PDA

View Full Version : Adding a HD

Mickey Mouse
January 20th 06, 02:55 AM
I have a WD 200GIG Hardrive in my old machine. Mobo died.
The hardrive was formatted to C: drive (no partitions)
I want to add this drive to my new system

My new system uses a K8 Triton Series Mobo. Gigabyte Ga-k8nsc-939.
And dual Core AMD,Athlon(k7) processor. System is running Windows Home + SP2
With a 400gig Wd HD formatted to C and D drives (200gig each).
I want to add the hardrive from my other machine who's mobo has died. to my
new system as a slave (E: drive) Will windows or bios automatically
recognize this drive or do I need to remove or set the jumper to slave.
I've been told all I need to do is remove any jumper and put it into the new
machine and it will be recognized and all I may need to do is format it. Is
this right?

Mickey

Beowulf
January 20th 06, 06:26 AM
Mickey Mouse wrote:
> I have a WD 200GIG Hardrive in my old machine. Mobo died.
> The hardrive was formatted to C: drive (no partitions)
> I want to add this drive to my new system
>
> My new system uses a K8 Triton Series Mobo. Gigabyte Ga-k8nsc-939.
> And dual Core AMD,Athlon(k7) processor. System is running Windows Home + SP2
> With a 400gig Wd HD formatted to C and D drives (200gig each).
> I want to add the hardrive from my other machine who's mobo has died. to my
> new system as a slave (E: drive) Will windows or bios automatically
> recognize this drive or do I need to remove or set the jumper to slave.
> I've been told all I need to do is remove any jumper and put it into the new
> machine and it will be recognized and all I may need to do is format it. Is
> this right?
>
> Mickey

Drivers fro hard drives are built into windows. if the drive works it
will be recognized.

if your mobo and drives supports "cable select" then set the jumper for
that setting. I prefer to set boot drive as master and extra drives as
slave - if both drives are on the same IDE channel and cable. The 200
GB drive will then pop up in windows as drive e: IF you don't have any
other drives (DVD, CD , flash, etc); otherwise it will take the next
free letter. e.g.:

HD0:
C: boot partition, primary
D: logical partition

e: cd/dvd drive

f: 200 gig drive

You can move the cd/dvd drive letter but that may break some installed
programs that look for the cd in e: