PDA

View Full Version : Help with comparisons of 2 machines

Sim E Terry
February 10th 06, 06:56 PM
I'm wanting a new 64 bit computer and am comparing these 2 machines.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ @ $869.00

VS

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ @ $669.00

Everything else is the same on both machines, 1GB Mem, 250GB drive (no
motherboard info in FRYs ad). Would the X2 Dual Core Prosessor be that much
faster the 3800+, justifying the $200.00 difference? Thanks for any help.

Sim E Terry
February 10th 06, 07:02 PM
Both are HP machines, by the way.

"Sim E Terry" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I'm wanting a new 64 bit computer and am comparing these 2 machines.
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ @ $869.00
>
> VS
>
> AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ @ $669.00
>
> Everything else is the same on both machines, 1GB Mem, 250GB drive (no
> motherboard info in FRYs ad). Would the X2 Dual Core Prosessor be that
> much faster the 3800+, justifying the $200.00 difference? Thanks for any
> help.

General Schvantzkoph
February 10th 06, 11:08 PM
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:56:25 +0000, Sim E Terry wrote:

> I'm wanting a new 64 bit computer and am comparing these 2 machines.
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ @ $869.00
>
> VS
>
> AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ @ $669.00
>
> Everything else is the same on both machines, 1GB Mem, 250GB drive (no
> motherboard info in FRYs ad). Would the X2 Dual Core Prosessor be that much
> faster the 3800+, justifying the $200.00 difference? Thanks for any help.

My choice for a dual core processor is the X2 4400+ which has 1M caches,
the X2 4200+ only has 1/2M caches. For a single core system I'd choose the
4000+ instead of the 3800+ for the same reason.

Wes Newell
February 10th 06, 11:44 PM
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:56:25 +0000, Sim E Terry wrote:

> I'm wanting a new 64 bit computer and am comparing these 2 machines.
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ @ $869.00
>
> VS
>
> AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ @ $669.00
>
> Everything else is the same on both machines, 1GB Mem, 250GB drive (no
> motherboard info in FRYs ad). Would the X2 Dual Core Prosessor be that much
> faster the 3800+, justifying the $200.00 difference? Thanks for any help.

Well, the $200 price difference isn't justified by the difference in CPU
price, as there's only $90 difference in price of them. That said, I think
you'll be happy with either of them.

Wes Newell
February 10th 06, 11:45 PM
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:02:31 +0000, Sim E Terry wrote:

> Both are HP machines, by the way.

I take everything I said back.

Sim E Terry
February 13th 06, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys. It helps.

"Sim E Terry" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I'm wanting a new 64 bit computer and am comparing these 2 machines.
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ @ $869.00
>
> VS
>
> AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ @ $669.00
>
> Everything else is the same on both machines, 1GB Mem, 250GB drive (no
> motherboard info in FRYs ad). Would the X2 Dual Core Prosessor be that
> much faster the 3800+, justifying the $200.00 difference? Thanks for any
> help.

dawg
February 13th 06, 10:51 PM
Why HP?They really aren't very good PC's.

"Sim E Terry" > wrote in message
t...
> Thanks for the info guys. It helps.
>

> "Sim E Terry" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > I'm wanting a new 64 bit computer and am comparing these 2 machines.
> >
> > AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ @ $869.00
> >
> > VS
> >
> > AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ @ $669.00
> >
> > Everything else is the same on both machines, 1GB Mem, 250GB drive (no
> > motherboard info in FRYs ad). Would the X2 Dual Core Prosessor be that
> > much faster the 3800+, justifying the $200.00 difference? Thanks for any
> > help.

General Schvantzkoph
February 13th 06, 11:16 PM
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:51:20 +0000, dawg wrote:

> Why HP?They really aren't very good PC's.
>
> "Sim E Terry" > wrote in message
> t...
>> Thanks for the info guys. It helps.
>>

>> "Sim E Terry" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...
>> > I'm wanting a new 64 bit computer and am comparing these 2 machines.
>> >
>> > AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ @ $869.00
>> >
>> > VS
>> >
>> > AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ @ $669.00
>> >
>> > Everything else is the same on both machines, 1GB Mem, 250GB drive (no
>> > motherboard info in FRYs ad). Would the X2 Dual Core Prosessor be that
>> > much faster the 3800+, justifying the $200.00 difference? Thanks for any
>> > help.

What makes you say that? I have two Compaq machines, a laptop with a 3400+
and a desktop with a 3800+, they've been solid as can be. I run all of my
systems 24/7, I haven't had any trouble. I've had the laptop for 18 months
and the desktop for 16. HP machines are a good value for the money, the
only reason to not buy from them is if they don't have the configuration
that you want. I got my X2 4400+ box from Monarch because HP didn't sell a
4400+ at the time, but my 3800+ system had exactly what I wanted at the
time (MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, a decent NVidia graphics card, better sound
then I needed, slots for every kind of flash card, Enermax power supply, a
good case (Wavemaster), 250G drive, DVD RW plus a second DVD ROM) and it
cost less then the individual components would have cost (I was pricing
the same hardware at NewEgg and Monarch when I saw this box at CompUSA).

VanShania
February 14th 06, 11:29 PM
Don't get the 4400X2. Your paying $100 for 512k of cache. Put this $100
towards another gig of ram or good dual channel stuff. This will make your
computer perform better than 512k of cache will.
--
[email protected]
PC3200 Samsung 512mb, SB Live OEM

Overall Score-2066, cpu_score-2926
in 3DMark2005 basic 1078X768, No AA

"Sim E Terry" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I'm wanting a new 64 bit computer and am comparing these 2 machines.
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ @ $869.00
>
> VS
>
> AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ @ $669.00
>
> Everything else is the same on both machines, 1GB Mem, 250GB drive (no
> motherboard info in FRYs ad). Would the X2 Dual Core Prosessor be that
much
> faster the 3800+, justifying the $200.00 difference? Thanks for any help.

VanShania
February 16th 06, 03:02 AM
Not according to AMD's charts

--

"Bill" > wrote in message ...
> VanShania wrote:
>
> >Don't get the 4400X2. Your paying $100 for 512k of cache. Put this $100
> >towards another gig of ram or good dual channel stuff. This will make
your
> >computer perform better than 512k of cache will.
>
> Depends on the intended use actually.
>
> For typical use, yes the extra RAM would be the better option. But if
> your needs include very intensive CPU calculations, then the faster
> processor and larger L1 cache may make a bigger difference than any
> amount of RAM.

VanShania
February 16th 06, 07:11 AM
I don't think you read at all. AMD did show their benchmarks that don't show
a "marked improvement" in their processors with 1 mb cache(2.5% remember?).