PDA

View Full Version : Dual core games?

Boe
February 1st 06, 03:28 AM
The only time I find my processor being taxed is in some games. Are there
any games that are coming out soon that will take advantage of dual core
chips?

Thanks

Jared Richardson
February 1st 06, 04:33 PM
"Boe" > wrote in message
> The only time I find my processor being taxed is in some games. Are there
> any games that are coming out soon that will take advantage of dual core
> chips?
>
> Thanks

FEAR doesn't use both CPUs in my system. :(

Boe
February 1st 06, 06:14 PM
Bummer - I know that I need a better video card (850 currently) But I was
hoping that the CPUs would help soon. FEAR is currently my standard by
which all other games are judged. (I've tried Doom3, Quake4, Half Life2,
COD2, FarCry)

"Jared Richardson" > wrote in message

> "Boe" > wrote in message
>> The only time I find my processor being taxed is in some games. Are
>> there any games that are coming out soon that will take advantage of dual
>> core chips?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> FEAR doesn't use both CPUs in my system. :(

David Simpson
February 1st 06, 10:28 PM
"Boe" > wrote in
:

> Bummer - I know that I need a better video card (850 currently) But I
> was hoping that the CPUs would help soon. FEAR is currently my
> standard by which all other games are judged. (I've tried Doom3,
> Quake4, Half Life2, COD2, FarCry)

The latest video driver DO use the dual cores, so it will help some to have
a dual core. See the reviews of the FX-60 (top of the line dual core, and
what AMD considers thier fastest CPU)

/ David Simpson \
| |
| http://www.nyx.net/~dsimpson |
|We got to go to the crappy town where I'm a hero.|
\_______________________________________________/

Jared Richardson
February 2nd 06, 12:25 AM
If it encourages you at all, I'm running dual Opterons (240s at 1.4 ghz) and
they play FEAR great. I'm running 1024x768 with almost all the settings on
high. If memory serves, I backed down two settings a bit but the rest are
maxed. I just upgraded to a 6800 GS w/256 megs of memory and the box has 2
gigs of ram.

Given that FEAR's minimum spec is a 1.7 ghz box, I wasn't sure if the video
card would help enough, but it does just fine for me.

Jared
http://jaredrichardson.net