PDA

View Full Version : XP can't find hard drives to install

AKA gray asphalt
January 21st 06, 01:26 AM
When I try to install XP the setup says that it
can't find any hard drives.

The CD is on IDE 1 and the drives are on IDE 2.

One has an old version of XP that I want to
delete.

The instructions say that the CD should be on IDE
1.

I've tried to boot with RAID on and off in the
bios.

The bios only shows IDE 1 under Std, CMOS Features

It seems RAID (hardware) has to be on for the
drives on IDE1 to show up.

I've got another box with the same motherboard and
it's running fine but I have little idea why.

Andy
January 21st 06, 10:10 PM
Have you loaded the raid / sata driver by choosing to hit F6 to install disk
driver in the early stages of the XP install?
Usually you need it ready on a floppy.

"AKA gray asphalt" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> When I try to install XP the setup says that it can't find any hard
> drives.
>
> The CD is on IDE 1 and the drives are on IDE 2.
>
> One has an old version of XP that I want to delete.
>
> The instructions say that the CD should be on IDE 1.
>
> I've tried to boot with RAID on and off in the bios.
>
> The bios only shows IDE 1 under Std, CMOS Features
>
> It seems RAID (hardware) has to be on for the drives on IDE1 to show up.
>
> I've got another box with the same motherboard and it's running fine but I
> have little idea why.

AKA gray asphalt
January 21st 06, 10:14 PM
"Andy" > wrote in message
> Have you loaded the raid / sata driver by
> choosing to hit F6 to install disk driver in the
> early stages of the XP install?
> Usually you need it ready on a floppy.
>
> "AKA gray asphalt" >
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> When I try to install XP the setup says that it
>> can't find any hard drives.
>>
>> The CD is on IDE 1 and the drives are on IDE 2.
>>
>> One has an old version of XP that I want to
>> delete.
>>
>> The instructions say that the CD should be on
>> IDE 1.
>>
>> I've tried to boot with RAID on and off in the
>> bios.
>>
>> The bios only shows IDE 1 under Std, CMOS
>> Features
>>
>> It seems RAID (hardware) has to be on for the
>> drives on IDE1 to show up.
>>
>> I've got another box with the same motherboard
>> and it's running fine but I have little idea
>> why.

Thanks Andy. I'll have to buy a floppy since the
USB floppy won't work. Is there some help you can
give me for what files to copy from the CD to the
floppy? I'm sorry to be so lame.
: -)

andy
January 21st 06, 11:25 PM
What board do you have - manufacturer and model?
"AKA gray asphalt" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> Have you loaded the raid / sata driver by choosing to hit F6 to install
>> disk driver in the early stages of the XP install?
>> Usually you need it ready on a floppy.
>>
>> "AKA gray asphalt" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> When I try to install XP the setup says that it can't find any hard
>>> drives.
>>>
>>> The CD is on IDE 1 and the drives are on IDE 2.
>>>
>>> One has an old version of XP that I want to delete.
>>>
>>> The instructions say that the CD should be on IDE 1.
>>>
>>> I've tried to boot with RAID on and off in the bios.
>>>
>>> The bios only shows IDE 1 under Std, CMOS Features
>>>
>>> It seems RAID (hardware) has to be on for the drives on IDE1 to show up.
>>>
>>> I've got another box with the same motherboard and it's running fine but
>>> I have little idea why.
>
> Thanks Andy. I'll have to buy a floppy since the USB floppy won't work. Is
> there some help you can give me for what files to copy from the CD to the
> floppy? I'm sorry to be so lame.
> : -)

AKA gray asphalt
January 22nd 06, 03:26 AM
Andy, It's a Gigabyte 915PL PX Turbo

andy
January 22nd 06, 11:56 AM
I am assuming your board is of the GA-8I915PL family try this page for the
drivers...

http://uk.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8I915PL-G%20(Rev%202.x).htm

Under RAID driver see the first download (unless you are running XP 64bit
then it will be the last in that section). Load it onto a floppy and hit F6
when prompted early in the setup.

"AKA gray asphalt" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Andy, It's a Gigabyte 915PL PX Turbo

AKA gray asphalt
January 22nd 06, 11:29 PM
"andy" > wrote in message
>I am assuming your board is of the GA-8I915PL
>family try this page for the drivers...
>
> http://uk.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8I915PL-G%20(Rev%202.x).htm
>
> Under RAID driver see the first download (unless
> you are running XP 64bit then it will be the
> last in that section). Load it onto a floppy and
> hit F6 when prompted early in the setup.
>

> "AKA gray asphalt" > wrote
> in message news:[email protected]
>>
>> Andy, It's a Gigabyte 915PL PX Turbo

Andy, that seems to have worked. I really
appreciate your help.
: -)

AKA gray asphalt
January 23rd 06, 02:01 AM
Andy,
Do you have any idea why a hard disk would not let
the entire thing be partitioned? One drive is 80 G
but always leaves 8 Meg as unallocated so the
drives are different sizes. I wonder if this will
stop a mirror drive from working. I guess it has
to do with something I did with Drive Image or
Partition Magic.

"andy" > wrote in message
>I am assuming your board is of the GA-8I915PL
>family try this page for the drivers...
>
> http://uk.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8I915PL-G%20(Rev%202.x).htm
>
> Under RAID driver see the first download (unless
> you are running XP 64bit then it will be the
> last in that section). Load it onto a floppy and
> hit F6 when prompted early in the setup.
>

> "AKA gray asphalt" > wrote
> in message news:[email protected]
>>
>> Andy, It's a Gigabyte 915PL PX Turbo

andy
January 23rd 06, 09:57 PM
This is always the case when formatting (have never bothered to find out
why! it is probably the disk cache area) and as long as the two drives are
the same overall size it will not affect RAID.

Please to know you are up and running.

"AKA gray asphalt" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Andy,
> Do you have any idea why a hard disk would not let the entire thing be
> partitioned? One drive is 80 G but always leaves 8 Meg as unallocated so
> the drives are different sizes. I wonder if this will stop a mirror drive
> from working. I guess it has to do with something I did with Drive Image
> or Partition Magic.
>
> "andy" > wrote in message
>>I am assuming your board is of the GA-8I915PL family try this page for the
>>drivers...
>>
>> http://uk.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8I915PL-G%20(Rev%202.x).htm
>>
>> Under RAID driver see the first download (unless you are running XP 64bit
>> then it will be the last in that section). Load it onto a floppy and hit
>> F6 when prompted early in the setup.
>>

>> "AKA gray asphalt" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> Andy, It's a Gigabyte 915PL PX Turbo

AKA gray asphalt
January 24th 06, 12:00 AM
Andy, That's what's weird. They are both WD 80G
drives and one has the 8 meg unallocated and the
other doesn't, so I put the drive with the extra
space as the mirror. I hope it doesn't screw
things up. I know that the postition of some files
is really important.
Thanks again, so much
Ben Hoff

"andy" > wrote in message
> This is always the case when formatting (have
> never bothered to find out why! it is probably
> the disk cache area) and as long as the two
> drives are the same overall size it will not
> affect RAID.
>
> Please to know you are up and running.
>
> "AKA gray asphalt" > wrote
> in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> Andy,
>> Do you have any idea why a hard disk would not
>> let the entire thing be partitioned? One drive
>> is 80 G but always leaves 8 Meg as unallocated
>> so the drives are different sizes. I wonder if
>> this will stop a mirror drive from working. I
>> guess it has to do with something I did with
>> Drive Image or Partition Magic.
>>
>> "andy" > wrote in
>> message
>>>I am assuming your board is of the GA-8I915PL
>>>family try this page for the drivers...
>>>
>>> http://uk.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8I915PL-G%20(Rev%202.x).htm
>>>
>>> Under RAID driver see the first download
>>> (unless you are running XP 64bit then it will
>>> be the last in that section). Load it onto a
>>> floppy and hit F6 when prompted early in the
>>> setup.
>>>

>>> "AKA gray asphalt" >
>>> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]

AKA gray asphalt
January 27th 06, 11:36 PM
"andy" > wrote in message
> This is always the case when formatting (have
> never bothered to find out why! it is probably
> the disk cache area) and as long as the two
> drives are the same overall size it will not
> affect RAID.
>
> Please to know you are up and running.
>
> "AKA gray asphalt" > wrote
> in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> Andy,
>> Do you have any idea why a hard disk would not
>> let the entire thing be partitioned? One drive
>> is 80 G but always leaves 8 Meg as unallocated
>> so the drives are different sizes. I wonder if
>> this will stop a mirror drive from working. I
>> guess it has to do with something I did with
>> Drive Image or Partition Magic.
>>
>> "andy" > wrote in
>> message
>>>I am assuming your board is of the GA-8I915PL
>>>family try this page for the drivers...
>>>
>>> http://uk.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8I915PL-G%20(Rev%202.x).htm
>>>
>>> Under RAID driver see the first download
>>> (unless you are running XP 64bit then it will
>>> be the last in that section). Load it onto a
>>> floppy and hit F6 when prompted early in the
>>> setup.
>>>

>>> "AKA gray asphalt" >
>>> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]

I erased the partition that was taking up all but
8 megs of the hard drive and partitioned the 8
megs and then resized it to the entire hard drive
size and the 8 meg unused space was gone. I did
this because XP and Partition Magic gave error
messages when trying to format the larger area.
The whole drive partioned and formatted fine after
the above.

Andy, there is some kind of message about a
partition being beyond the boundary or inside of a
boundary that might make in unbootable. I think
the boundary is about 8 megs. Have you ever run
across that?

Falco
January 29th 06, 10:50 PM
The 8mb is the onboard cache of the hard drive.

"AKA gray asphalt" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "andy" > wrote in message
>> This is always the case when formatting (have never bothered to find out
>> why! it is probably the disk cache area) and as long as the two drives
>> are the same overall size it will not affect RAID.
>>
>> Please to know you are up and running.
>>
>> "AKA gray asphalt" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> Andy,
>>> Do you have any idea why a hard disk would not let the entire thing be
>>> partitioned? One drive is 80 G but always leaves 8 Meg as unallocated so
>>> the drives are different sizes. I wonder if this will stop a mirror
>>> drive from working. I guess it has to do with something I did with Drive
>>> Image or Partition Magic.

> I erased the partition that was taking up all but 8 megs of the hard drive
> and partitioned the 8 megs and then resized it to the entire hard drive
> size and the 8 meg unused space was gone. I did this because XP and
> Partition Magic gave error messages when trying to format the larger area.
> The whole drive partioned and formatted fine after the above.
>
> Andy, there is some kind of message about a partition being beyond the
> boundary or inside of a boundary that might make in unbootable. I think
> the boundary is about 8 megs. Have you ever run across that?

AKA gray asphalt
January 31st 06, 09:52 PM
"Falco" > wrote in message
> The 8mb is the onboard cache of the hard drive.
>
> "AKA gray asphalt" > wrote
> in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "andy" > wrote in
>> message
>>> This is always the case when formatting (have
>>> never bothered to find out why! it is probably
>>> the disk cache area) and as long as the two
>>> drives are the same overall size it will not
>>> affect RAID.
>>>
>>> Please to know you are up and running.
>>>
>>> "AKA gray asphalt" >
>>> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]

>> I erased the partition that was taking up all
>> but 8 megs of the hard drive and partitioned
>> the 8 megs and then resized it to the entire
>> hard drive size and the 8 meg unused space was
>> gone. I did this because XP and Partition Magic
>> gave error messages when trying to format the
>> larger area. The whole drive partioned and
>> formatted fine after the above.
>>
>> Andy, there is some kind of message about a
>> partition being beyond the boundary or inside
>> of a boundary that might make in unbootable. I
>> think the boundary is about 8 megs. Have you
>> ever run across that?

I think the cache is supposed to be RAM and some
drives don't have the 8M, unallocated.