I have recently built the following computer :
>
> AMD dual core 64 bit 4200+
> ASUS 8AN-SLI mobo
> 2 gig Hynix DDR ram
> 256Meg 6600GT Pcie vid card
> 250Gig SATA-II Maxtor HD (16meg buffer)
> Thermaltake 450 W power supply
>
> this sits in a Full tower case with a fan sucking cool air in at the
> front.
> and a second fan at the back blowing warm air out of the case.
>
> Now when at idle the CPU temp sits around 52c and the mobo chipset around
> 39c
>
> When fully loaded, with both cores reporting 100% loading (running 2 seti
> programs at once) the CPU temp shoots right up to around 79c
>
> Are these typical temps for the dual core? or is there a problem.
>
> The CPU is using the standard AMD heat sink and fan that came with the
> CPU. and was installed using the stock thermal pad that came with it.
>

> Has anyone had any experiance with water cooling.. Have had a look at a
> Thermaltake unit and may just invest in one.
>

> Cheers and Beers
>
> Taz

tazman
February 20th 06, 03:24 AM
"Bill" > wrote in message
> tazman wrote:
>
>>Bios is reporting the same as ASUS probe..
>>
>>did a little test...
>>
>>Turned the computer off and let is sit for 3 hours to cool down...
>>
>>On start up I went into bios and checked the temps, and the bios showed
>>that
>>the cpu temp was sitting at 36c. the ambient temp was 23c, so I think the
>>bios is reading the temp wrong..
>
> Do you mean you think it WAS reading it wrong and now it's reading
> properly?
>
> That's a typical CPU temp for a 64x2. My x2 3800+ idled at about the
> same temp with the stock cooler.
>
> What do you get now when the CPU is 100% loaded?

Ok what I should have said that it was reading 36c as soon as I turned it
on, but quickly rose to 52c in a matter of minutes and then sat there..

100% loaded it still shows 75c +.

system is not over clocked and cool and quiet is enabled...

Andrew MacPherson
February 20th 06, 08:19 AM
(tazman) wrote:

> 100% loaded it still shows 75c +.

I'd be inclined to open up the case and put my finger on the heatsink
(being careful with static etc., obviously). That seems far too high, and
your finger may give you an idea of whether that 75 is being reported
genuinely or not.

If it *is* genuine, then there's got to be something wrong with your
heatsink. Maybe there's a big gap in the thermal paste where a hot-spot
can develop?

Andrew McP

PS Disclaimer: if you burn your finger, develop a nasty wound, get
gangrene, and lose the arm, I'm not responsible, ok? ;-)

Wes Newell
February 20th 06, 10:15 AM
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:24:10 +0800, tazman wrote:

> Ok what I should have said that it was reading 36c as soon as I turned it
> on, but quickly rose to 52c in a matter of minutes and then sat there..

If this is the bios readings then I'd say you have a problem with the
cooler, bios, or cpu. If this is a program reading after the OS has loaded
then it may not be configured correctly

> 100% loaded it still shows 75c +.

Now this has to be an OS reading. And I'm also pretty sure the CPU would
shut itself down if it actually were 75C. When I lost the fan on my 3000+
the cpu shut itself down somewhere just above 61C. By the elapsed time
from seeing 61C, I'd guess it shut down somewhere around 65C. Yeah, I
watched it climb from about 40C to shutdown just to see if it would work.
It did.:-) ACtually, it was climbing so slowly I thought I could get the
fan replace before it would shut down. Didn't see any sense in manually
shutting it down just to change a dead fan.:-)

> system is not over clocked and cool and quiet is enabled...

You have to do more than just enable CnQ in the bios. It requires control
software. You can download it from AMD for windows.

Wes Newell
February 20th 06, 10:18 AM
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:19:00 +0000, Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> PS Disclaimer: if you burn your finger, develop a nasty wound, get
> gangrene, and lose the arm, I'm not responsible, ok? ;-)

And 75C is going to be hot enough so you won't leave your finger there
long.:-)

Andrew MacPherson
February 20th 06, 11:15 AM
(Wes Newell) wrote:

> And 75C is going to be hot enough so you won't leave your
> finger there long.:-)

Exactly. If the heatsink's too hot to touch comfortably then there's
definitely something wrong with the cooling.

Andrew McP

tazman
February 20th 06, 11:56 AM
May have solved the problem. happened to find the AMD spec page for the
processor and it said that the max temp was 49-71deg c.

It also gave details of all the operating specs.. including vcore. Which it
listed as being between 1.3v and 1.35v.

Checked mine and it was running at between 1.37v and 1.4v. Had a look in the
bios setting and it was set to auto for the voltage settings.

Changed that to manual and set the voltage for 1.3v. After rebooting had a
look and was surprised to see the same value being reported for vcore
(1.37v).

Decided to check the bios again and found that it was still set the way I
had. But this time I disabled the cool and quiet function. Did the old
reboot and what do you know.. Vcore now reporting as 1.34v and the temp had
dropped..

Went back into bios and set the vcore lower to 1.25v and rebooted..

Vcore now showing 1.29v and the temp has come down again.

Ran the seti program and have had it running now for 2 hours and the max
temp is now 64degc (well inside AMD's temp range)

So it looks like it was a combination of the cool and quiet and the AUTO
setting in the BIOS causing the problem..

Still may look at a water cooler to see If I can get the temp down a little
more.

Cheers and Beers

Taz

Wes Newell
February 20th 06, 01:12 PM
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:15:00 +0000, Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> (Wes Newell) wrote:
>
>> And 75C is going to be hot enough so you won't leave your
>> finger there long.:-)
>
> Exactly. If the heatsink's too hot to touch comfortably then there's
> definitely something wrong with the cooling.

Actually, if the HS is hot then you know the HS is seated properly and you
just need a better fan or cooler. If it's cold and the cpu is hot then
it's a good chance the HS is not seated on the cpu properly.

Wes Newell
February 20th 06, 01:51 PM
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:56:57 +0800, tazman wrote:

> May have solved the problem. happened to find the AMD spec page for the
> processor and it said that the max temp was 49-71deg c.

Max temp would be a single number, not a range. I think it's called T-case
temp. Ahh, so now you use Tcontrol 70C max for dual core.

> It also gave details of all the operating specs.. including vcore. Which
> it listed as being between 1.3v and 1.35v.
> Checked mine and it was running at between 1.37v and 1.4v. Had a look in
> the bios setting and it was set to auto for the voltage settings.
> Changed that to manual and set the voltage for 1.3v. After rebooting had
> a look and was surprised to see the same value being reported for vcore
> (1.37v).

You should have left that alone.

> Decided to check the bios again and found that it was still set the way
> I had. But this time I disabled the cool and quiet function. Did the old
> reboot and what do you know.. Vcore now reporting as 1.34v and the temp
> had dropped..
> Went back into bios and set the vcore lower to 1.25v and rebooted..

You're flirting with instability, not to mention CnQ didn't function on my
old hammer core when I changed vcore.

> Vcore now showing 1.29v and the temp has come down again.

Sure. Lowering voltage will always lower temps.

> Ran the seti program and have had it running now for 2 hours and the max
> temp is now 64degc (well inside AMD's temp range)

No, I'd call well inside the range at about 50C or less.:-)

> So it looks like it was a combination of the cool and quiet and the AUTO
> setting in the BIOS causing the problem..

To be honest, you didn't fix the problem. you made adjustments to decrease
the temp. Under load that CPU shouldn't go over 50C.

tazman
February 20th 06, 02:40 PM
"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:56:57 +0800, tazman wrote:
>
>> May have solved the problem. happened to find the AMD spec page for the
>> processor and it said that the max temp was 49-71deg c.
>>
> Max temp would be a single number, not a range. I think it's called T-case
> temp. Ahh, so now you use Tcontrol 70C max for dual core.

Ok check this out and read what it says under max temp

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADA4200DAA5BV

>> It also gave details of all the operating specs.. including vcore. Which
>> it listed as being between 1.3v and 1.35v.
>> Checked mine and it was running at between 1.37v and 1.4v. Had a look in
>> the bios setting and it was set to auto for the voltage settings.
>> Changed that to manual and set the voltage for 1.3v. After rebooting had
>> a look and was surprised to see the same value being reported for vcore
>> (1.37v).
>>
> You should have left that alone.

Well dosn't cool and quiet work by lowering the vcore voltage?????

>> Decided to check the bios again and found that it was still set the way
>> I had. But this time I disabled the cool and quiet function. Did the old
>> reboot and what do you know.. Vcore now reporting as 1.34v and the temp
>> had dropped..
>> Went back into bios and set the vcore lower to 1.25v and rebooted..
>>
> You're flirting with instability, not to mention CnQ didn't function on my
> old hammer core when I changed vcore.

Not going to re-enable it............ and system is quite stable.......

>> Vcore now showing 1.29v and the temp has come down again.
>>
> Sure. Lowering voltage will always lower temps.

hence the way that cool and quiet works....

>> Ran the seti program and have had it running now for 2 hours and the max
>> temp is now 64degc (well inside AMD's temp range)
>>
> No, I'd call well inside the range at about 50C or less.:-)
>
>> So it looks like it was a combination of the cool and quiet and the AUTO
>> setting in the BIOS causing the problem..
>>
> To be honest, you didn't fix the problem. you made adjustments to decrease
> the temp. Under load that CPU shouldn't go over 50C.

And your basing this on??????

General Schvantzkoph
February 20th 06, 05:08 PM
Take the side off of the case and see what happens. It sounds like you
have a problem with your case fans, taking the side of the case off will
confirm it. With the side off you should see a much lower rise in
temperature.

Wes Newell
February 21st 06, 01:17 AM
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:51:32 -0600, Ed wrote:

> Agree about adjustments, but for all you know his room temp could be 30C
> , it's not easy to keep a CPU cool in a hot room!

I think he stated earlier that room temp was 26C.

General Schvantzkoph
February 24th 06, 11:48 PM
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 06:12:15 +0800, tazman wrote:

>> most commercial water coolers under $200 won't work much better than air.
>> Forget it. You don't need water cooling. Just find an fix the problem. If
>> the cpu cooler is mounted correctly, I'd suggest a bios update. Some
>> bioses reported wrong temps. Or if you're using a program to read the
>> temps, it could be configured for the wrong sensors.
>>
>> --
>> Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
>> http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
>> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
>>

> Well I have now got Water cooling. Installed a Thermaltake Bigwater and now
> have alot cooler temps.
>
> System is now sitting at 55c (down from over 70c) fully loaded. This is with
> the 12cm fan turned right down (1200RPM) and it is also alot quieter that it
> was with the stock cooler on. With the fan at full speed (2400RPM) the temp
> drops to 52c. The chipset temp also dropped to 37c (down from 46c when
> loaded..)
>
> When at Idle The temp drops to around 32c on both the CPU and the Chipset.
>
> So overall the $145 water cooling system is working better than the stock
> cooling fan. So this cooling system must be on of the exceptions to the "
> most commercial water coolers under $200 won't work much better than air."
>
> Cheers and Beers
>
> Taz

How hot is your room? My 4400+ CPU never goes over 40C with an ordinary
air cooling, it idles at 30C. Either you have your system in a steambath
or there is something wrong with your temperature sensors.