PDA

View Full Version : 64bit and games

Thomas Andersson
February 7th 06, 06:29 PM
Hi!

Asking for my brother who is upgrading to 64bit AMD now.
If he installs XP Pro 64bit does that affect gaming? (better/worse?) What do
you people use?
Any advice?

David Simpson
February 7th 06, 07:50 PM
"Thomas Andersson" > wrote in
:

> Hi!
>
> Asking for my brother who is upgrading to 64bit AMD now.
> If he installs XP Pro 64bit does that affect gaming? (better/worse?)
> What do you people use?
> Any advice?

I have XP Pro 64bit, and play a few games, and I would suggest you NOT
getting it. The drivers aren't as good, come out later, and for some
hardware, impossible to find. If you get a dual core, get the normal XP
Pro. Wait for the next Windoze (Vista?) to go 64 bit.

After saying all that, if the game he's going to play the most has a 64bit
version, and requires the 64bit OS, go for it. I've heard the 64bit
versions are better.

I haven't heard of any games that run easily on XP, having problems with
the 64bit versions, only driver problems.

/ David Simpson \
| |
| http://www.nyx.net/~dsimpson |
|We got to go to the crappy town where I'm a hero.|
\_______________________________________________/

Chinooks_FURY
February 7th 06, 10:41 PM
You will need games that are written for a 64 Bit system. Here's AMD's
link:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ComputingSolutions/0,,30_288_11054,00.html

dawg
February 13th 06, 11:02 PM
"Thomas Andersson" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Asking for my brother who is upgrading to 64bit AMD now.
> If he installs XP Pro 64bit does that affect gaming? (better/worse?) What
do
> you people use?
> Any advice?

Driver support for XP64 is lousy. sound,video,printers etc. It's all in the
early stages or non-existent. Stick with XP or W2K. AMD64 bit CPU's are just
fine running those OS'es and games.

David Simpson
February 14th 06, 02:42 PM
"dawg" <don't > wrote in
:
> "Thomas Andersson" > wrote in message
>> Asking for my brother who is upgrading to 64bit AMD now.
>> If he installs XP Pro 64bit does that affect gaming? (better/worse?)
>> What
> do
>> you people use?
>> Any advice?
> Driver support for XP64 is lousy. sound,video,printers etc. It's all
> in the early stages or non-existent. Stick with XP or W2K. AMD64 bit
> CPU's are just fine running those OS'es and games.

While I agree with only using XP64 only if you need it, I have to disagree
with ALL the drivers. The NVidia drivers are at the same version as the
32bit ones! It's the outside stuff (printers/scanners) that aren't up to
snuff. Though my Brother MFC-420CN works just fine.

/ David Simpson \
| |