PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Nforce3 Chipset Fan?

No Spam
January 30th 06, 08:15 PM
I've got an MSI NForce3, socket 939 motherboard, and the chipset fan is
very loud. It's a media center PC, so noise is bad, very bad!

Can anyone recommend a quiet replacement? Or offer any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Wes Newell
January 30th 06, 08:46 PM
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:15:37 -0600, No Spam wrote:

> I've got an MSI NForce3, socket 939 motherboard, and the chipset fan is
> very loud. It's a media center PC, so noise is bad, very bad!
>
> Can anyone recommend a quiet replacement? Or offer any other suggestions?

Replace with passive cooler.

dino
January 30th 06, 11:02 PM
something like this might do it

http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=product_detail&pid=2486&mcid=17

http://www.zalmanusa.com/

they show 3 models on Zalmans website...here is the idea..now look them up.

dino
January 30th 06, 11:35 PM
forget it..those won't work with that model of M/B..will hit video card, you
may just have to find some low profile Ram sinks and use them.

bill
February 5th 06, 08:42 AM
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:15:37 -0600, No Spam > wrote:

>I've got an MSI NForce3, socket 939 motherboard, and the chipset fan is
>very loud. It's a media center PC, so noise is bad, very bad!
>
>Can anyone recommend a quiet replacement? Or offer any other suggestions?
>
>Thanks!

what's the advantage of a nforce3 socket 939 motherboard ? AGP ?

dino
February 5th 06, 07:54 PM
Nforce 3 939 are AGP boards..yes so that is the advantage if you don't want
to replace a decent video card yet. The only reason I went this way was to
keep my X800XL..so I could have a newer system A64-3700 San Diego and keep
running a $300 CDN video.