PDA

View Full Version : Award Boot Block Bios v1.0, BIOS rom checksum error

Flip
January 13th 06, 09:26 AM
Hello

Here's my BIOs query for you wonderful fixit people:
A week prior to the checksum message described below my PC started up
with an extra and unusual message, something along the
lines of: "Primary Bios fail, now booting using secondary BIOS.." Of
course I shoud have got help then, but I figured as
long as everything eventually booted, why bother?

After about 7 or so boots like this I got a dreaded checksum error
message and could not access anything besides the floppy
drive. A "fundi" told me to flash the BIOS, but I've struggled finding
the correct one. Usually the ones I did try either
froze up everything or did not work at all. I downloaded most of the
flash utilities from a jetway site.

And unfortunately the Motherboard Utility CD has a flasher for an
Amibios chip. Aarrgh!!

Please, please put me one the trail of a flasher that works, or any
advice to help my ailing PC!

Thanks

Flipflop.

-----------------------
CPU : AMD Athlon 2000 xp
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-7VAX REV1.2, K7 Triton 400, FSB333
-----------------------------
First startup screen:
GA-622-32C VGA BIOS rev2.2 Gigabyte VGA Bios
32MB ram AGP4X
---------------------------------
Second screen:
Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0 Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software
Inc

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media

Drive media is: 1.44 MB

Remove disks or other media
Press any key to restart

Kenny
January 14th 06, 07:34 PM
First thing is change the m/b battery.

--
Kenny Cargill

"Flip" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Here's my BIOs query for you wonderful fixit people:
> A week prior to the checksum message described below my PC started up
> with an extra and unusual message, something along the
> lines of: "Primary Bios fail, now booting using secondary BIOS.." Of
> course I shoud have got help then, but I figured as
> long as everything eventually booted, why bother?
>
> After about 7 or so boots like this I got a dreaded checksum error
> message and could not access anything besides the floppy
> drive. A "fundi" told me to flash the BIOS, but I've struggled finding
> the correct one. Usually the ones I did try either
> froze up everything or did not work at all. I downloaded most of the
> flash utilities from a jetway site.
>
> And unfortunately the Motherboard Utility CD has a flasher for an
> Amibios chip. Aarrgh!!
>
> Please, please put me one the trail of a flasher that works, or any
> advice to help my ailing PC!
>
> Thanks
>
> Flipflop.
>

> -----------------------
> CPU : AMD Athlon 2000 xp
> MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-7VAX REV1.2, K7 Triton 400, FSB333
> -----------------------------
> First startup screen:
> GA-622-32C VGA BIOS rev2.2 Gigabyte VGA Bios
> 32MB ram AGP4X
> ---------------------------------
> Second screen:
> Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0 Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software
> Inc
>
> BIOS ROM checksum error
>
> Detecting floppy drive A media
>
> Drive media is: 1.44 MB
>
> Remove disks or other media
> Press any key to restart

Richo
January 16th 06, 10:46 AM
Try this flash utility http://www.uniflash.org/ . I used this just
recently on a board with exactly the same symptoms as yours....after
trying the standard Award utilities that come with the Gigabyte bios
files I gave Uniflash a go and it worked perfectly whereas the award
ones didn't...Good luck