PDA

View Full Version : no post

AKA Gray Asphalt
February 14th 06, 09:34 PM
I've got 2 1-gig sticks of memory. The post stops at mem when it should go
to:memory 2 gigs, etc. I removed one of the sticks, same problem, replaced
it with the other, no post. Do I have a motherboard problem? Could it be the
Video card since the partial post shows up on the screen and it is so early
in the POST? Of the last 5 attempts, it did POST once.

Gigabyte motherboard
Do you need any other details?

Wesley
February 16th 06, 09:16 AM
do led light on ?

do PSU spin on ?

Mal
February 16th 06, 10:32 AM
"AKA Gray Asphalt" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've got 2 1-gig sticks of memory. The post stops at mem when it should go
> to:memory 2 gigs, etc. I removed one of the sticks, same problem, replaced
> it with the other, no post. Do I have a motherboard problem? Could it be
> the Video card since the partial post shows up on the screen and it is so
> early in the POST? Of the last 5 attempts, it did POST once.
>
> Gigabyte motherboard
> Do you need any other details?

the video card info is always the first thing that shows up during POST
before you get to the memory count and hard drives etc. after all if the
video card didn't start up you wouldn't see anything :)

do either of the memory sticks work in another machine? ... or do you have
memory that you can try in yours that you know work (maybe from another pc?)
.... if both sticks and the mobo are new there's no way to tell if it's the
mobo sockets or the memory sticks themselves that are faulty / incompatible.

hope this helps

Mal

AKA Gray Asphalt
February 18th 06, 05:04 AM
Yes, It turned out to be that one of the USB hubs plugged in stopped the
post. Not sure if it's the hub, something attached to it, the USB circuit on
the motherboard, or something else.

"Wesley" > wrote in message
> do led light on ?
>
> do PSU spin on ?

AKA Gray Asphalt
February 18th 06, 05:05 AM
Thanks, it was a USB problem, yet to be narrowed down to actual cause.