PDA

View Full Version : GA-7N400 Pro2 use of IDE3/4 for HD Help

Ockerr
January 16th 06, 07:12 AM
I have a Gigabyte GA_7N400 Pro 2 Mother Board XP Pro is installed on a Sata
160 gig Drive
on the IDE1 connection I have a CDwriter
On IDE2 conection I have a DVDwriter as Master and a 40gig Drive as slave.
At the moment IDE3 and IDE4 Raid is empty.
I have 2 spare 40 Gig Drives that I would like to put onto the IDE3 and
IDE4.
My question is
Would this work okay, would I have to worry about Drive Jumpers,
Would they automaticly work as 2 X 40 gig Drives, or would they become one
80 Gig Drive at the moment my Computer is running nicely and I dont want to
Balls this up, But I could do with the extra Drive space. Would there be a
Compatability Problem, or Jumper matching problem.
Much appreciate any Help

Cheers

jpsga
January 16th 06, 02:21 PM
"Ockerr" > wrote in message
>I have a Gigabyte GA_7N400 Pro 2 Mother Board XP Pro is installed on a Sata
>160 gig Drive
> on the IDE1 connection I have a CDwriter
> On IDE2 conection I have a DVDwriter as Master and a 40gig Drive as slave.
> At the moment IDE3 and IDE4 Raid is empty.
> I have 2 spare 40 Gig Drives that I would like to put onto the IDE3 and
> IDE4.
> My question is
> Would this work okay, would I have to worry about Drive Jumpers,
> Would they automaticly work as 2 X 40 gig Drives, or would they become one
> 80 Gig Drive at the moment my Computer is running nicely and I dont want
> to Balls this up, But I could do with the extra Drive space. Would there
> be a Compatability Problem, or Jumper matching problem.
> Much appreciate any Help
>
> Cheers

There shouldn't be any problems.
Jumper them as master with one on 3 and the other on 4.
In the BIOS 'Integrated Peripherals', try Onboard H/W RAID to disable and
GigaRAID to ATA.

Use the XP DISC MANAGER to set them up.
JPS

January 16th 06, 05:14 PM
jpsga wrote:
> "Ockerr" > wrote in message
> >I have a Gigabyte GA_7N400 Pro 2 Mother Board XP Pro is installed on a Sata
> >160 gig Drive
> > on the IDE1 connection I have a CDwriter
> > On IDE2 conection I have a DVDwriter as Master and a 40gig Drive as slave.
> > At the moment IDE3 and IDE4 Raid is empty.
> > I have 2 spare 40 Gig Drives that I would like to put onto the IDE3 and
> > IDE4.
> > My question is
> > Would this work okay, would I have to worry about Drive Jumpers,
> > Would they automaticly work as 2 X 40 gig Drives, or would they become one
> > 80 Gig Drive at the moment my Computer is running nicely and I dont want
> > to Balls this up, But I could do with the extra Drive space. Would there
> > be a Compatability Problem, or Jumper matching problem.
> > Much appreciate any Help
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> There shouldn't be any problems.
> Jumper them as master with one on 3 and the other on 4.
> In the BIOS 'Integrated Peripherals', try Onboard H/W RAID to disable and
> GigaRAID to ATA.
>
> Use the XP DISC MANAGER to set them up.
> JPS

That should work. I think the only issue is that Windows will need to
install new hardware for the GigaRAID chip if you haven't used it
before.

Ockerr
January 16th 06, 08:43 PM
Thanks Guys
I will give it a try today.
If you hear a Big Scream that will be me

Cheers

Ockerr
January 18th 06, 10:44 PM
Hi Guys I have done all that.
In Device Manager the Hard Drive is listed as being in the Computer.
I cannot see the Hard drive via My Computer or Iexplore.

I changed The Disable H/W Raid to Disable,
The Hard Drive is no longer visible in Device Manager

So I have now Changed it to enable.

Now the HD is Visable in device Manager But I cannot see it in iexplore or
My Computer.
I have Installed the Win drivers from Gigabyte.
Still cannot be seen.

"Ockerr" > wrote in message
>I have a Gigabyte GA_7N400 Pro 2 Mother Board XP Pro is installed on a Sata
>160 gig Drive
> on the IDE1 connection I have a CDwriter
> On IDE2 conection I have a DVDwriter as Master and a 40gig Drive as slave.
> At the moment IDE3 and IDE4 Raid is empty.
> I have 2 spare 40 Gig Drives that I would like to put onto the IDE3 and
> IDE4.
> My question is
> Would this work okay, would I have to worry about Drive Jumpers,
> Would they automaticly work as 2 X 40 gig Drives, or would they become one
> 80 Gig Drive at the moment my Computer is running nicely and I dont want
> to Balls this up, But I could do with the extra Drive space. Would there
> be a Compatability Problem, or Jumper matching problem.
> Much appreciate any Help
>
> Cheers
.................................................. ....
> There shouldn't be any problems.
> Jumper them as master with one on 3 and the other on 4.
> In the BIOS 'Integrated Peripherals', try Onboard H/W RAID to disable and
> GigaRAID to ATA.
>
> Use the XP DISC MANAGER to set them up.
> JPS

That should work. I think the only issue is that Windows will need to
install new hardware for the GigaRAID chip if you haven't used it
before.

Roger Hamlett
January 18th 06, 11:18 PM
"Ockerr" > wrote in message
> Hi Guys I have done all that.
> In Device Manager the Hard Drive is listed as being in the Computer.
> I cannot see the Hard drive via My Computer or Iexplore.
>
> I changed The Disable H/W Raid to Disable,
> The Hard Drive is no longer visible in Device Manager
>
> So I have now Changed it to enable.
>
> Now the HD is Visable in device Manager But I cannot see it in iexplore
> or My Computer.
> I have Installed the Win drivers from Gigabyte.
> Still cannot be seen.
Have you fdisked, and formatted the drive?.
Device manager shows drives.
Administative tools, computer management, disk management, shows drives.
However for hard disks, MyComputer, and Explorer, show _partitions_ (for
removable media, like floppies, they show drives). Hence a new drive (or
even an old drive with an unknown layout), will not appear in these
locations. Once a partition is put on a drive, and prepared, this
partition will become visible here.

Best Wishes

> "Ockerr" > wrote in message
>>I have a Gigabyte GA_7N400 Pro 2 Mother Board XP Pro is installed on a
>>Sata 160 gig Drive
>> on the IDE1 connection I have a CDwriter
>> On IDE2 conection I have a DVDwriter as Master and a 40gig Drive as
>> slave. At the moment IDE3 and IDE4 Raid is empty.
>> I have 2 spare 40 Gig Drives that I would like to put onto the IDE3 and
>> IDE4.
>> My question is
>> Would this work okay, would I have to worry about Drive Jumpers,
>> Would they automaticly work as 2 X 40 gig Drives, or would they become
>> one 80 Gig Drive at the moment my Computer is running nicely and I dont
>> want to Balls this up, But I could do with the extra Drive space. Would
>> there be a Compatability Problem, or Jumper matching problem.
>> Much appreciate any Help
>>
>> Cheers
> .................................................. ...
>> There shouldn't be any problems.
>> Jumper them as master with one on 3 and the other on 4.
>> In the BIOS 'Integrated Peripherals', try Onboard H/W RAID to disable
>> and
>> GigaRAID to ATA.
>>
>> Use the XP DISC MANAGER to set them up.
>> JPS
>
> That should work. I think the only issue is that Windows will need to
> install new hardware for the GigaRAID chip if you haven't used it
> before.

jpsga
January 19th 06, 01:54 AM
_. Once you see then in the DiskManager then right click the box and format.

"Ockerr" > wrote in message
> Hi Guys I have done all that.
> In Device Manager the Hard Drive is listed as being in the Computer.
> I cannot see the Hard drive via My Computer or Iexplore.
>
> I changed The Disable H/W Raid to Disable,
> The Hard Drive is no longer visible in Device Manager
>
> So I have now Changed it to enable.
>
> Now the HD is Visable in device Manager But I cannot see it in iexplore or
> My Computer.
> I have Installed the Win drivers from Gigabyte.
> Still cannot be seen.
>

> "Ockerr" > wrote in message
>>I have a Gigabyte GA_7N400 Pro 2 Mother Board XP Pro is installed on a
>>Sata 160 gig Drive
>> on the IDE1 connection I have a CDwriter
>> On IDE2 conection I have a DVDwriter as Master and a 40gig Drive as
>> slave. At the moment IDE3 and IDE4 Raid is empty.
>> I have 2 spare 40 Gig Drives that I would like to put onto the IDE3 and
>> IDE4.
>> My question is
>> Would this work okay, would I have to worry about Drive Jumpers,
>> Would they automaticly work as 2 X 40 gig Drives, or would they become
>> one 80 Gig Drive at the moment my Computer is running nicely and I dont
>> want to Balls this up, But I could do with the extra Drive space. Would
>> there be a Compatability Problem, or Jumper matching problem.
>> Much appreciate any Help
>>
>> Cheers
> .................................................. ...
>> There shouldn't be any problems.
>> Jumper them as master with one on 3 and the other on 4.
>> In the BIOS 'Integrated Peripherals', try Onboard H/W RAID to disable and
>> GigaRAID to ATA.
>>
>> Use the XP DISC MANAGER to set them up.
>> JPS
>
> That should work. I think the only issue is that Windows will need to
> install new hardware for the GigaRAID chip if you haven't used it
> before.

Ockerr
January 19th 06, 07:14 AM
Thanks Guys

Its all up and Running
Stupid me should have known that.

Sometimes the Brain Takes a rest, and forgets to wake up

Cheers

jpsga
January 20th 06, 12:11 AM
"Ockerr" > wrote in message
> Thanks Guys
>
> Its all up and Running
> Stupid me should have known that.
>
> Sometimes the Brain Takes a rest, and forgets to wake up
>
> Cheers

YAH!!
It is really a great board. Going on to two years and it delights me every
day.

Now that you have the drill down pat, it is time to make those drive a RAID
0 array.
JPS