PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Core Socket 754

* * Chas
February 18th 06, 12:40 AM
Has any one here tried overclocking a Socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
Core?

It's running in an Asus K8N-E with the latest BIOS, 2 x 512MB Corsair
TwinX C2 memory and an older nVidia GeForce AGP 4x video card.
Everything is running at stock settings except I have the memory at 2.8v
and the timing at 2.2.2.5.

I initially had some problems with this CPU and was about to RMA it. It
started working OK (tried it in 2 different boards). Now that the system
is up an running I decided to see what the Venice core would do,
especially since I have a 3 year warranty.

Just changing the multiplier, the most that I can get is 2100MHz. Beyond
that it wont post and I have to reboot and reset the BIOS.

How fast should I be able to run this CPU?

Chas.

Ed Light
February 18th 06, 06:02 AM
Should be able to get it up to 2400.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-3100-oc.html

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Ed Light
February 18th 06, 06:04 AM
And

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=300

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Ed Light
February 18th 06, 06:40 AM
As you'll see from those articles,

the multiplier is locked upwards (not downwards to allow cool'n'quiet) but
you raise the clock from 200 upwards.
This drags the hypertransport and memory along, so you set them slow such
that the clock brings them up again. Don't pass their normal speed when
beginning. First lock the memory timings or when you set it slow they may
tighten up, not expecting that you're about to speed up the clock.

The cpu may need a little more voltage.

If you can run prime95 overnight with no errors it's pretty stable, but
continue on for 24 hours.

That's the very basics. Best to read the articles before beginning.

You might first aim for a clock of 240. If you set pc3200 back to pc2700,
then at 240 it will be at or near pc3200 again.
You would have set your hypertransport back to 3x from 4x, so it would be
3x240 or 720. It's ok if the hypertransport runs slow because it's overkill
already.

Good luck.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Wes Newell
February 18th 06, 10:11 AM
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:40:07 -0800, * * Chas wrote:

> Has any one here tried overclocking a Socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
> Core?

I've overclcoked my old hammer core 754 3000+ to 2330MHz in this old
Jetway 755MAX (sis755 chipset). But that was a long time ago when others
couldn't figure out how to do it on any board.:-)

> Just changing the multiplier, the most that I can get is 2100MHz. Beyond
> that it wont post and I have to reboot and reset the BIOS.

Now I'm wondering how you changed the multiplier. I thought it was locked
at 10x max. So it worked at 10.5?

> How fast should I be able to run this CPU?

Well, if it's a Venice core it should go pretty high. With one exception
it's the same as overclocking any cpu. multiplier times system clock = CPU
core speed. You know you may need to raise vcore and lower the base ram
speed to keep it in limits. The only other thing is the FSB HT link speed.
it defaults to either 4x (800), and it must be lowered to compensate for
the raise in clock speed, so lower it to 3x (600) and you should be good
there for up to about a 275 or so system clock.

* * Chas
February 18th 06, 10:23 PM
"Ed Light" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> As you'll see from those articles,
>
> the multiplier is locked upwards (not downwards to allow cool'n'quiet)
but
> you raise the clock from 200 upwards.
> This drags the hypertransport and memory along, so you set them slow
such
> that the clock brings them up again. Don't pass their normal speed
when
> beginning. First lock the memory timings or when you set it slow they
may
> tighten up, not expecting that you're about to speed up the clock.
>
> The cpu may need a little more voltage.
>
> If you can run prime95 overnight with no errors it's pretty stable,
but
> continue on for 24 hours.
>
> That's the very basics. Best to read the articles before beginning.
>
> You might first aim for a clock of 240. If you set pc3200 back to
pc2700,
> then at 240 it will be at or near pc3200 again.
> You would have set your hypertransport back to 3x from 4x, so it would
be
> 3x240 or 720. It's ok if the hypertransport runs slow because it's
overkill
> already.
>
> Good luck.
> --
> Ed Light

Thanks for all of the good info. I'll give it a try again.

Chas.