PDA

View Full Version : GA-K8N Pro-SLi ..NForce4 Raid problems.. please help

chris west
January 22nd 06, 04:06 PM
I'm trying to get my new system up and running but I've come across a
stubborn problem with the NForce4 raid .I have 2 Maxtor SATA 120gig hd's
setup as my raid stripe, the computer sees it ok and boots into it after xp
is installed but after about 10 seconds i get a flash of a blue screen and
it reboots .I've updated to the latest Bios F7 and tried different class
mode (0104) on the SATA channel in the Bios as per the G/Byte FAQ page ,I'm
using a Q-Tec gold 550w PSU with a 3700+ San Diego cpu and 2 X 512mb Corsair
XMS pc3200 c2 (that i'm running at c3 to try and get it going!), I've
Memtest68+ the RAM which is ok. I have a single XFX 6800gt installed . When
i boot in safe mode it gets as far as C:/Windows/windows32/drivers/mup.sys
then reboots. This is driving me nuts so any help would be gratefully
accepted.

January 22nd 06, 10:25 PM
Mup.sys is mapping for NICs, turn off your NICs and try again.
Possibly and old setting left in XP, turn on Hidden devices in Device
Manager and check for a minport driver without a matching network card.
If you find it the uninstall by using the lines below in a cmd/batch file:

PAUSE Don't forget to show hidden devices
Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
devmgmt.msc

"chris west" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to get my new system up and running but I've come across a
> stubborn problem with the NForce4 raid .I have 2 Maxtor SATA 120gig hd's
> setup as my raid stripe, the computer sees it ok and boots into it after
> xp is installed but after about 10 seconds i get a flash of a blue screen
> and it reboots .I've updated to the latest Bios F7 and tried different
> class mode (0104) on the SATA channel in the Bios as per the G/Byte FAQ
> page ,I'm using a Q-Tec gold 550w PSU with a 3700+ San Diego cpu and 2 X
> 512mb Corsair XMS pc3200 c2 (that i'm running at c3 to try and get it
> going!), I've Memtest68+ the RAM which is ok. I have a single XFX 6800gt
> installed . When i boot in safe mode it gets as far as
> C:/Windows/windows32/drivers/mup.sys then reboots. This is driving me
> nuts so any help would be gratefully accepted.

chris west
January 22nd 06, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the reply, yes i had the onboard nic disabled .I've just noticed
the display controller is sharing an IRQ with firewire, usb 1.1 and an ide
controller ,this can't be right surely, i'm going to disable the 1394 do you
rekon i should try and force the display controller onto another IRQ? what
would be causing this?

thanks again.

"X" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Mup.sys is mapping for NICs, turn off your NICs and try again.
> Possibly and old setting left in XP, turn on Hidden devices in Device
> Manager and check for a minport driver without a matching network card.
> If you find it the uninstall by using the lines below in a cmd/batch file:
>
> PAUSE Don't forget to show hidden devices
> Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
> devmgmt.msc
>

> "chris west" > wrote in message
>> I'm trying to get my new system up and running but I've come across a
>> stubborn problem with the NForce4 raid .I have 2 Maxtor SATA 120gig hd's
>> setup as my raid stripe, the computer sees it ok and boots into it after
>> xp is installed but after about 10 seconds i get a flash of a blue screen
>> and it reboots .I've updated to the latest Bios F7 and tried different
>> class mode (0104) on the SATA channel in the Bios as per the G/Byte FAQ
>> page ,I'm using a Q-Tec gold 550w PSU with a 3700+ San Diego cpu and 2 X
>> 512mb Corsair XMS pc3200 c2 (that i'm running at c3 to try and get it
>> going!), I've Memtest68+ the RAM which is ok. I have a single XFX 6800gt
>> installed . When i boot in safe mode it gets as far as
>> C:/Windows/windows32/drivers/mup.sys then reboots. This is driving me
>> nuts so any help would be gratefully accepted.

January 22nd 06, 10:50 PM
Best to just uninstall all/most of those drivers and let the OS re-install
them on the next boot.
Make sure you get rid of any that are no longer relevant and or greyed out
using the cmds I gave you earlier.
In my case a NIC couldn't work because a non existent version was still
occupying the resources.

You can also do a Google on "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" to get full
step by step tutorials in how to go about all this.

"chris west" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply, yes i had the onboard nic disabled .I've just
> noticed the display controller is sharing an IRQ with firewire, usb 1.1
> and an ide controller ,this can't be right surely, i'm going to disable
> the 1394 do you rekon i should try and force the display controller onto
> another IRQ? what would be causing this?
>
> thanks again.

topo
March 4th 06, 06:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

I had a similar problem in which I thought was the raid chipset or the
hard drives. I wasn't able to install Windows, and it would freeze or
blue screen of death on me.

I used memtest86 from: http://www.memtest86.com/

I quickly found out that I had a bad memory stick.

I'm now in the middle of installing windows XP. I'll let you know how
it goes.

I hope this helps,
Topher

My Setup:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 - 4400+ (Toledo Core)
GA-K8N Pro-SLI
NVidia 7800 GT
Antech P180 Case
x2 Western Digital Caviar Sata II 250GB (Raid-1)
Asus DVD-E616A - 16x DVD Drive
Plextor PX-716A - 2 Layer DVD burner
It was 2GB of memory, but now 1GB. I'll return the other DIMM for an
exchange. Then I'll be back to 2GB.