PDA

View Full Version : Bad Athlon 64 3000+ ?

* * Chas
February 13th 06, 08:44 PM
I've built lots of systems. This weekend, I put together an Asus K8N-E
system
with an Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core CPU and a pair Corsair TwinX 512MB
DDR400 DIMMs.

I used a new AGP4x video card, new Seagate 120G IDE HDD and new PS to
get the system up and running. All BIOS settings were default and the
CPU was
running about 27C (81F).

While I was configuring the setup, I started having problems turning the
system off and on. After a while, it wouldn't POST at all.

I removed all of the components and tried booting. I couldn't even get
any beeps.

I tried the following:

3 different new power supplies including a new Antec True Power 430W PS

a new AGP video card and a new PCI video card

3 different known good DIMMs

I also went out and picked up a new K8N mobo as I wanted to finish the
setup and didn't want to wait a week or more for an RMA in case the
K8N-E
mobo was bad.

The K8N POSTed once and I adjusted the time in BIOS and then it wouldn't
POST again.

I suspect that the CPU is toast but I don't have another Socket 754 CPU
to try. Any suggestions

Can a bad CPU fry a mobo or other components? The last bad CPU that I
ran across was a 486!

Chas.

* * Chas
February 23rd 06, 09:30 PM
"* * Chas" > wrote in message
> I've built lots of systems. This weekend, I put together an Asus K8N-E
> system
> with an Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core CPU and a pair Corsair TwinX 512MB
> DDR400 DIMMs.
>
> I used a new AGP4x video card, new Seagate 120G IDE HDD and new PS to
> get the system up and running. All BIOS settings were default and the
> CPU was
> running about 27C (81F).
>
> While I was configuring the setup, I started having problems turning
the
> system off and on. After a while, it wouldn't POST at all.
>
> I removed all of the components and tried booting. I couldn't even get
> any beeps.
>
> I tried the following:
>
> 3 different new power supplies including a new Antec True Power 430W
PS

> a new AGP video card and a new PCI video card
>
> 3 different known good DIMMs
>
> I also went out and picked up a new K8N mobo as I wanted to finish the
> setup and didn't want to wait a week or more for an RMA in case the
> K8N-E
> mobo was bad.
>
> The K8N POSTed once and I adjusted the time in BIOS and then it
wouldn't
> POST again.
>
> I suspect that the CPU is toast but I don't have another Socket 754
CPU
> to try. Any suggestions
>
> Can a bad CPU fry a mobo or other components? The last bad CPU that I
> ran across was a 486!
>
> Chas.

I tried all of the components except the CPU on another mobo and they
all checked out good. I checked out the power Supplies with a PS Tester.
The Antec 430W True Power 430W "stuttered" the first couple of times
that I checked and I discovered that it didn't have a -5V lead in the
main 20/24 pin connector.

I put everything back together and it started up without a problem. I
ran several Prime95 tests for a day and a half, no problem.

Oh well......

Chas.