PDA

View Full Version : X2 cooling advice

Don Burnette
January 13th 06, 03:27 AM
I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.

Are the heatsink/fans that come with these new X2 processors sufficient, or
is there a better one that I should get?

Thanks,

--
Don

PB
January 13th 06, 05:29 AM
Don Burnette wrote:
> I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
> probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.
>
> Are the heatsink/fans that come with these new X2 processors sufficient, or
> is there a better one that I should get?
>
> Thanks,

Others have opined that the stock fan at 70mm makes too much noise for
them. Suggestions have included a 80mm to 70mm fan adapter and a nice,
quiet 80mm fan.

Another suggestion is a different cooling fan and heatsink. This is a
nice one I use myself:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106607

If you are planning on any significant overclocking, then more exotic
cooling solutions may better suit your needs, such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835109123

Let us know your results.

p00lb0y

Malcolm
January 13th 06, 05:34 AM
PB wrote:

> Don Burnette wrote:
>> I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
>> probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.
>>
>> Are the heatsink/fans that come with these new X2 processors sufficient,
>> or is there a better one that I should get?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Others have opined that the stock fan at 70mm makes too much noise for
> them. Suggestions have included a 80mm to 70mm fan adapter and a nice,
> quiet 80mm fan.
>
> Another suggestion is a different cooling fan and heatsink. This is a
> nice one I use myself:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106607
>
> If you are planning on any significant overclocking, then more exotic
> cooling solutions may better suit your needs, such as:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835109123
>
> Let us know your results.
>
> p00lb0y
Hi
Mine has an 80mm fan as standard? Runs at 2860rpm...

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~figjam59/suse/X2_4400_CPU.jpg

CPU idles around 29 C and up to 41 C when running two instances of prime (OS
is SUSE Linux 10 64Bit) no overclocking yet.....

--
Cheers
Malcolm °¿°

General Schvantzkoph
January 13th 06, 05:40 AM
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:27:37 -0600, Don Burnette wrote:

> I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
> probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.
>
> Are the heatsink/fans that come with these new X2 processors sufficient, or
> is there a better one that I should get?
>
> Thanks,

I'm using this cooler on the same setup (4400+ on an MSI K8N Neo4)

Thermaltake A1838

Rodney Pont
January 13th 06, 09:06 AM
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:27:37 -0600, Don Burnette wrote:

> I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
>probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.

It doesn't say that this board supports X2

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=637

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Rodney Pont
January 13th 06, 09:11 AM
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:06:46 +0000 (GMT), Rodney Pont wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:27:37 -0600, Don Burnette wrote:
>
>> I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
>>probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.
>
>It doesn't say that this board supports X2
>
>http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=637

Whoops, I jumped in too early there. The page below shows which bios does support
the X2-4400

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support.php?type=119

--
Regards - Rodney Pont